2017 Boston Crusaders

Regardless who put the meme together, how does everyone feel about one corps "poaching" staff from another? As I recall, when Star did it at its inception, it was looked down upon.

Poaching is a fact of life in any organization. In this particular type of activity it becomes very emotional because of the visibility of staff or MM movement. It may be frowned upon but the poachers shouldn't be overtly gleeful about it, rubbing it in the poachees face is unnecessary. There is a saying that may apply: "People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said... but... they will remember how you made them feel". I have little doubt Star made some people pretty angry for their poaching.

1. I'm guessing, that early in the tour, issues, concerns, opportunities were not yet apparent, to the point where anyone was approached about coming to the Crusaders. Needs and opportunities may have started crystallizing after San Antonio. Feelers may have started going out by Allentown and if things got to the point as described in the Merri-Go-Round thread, more serious discussions were had and by Indy, plans were locked in.

Maybe the corps showed interest after last year, but the contacted parties became interested as this past season unfolded.

2. There was an approach made to Boston about a loan. That may have raised some questions and projections about the approaching groups future.

A very good decision by the BOD member to tell them no.

3. This group at Boston does some long range planning and they are patient. More patient that we on DCP are apparently.

I have until a few days ago fell into that category.

Says that guy that wants to put into place transfer restrictions on player movement.

lol..Oh you didn't...lol

Although I think a transfer policy is quite ridiculous ( sorry Brasso ) at least in a case of staff they are employees which many jobs have a policy ( as weak as it may be sometimes ) of a non compete clause in their contracts..No please we dont have to go further with this..lol

Good Luck Bac and Cadets as well I'm very sure they will be just fine with out without a few staff. ( goes for both corps ).

Regardless who put the meme together, how does everyone feel about one corps "poaching" staff from another? As I recall, when Star did it at its inception, it was looked down upon.

I don't consider it "poaching" at all. Staff members have the right to leave organization 'A' to go to 'B' if they so choose, barring contractual items that might have a bearing on that.

To me it is the same concept as members moving from one corps to another. It is incumbent on corps 'A' to provide an environment that will keep their staff happy to stay and not want to leave, just as it is up to corps 'A' to provide an experience that will keep their members from desiring to move.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 8

Poaching is a very ugly word, especially for this. People move on from organizations all the time, for a variety of reasons.

• Like 1

Poaching is a fact of life in any organization. In this particular type of activity it becomes very emotional because of the visibility of staff or MM movement. It may be frowned upon but the poachers shouldn't be overtly gleeful about it, rubbing it in the poachees face is unnecessary. There is a saying that may apply: "People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said... but... they will remember how you made them feel". I have little doubt Star made some people pretty angry for their poaching.

I agree with this 100%

I left one company to move to another. We weren't direct competitors but we needed the same skills. I was bound by my ethics to not immediately turn around and headhunt members of my former team to defect and join me at my new company. If they chose to come on their own, that's fine, and I lost no sleep.

I would prefer that the norm in DCI is to build an environment and culture of excellence and teamwork within your corps that would attract, develop and retain the talent rather than use preditory practices with unbalanced resources to "buy" a staff to manufacture overnight success.

Edited by Relics

I don't consider it "poaching" at all. Staff members have the right to leave organization 'A' to go to 'B' if they so choose, barring contractual items that might have a bearing on that.

To me it is the same concept as members moving from one corps to another. It is incumbent on corps 'A' to provide an environment that will keep their staff happy to stay and not want to leave, just as it is up to corps 'A' to provide an experience that will keep their members from desiring to move.

I would agree especially in this activity. People also think as far as good staff, designers and yes even judges that there is a mile long line to do these jobs, there isn't. Lets face it we are a very inbred activity , always have been. The key in any corps , staff or MMs is being able to hold on. Many can do that , some it's a revolving door.

Corps with that revolving door often it's the staff member just as often it's the corps for many reasons. Believe it or not there are even corps ( and staff ) people will stay away from.

Both corps will do just fine . even with Cadets there can be lots of reasons but noone leaves after 17 years and 10 years either without a good reason OR just to do something different. Sometimes there's no big dramatic reason, It actually can be simple.

OK with George it's usually dramatic....lol..couldnt pass that up...lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Its much more complicated that this... but suffice to say, I see no benefit to revisiting the issue discussion of the enactment of a sensible, rational, marcher transfer policy between competing teams, as everyone on here has had ample opportunity to make their case for or against such a policy proposal that all amateur youth sports leagues in the world have. Besides, as as been mentioned numerous times on here before, there is little to no appetite for even to have discussions at DCI for even a consideration of a proposal like this by any of the Corps, nor on the part of DCI, so its essentially a non starter in DCI, and so thats that.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree with this 100%

I left one company to move to another. We weren't direct competitors but we needed the same skills. I was bound by my ethics to not immediately turn around and headhunt members of my former team to defect and join me at my new company. If they chose to come on their own, that's fine, and I lost no sleep.

I would prefer that the norm in DCI is to build an environment and culture of excellence and teamwork within your corps that would attract, develop and retain the talent rather than use preditory practices with unbalanced resources to "buy" a staff to manufacture overnight success.

There are often cases of people leaving one corps for another, simply because they want to work within another organization.

As an example, Van Mathews left Madison after the 1999 season, and it was not because he was poached or something malicious.