2017 Boston Crusaders

34 minutes ago, Liahona said:

We all must admit that Crown did not become Champions by 2013 overnight...it took YEARS of hard work and dedication to build that program...I'm not as concerned about placement for Boston (even though I wouldn't complain about a decent jump) as I'd like to see them get to box 1 on the sheets...placement is harder to access because corps around you from year to year can be weaker/stronger than your OWN corps improvement and performance levels...Boston has clearly wanted to move up since 2012 (give or take)...and after about 5 years it is poised to do so competitively AFTER becoming stronger financially off the field first...again these things from a competitive standpoint don't happen overnight...Will I be excited if they do phenomenal this coming season as well?....ABSOLUTELY!!!

No argument here.  Crown built up from within over a 10 year period and did not expect to just leap up into medal contention.  Not sure Crown is the right comparison to make however.  There are pretty stark differences in fact. Crown certainly didn't hire away the staff from two championship winning corps.  Anyway your POV is a reasonable approach.  Be happy with every step forward and if things sometimes go better than expected so much the better.    As for this season, well I think it's pretty clear why it's being discussed.  

Edited by corpsband

The staff that Boston has hired presumably were not hired at Boston as one year miracle workers. There is a mutii year plan organizationally that has been undertaken. The long range goal as explained to me was to provide the best possible instructional environment for its members as well as exhibition performance opportunities for its marchers that are enriching and first class.  While its nice and all to predict a placement position for Boston in 2017, its Mgt and its BOD are looking further into  2018 and beyond as we speak toward the implementation and the execution of  its long range goals here. Like any long range goals, its probable, if not likely, there could be a few bumps along the road. So the people I talk with frequently at Boston are not looking at 2017 as the end all and be all here at all, but as just another step forward in the Boston Crusaders organization's multi year plan that was started well before this new staff at Boston was even hired, and which extends several more years into the future.

Edited by BRASSO

21 minutes ago, corpsband said:

No argument here.  Crown built up from within over a 10 year period and did not expect to just leap to into medal contention.  Not sure Crown is the right comparison to make however.  There are pretty stark differences in fact. Crown certainly didn't hire away the staff from two championship winning corps.  Anyway your POV is a reasonable approach.  Be happy with every step forward and if things sometimes go better than expected so much the better.    As for this season, well I think it's pretty clear why it's being discussed.  

To be fair.

I don't think the distinction of where these corps got their staff hinders the comparison too much. After a disappointing 2002 season, Crown got some Cadet/Star/Cavalier staff, and then climb up the ranks during a five year period and got pretty darned good quickly once they decided to go that direction.

I don't know Cadets history, but they jumped up pretty quickly in the early 80s after some rough years financially to be what they have been.  They got the best staff they could get.

Boston didn't force people to leave the other corps, there was a bit of drama going on that not many know about.  To me, it's almost like Boston is taking the Star of Indiana route, honestly.

Build a financially stable organization and then hire the best staff you can hire. The rest will follow.... Eventually, and sometimes rather quickly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

To be fair.

I don't think the distinction of where these corps got their staff hinders the comparison too much. After a disappointing 2002 season, Crown got some Cadet/Star/Cavalier staff, and then climb up the ranks during a five year period and got pretty darned good quickly once they decided to go that direction.

I don't know Cadets history, but they jumped up pretty quickly in the early 80s after some rough years financially to be what they have been.  They got the best staff they could get.

Boston didn't force people to leave the other corps, there was a bit of drama going on that not many know about.  To me, it's almost like Boston is taking the Star of Indiana route, honestly.

Build a financially stable organization and then hire the best staff you can hire. The rest will follow.... Eventually, and sometimes rather quickly.

There are all sorts of different historical precedents you could draw from.  But IMO (and others if one judges by various podcasts, news stories, etc..)  it's a fairly unique situation.   Corps admin,  senior staff,  even fans may take a long view.  But MM's -- some at least -- may have a somewhat shorter perspective. 

57 minutes ago, Liahona said:

We all must admit that Crown did not become Champions by 2013 overnight...it took YEARS of hard work and dedication to build that program...I'm not as concerned about placement for Boston (even though I wouldn't complain about a decent jump) as I'd like to see them get to box 1 on the sheets...placement is harder to access because corps around you from year to year can be weaker/stronger than your OWN corps improvement and performance levels...Boston has clearly wanted to move up since 2012 (give or take)...and after about 5 years it is poised to do so competitively AFTER becoming stronger financially off the field first...again these things from a competitive standpoint don't happen overnight...Will I be excited if they do phenomenal this coming season as well?....ABSOLUTELY!!!

This.

12 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

To be fair.

The only issue is BAC must recreate their style whereas STAR had no restraints unless they really really recreate Conquest. 

3 minutes ago, corpsband said:

There are all sorts of different historical precedents you could draw from.  But IMO (and others if one judges by various podcasts, news stories, etc..)  it's a fairly unique situation.   Corps admin,  senior staff,  even fans may take a long view.  But MM's -- some at least -- may have a somewhat shorter perspective. 

Also remember a 4 place jump which is huge puts them in 8th. 

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

TIC TIC | TOCK | TIC TIC TIC

This reminds me of NFL Draft Day... " The Boston Crusaders, you are now on the clock.... TIC.. TOC... TIC... TOC.... ".. lol

1 minute ago, Tobias said:

Also remember a 4 place jump which is huge puts them in 8th. 

As Cadets fans are always quick to point out, perspective is everything.  I think I just read over on that thread that finishing out the medals was considered a disappointing season.