2017 Boston Crusaders

suffice it to say that the use of the word "slight" does not apply in any shape, form, or fashion.

e3e332bd14423f0921236f46d42dc33092ec8360

• Like 1

Whether it was the grey feather dusters the Cadets wore or the plumes the Crusaders wore, you're spot on. Bigger is not always better. The intent was to make the marcher look taller when the corps moved from the 8 inch to the 10 inch now to the foot-long plumes. Then they started getting bushy...and looking sloppy from the grandstands and box. Look at any photo of a file, any corps, even BD. The angle of the plume, having tired over the summer season, is no longer a straight line. And the higher the plume, the greater the deviance. There is an upper maxim for excellence and these hats have gone past it, whether the 3 corps I mentioned, Crown, or the horizontal versions worn by Cavaliers and SCV. I'm sure the price increases per size; again it's just the uniform companies making money at the expense of the corps.

That all being said, going hatless is not the answer.

Unless one is doing as energetic and gymnastic, multi-spacial-dimensional show as did Bluecoats, going hatless detracts from the ensemble look. Heads are shaped differently, hair colors distract, haircuts vary, and marchers lack the dimension of height which the hat and plume adds. Height and unity are benefits when the heads are covered. While everyone is pushing new, modern, and newer, there is a wisdom to be found in why did corps do certain things and maintain these ways. Being closeminded or because it is militaristic are not the only answers.

I like plumes but very few corps work in the head/plume angles which can make a show look

Sloppy if not addressed. The longer the plume, the worse the inconsistency if tbody work/head angles not perfect.

i don't know why so many on here want to run from it. paying top dollar is a good thing, right?

I don't think anyone is running from these questions per se...I think it's rude (in essence another round-about-way of asking someone what they make) and that rudeness mentality has been seeded in the american persona since the industrial revolution...it's personal for one...and quite frankly not anyone's business either...unless you are a close friend with some one you should not ask how much they make...period...its like asking someone on a first date how good they are in bed...poor taste IMO.

I don't think anyone is running from these questions per se...I think it's rude (in essence another round-about-way of asking someone what they make) and that rudeness mentality has been seeded in the american persona since the industrial revolution...it's personal for one...and quite frankly not anyone's business either...unless you are a close friend with some one you should not ask how much they make...period...its like asking someone on a first date how good they are in bed...poor taste IMO.

man that's a reach. trying to equate "BAC is paying top dollar for the staff" to "hey X how much money do you make" ?

nope -- not buying that spin.

and it doesn't jive very well with the "slight increase" narrative at all (which more than one poster has put forth.)

looks to me like many BAC honks are indeed running from it.

which of course leads logically to "why would they do that?"

and hey -- *I'm* not the one continually bringing the issue up. it's BAC honks who keep playing Peter in the Garden.

I honestly don't care other than I hope all staff of all corps are adequately compensated. As far as I am concerned, corps staff earn every penny they receive, and probably they deserve more.

• Like 2

Has anyone discussed if the BD are paying their big guns top dollar, especially since most have been there for many years.

On DCP ? Not for a few years at least, that I'm aware of . George Hopkins at the Cadets makes btw $182,000- $200,000 per year at YEA according to the 990's someone mentioned to me off hand in a conversation we were having that did not revolve around salaries.. But why people that are outside of all these Corps seem hugely interested in these things escapes me. Its between employer and employee. If YEA paid GH a million bucks per year or $50,000 per year, thats all their business, not mine. I could care less, frankly.

Edited by BRASSO

In an attempt to go back to Boston...

So I love Ryan George, I think he's a pretty awesome composer. I heard this piece at PASIC last year and really fell in love with his percussion writing. Really beautiful writing.

He's proven himself as an INCREDIBLY capable arranger, some bumps in the road the last few years but that doesn't mean he isn't still an awesome composer. I wasn't aware until recently that he actually was involved with three of my favorite high school shows:

Found it interesting that he is still arranging after all their staff changes, but honestly maybe it's what is given to him to arrange that might have been the issue a few times in recent years. I really like the way he voices things, and there have been some really great moments in their last few shows even if there have been some issues overall. I'm interested in seeing what he does next year, and what he is given to work with, cause he was on a ROLL with shows like 2011 and 2012.

Round Rock's surge (imo) was all about the visual. Jeremy Hunt and Jude Boughton.

I don't disagree they've developed an amazing visual program, but music is definitely up there too. They score better musically than visually, and their effect scores are pretty even, won music at Nats in semis in 2013. Think it's been a joint effort. I haven't been as big of a fan of their last two shows musically sans Ryan George myself, though last year was very beautiful.

I don't disagree they've developed an amazing visual program, but music is definitely up there too. They score better musically than visually, and their effect scores are pretty even, won music at Nats in semis in 2013. Think it's been a joint effort. I haven't been as big of a fan of their last two shows musically sans Ryan George myself, though last year was very beautiful.

no doubt. maybe the music was already way ahead of the visual and the addition of the visual guys pushed them forward a lot.

interestingly both those guys do way better in MB than DC.