7. Blue Stars: 17.85
  8. Phantom: 17.82
  9. Blue Knights: 17.78
  10. Crossmen: 17.25
  11. Academy: 17.13
  12. Crusaders: 16.82

Thank you, it was close at the top.

Thank you, it was close at the top.

Turns out SCV and Bloo were tied in percussion going into finals. Bloo took ensemble by 0.05 but SCV had field by 0.35 to win the Sanford

Edited by snare_guy_83

I believe that Show Design even seeps into the Percussion rankings these days now.

For example, without mentioning any Corps names here, one can go onto youtube and watch some of these listed Drumlines and compare the lines ourselves ( granted, its usually just the snares, tenors, bass ). Some of these drumlines were dragged down a bit by the Show Designs, imo. For example, my ears and eyes tell me that the Cadets had a far better drumline than " 5th " place from watching their line play on youtube. Also, for perspective, just a couple of years back, when the Bluecoats Show Design was not quite as good as this years, their Drumline ( still found there on youtube ) was WAYYY better than they were getting credit for. I personally do not think that this season's Bluecoats percussion line was as good as that of just 2 years ago. ( people here can youtube the 2 Bluecoats lines, and decide for themselves ). Was Academy's Percussion line this season at the same quality levels as that of Crossmen's line ? Hhmmnn.. I don't know about this. But Academy's Show Design might just have elevated their line to swim in these same elevated waters for their Drumline this season as well, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I believe that Show Design even seeps into the Percussion rankings these days now.

For example, without mentioning any Corps names here, one can go onto youtube and watch some of these listed Drumlines and compare the lines ourselves ( granted, its usually just the snares, tenors, bass ). Some of these drumlines were dragged down a bit by the Show Designs, imo. For example, my ears and eyes tell me that the Cadets had a far better drumline than " 5th " place from watching their line play on youtube. Also, for perspective, just a couple of years back, when the Bluecoats Show Design was not quite as good as this years, their Drumline ( still found there on youtube ) was WAYYY better than they were getting credit for. I personally do not think that this season's Bluecoats percussion line was as good as that of just 2 years ago. ( people here can youtube the 2 Bluecoat lines, and decide what they think as well ). Was Academy's Percussion line at the same levels as Crossmen's ? Hhmmnn.. I don't know about this. But Academy's Show Design might just have elevated their line to swim in these elevated waters for them too, this season, imo.

Watching lot videos is no way to say who is best or not in the field

• Like 3

Blue Stars had a great year as I expected, looking forward to seeing what they have in store for next year!

The Blue Stars percussion has been a force for quite a few years, now. Mapes, Grom, and the rest of the percussion staff are a huge asset to the corps and have taken that caption to new levels.

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 1

Watching lot videos is no way to say who is best or not in the field

Yes, and no.

The biggest drawback is A) no movements.. drummers are stationary and B) most lots videos are showing snares, tenors, bass only.

That said, one can get a pretty good read on the quality of the percussion playing abilities, demand, variety, uniformity of playing, etc and the like.

If we watch a baseball hitter hit practice balls out of the park with frequency in the practice batting cage, and see this done over and over again, while its no guarantee the hitter can do this in real games, we can be pretty sure that the hitter has home run potential. I think I saw enough of the Cadets drumline this season... both live in the lots, and on video in the lots, and how they marched and played live, and on tape on more than a dozen times this season to convince myself that the 2017 Cadets Percussion line was no " 5th place " line. The Show Design pullded their line down to as low as 5th, imo. But if others here disagree with that assessment, and don't think the Show Design negatively impacted even their Percussion lines performance execution scores, thats cool and all too... no problem.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, and no.

The biggest drawback is A) no movements.. drummers are stationary and B) most lots videos are showing snares, tenors, bass only.

That said, one can get a pretty good read on the quality of the percussion playing abilities.

If we watch a baseball hitter hit practice balls out of the park with frequency in the practice batting cage, and see this done over and over again, while its no guarantee the hitter can do this in real games, we can be pretty sure that the hitter has home run potential. I think I saw enough of the Cadets drumline this season... both live in the lots, and on video in the lots, and how they marched and played live, and on tape on more than a dozen times this season to convince myself that the 2017 Cadets Percussion line was no " 5th place " line. The Show Design pullded their line down to as low as 5th, imo. But if others here disagree with that assessment, and don't think the Show Design negatively impacted even their Percussion scores, thats cool and all too.

A hitter in batting practice is essentially doing the same thing as he does in a game. Nobody is ever going to ask him to swing a bat while he's running around the field.

There is a big difference between playing well in the lot, and playing well on the move with listening environments, body responsibilities, the added physical effort etc.