Percussion: Overall Placements

Bottom line: you can't evaluate a percussion section purely via youtube.

Well, I'll be darned.

Crown. Wack. Wack. Double wack..single 4..paradiddle single 4..a bit of rolls. Followed by lots more wacking

Crown. Wack. Wack. Double wack..single 4..paradiddle single 4..a bit of rolls. Followed by lots more wacking

Incredibly accurate

Oh brother. I guess it does need repeating... I did not state that percussion staffers do not assess the percussion campers strictly and exclusively on a standstill format, nor that they do not often evaluate them with their drumming skills ( snare, tenors, bass ) " while on the move " as well. ( but yes, much of the evaluation is indeed done indoors for many Corps at tryouts and done in a standstill format)

I said ( quote )... " Most Corps offseason tryout camps do not select their drummers skills for a spot in line, from an evaluation on a competition on a football field among the drummers in competition from their FOOTBALL FIELD MARCHING MOVEMENTS... which is what we are talking about here ". ( end of quote ) SO... if drummers skills can be assessed by staffers ( and spots in line selected ) from a non football field marching movement competition among competing drummers ( which is primarily how its done by most Corps ), then I and others can make similar assessments.( I think we have just about beat this horse to a pulp now, and time to put the whip away.)

Here's your first word on the matter regarding what drum corps staffs (of which you have not been a part) do or don't do in an audition situation:

"If drummers skills can only be evaluated in field competition, than every off season camp tryout would have every drummer evaluated by staff on a football field, and in movement while playing on the football field throughout the evaluation process."

This is a straw man argument, so its irrelevant. Nobody said the only way to evaluate drumlines (which are different from percussion sections) is on the field in competition. You were the first to bring up a football field.

"But most don't. Drummers are selected ( and rejected ) primarily in a standstill competition among other drummers for a spot in line."

Sure sounds like you're saying exactly what I said you said. Here's a hint on how I know... I quoted you in my post!

"So if staffers can make important decisions on which drummers are skilled better than other drummers from essentially a standstill, non marching environment, it most certainly calls into question that drummers abilities need to be seen in a marching environment on a football field. Most staffers don't even do this when they watch, and make assessments on the comparative abilities of drummers at camp tryouts.. If they don't see this as most critical in determining who can drum better, and make decisions on who gets a spot in the drumline and who does not, than neither do I ( nor anyone else)"

Here's the part where you show your ignorance, since you don't seem to be able to grasp the difference between evaluating auditioning members and evaluating the 12 best drum lines in the world. Here's a tip. The majority of the auditioning members are not currently members of the top 12 battery sections in the world. Its a pretty big difference. You also try to put your ears in the same conversation as that of the best in the business. Its pretty slick for sure, but we all know better.

"Again, my essential point however, hopefully not lost in all this, is that show design bleeds now into the percussion scores. Thats just my opinion. Nobody has to accept that opinion either. I make no demands that they do. its just a discussion thought, no more, no less. I think Cadets subpar show design pulled their drum scores down a bit, and into 5th place in Percussion. Can't prove it though, Can't be disproved either. So thats that, I guess."

You're welcome to that opinion. Its just a sadly uninformed one that dismisses half of the conversation by your own admission. Maybe Cadets were better than a top 5 drum line, but since the caption isn't called drum line, but instead called percussion, your point isn't particularly well supported either.

Here's your first word on the matter regarding what drum corps staffs (of which you have not been a part) do or don't do in an audition situation:

"If drummers skills can only be evaluated in field competition, than every off season camp tryout would have every drummer evaluated by staff on a football field, and in movement while playing on the football field throughout the evaluation process."

This is a straw man argument, so its irrelevant. Nobody said the only way to evaluate drumlines (which are different from percussion sections) is on the field in competition. You were the first to bring up a football field.

"But most don't. Drummers are selected ( and rejected ) primarily in a standstill competition among other drummers for a spot in line."

Sure sounds like you're saying exactly what I said you said. Here's a hint on how I know... I quoted you in my post!

"So if staffers can make important decisions on which drummers are skilled better than other drummers from essentially a standstill, non marching environment, it most certainly calls into question that drummers abilities need to be seen in a marching environment on a football field. Most staffers don't even do this when they watch, and make assessments on the comparative abilities of drummers at camp tryouts.. If they don't see this as most critical in determining who can drum better, and make decisions on who gets a spot in the drumline and who does not, than neither do I ( nor anyone else)"

Here's the part where you show your ignorance, since you don't seem to be able to grasp the difference between evaluating auditioning members and evaluating the 12 best drum lines in the world. Here's a tip. The majority of the auditioning members are not currently members of the top 12 battery sections in the world. Its a pretty big difference. You also try to put your ears in the same conversation as that of the best in the business. Its pretty slick for sure, but we all know better.

"Again, my essential point however, hopefully not lost in all this, is that show design bleeds now into the percussion scores. Thats just my opinion. Nobody has to accept that opinion either. I make no demands that they do. its just a discussion thought, no more, no less. I think Cadets subpar show design pulled their drum scores down a bit, and into 5th place in Percussion. Can't prove it though, Can't be disproved either. So thats that, I guess."

You're welcome to that opinion. Its just a sadly uninformed one that dismisses half of the conversation by your own admission. Maybe Cadets were better than a top 5 drum line, but since the caption isn't called drum line, but instead called percussion, your point isn't particularly well supported either.

You made your point. I made mine. 'nuff said on it now, imo.

If you and 3 others here that run together in a pack want to become like " Brazilian soccer fans ", then our advice would be to go for it. But only if you 4 can play a Brazilian drum, while simultaneously demonstrating to us that you can all collectively do the rhumba in unison on a soccer field.

Has nothing to do with running as a pack. It actually has to do with having a clue on how to judge and how auditions are done

Has nothing to do with running as a pack. It actually has to do with having a clue on how to judge and how auditions are done

I was once a judge ( same as you )... Esmass Circuit credentialed and all. You don't have " a clue" on what I know, or don't know about judging, nor what I know or don't know on how auditions are done or not done. So stop with your arrogant, know it all , condenscending attitude. Its not only unbecoming, its ignorant, and silly.

Edited by BRASSO

When evaluating the scores for percussion. Sometimes we forget that's not only the execution of the battery members, but also the execution of the front ensemble, the staging of the battery, and the arrangements (how well the front ensemble and battery arrangements work well together and with the brass arrangements). So you may have a phenomenal battery, but if there's weakness in other areas of the evaluation, you may question why drumline X scored lower than drumline Y.

That said, Vanguard was the complete package, consistent strengths in all areas. The tenor line was ridiculous. The Front ensemble executed Sandi's gorgeous arrangement so well. It blended beautifully with the brass arrangement. The staging was excellent and the battery was clean, playing a very challenging Rennick arrangement. Even Roger Carter (Bluecoats Perc Cap Head) said that Vanguard deserve the title.

Bluecoats was the same as above except Vanguard was cleaner.

Blue Devils imho had issues with staging, I think that affected their score. Also there were some execution issues with them having the higher degree of difficulty with their book. Front Ensemble was consistent.

Crown - Executed well, their arrangement just was not as challenging as the aforementioned drum corps. Staging was great though. Front Ensemble may be their weakness.

Cadets - Monster talent with the battery, I just think they were inconsistent with their execution as the season went on, probably due to the amount of changes to the show. Design was an issue in IMO. I think we all know that.

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 3

Crown should be ecstatic over their placement this year. They were great!