Cadets 2017

Legit question--do people think Cadets still attract top talent/experience? A decade of inconsistent and sometimes embarassing show designs and declining competitive success must be taking a toll. Sure, they won in 2011--but that was 5 years ago. When I marched in 2004 the 2000 shows seemed like forever ago (because I was 18)

Hmmm. SCV hasn't medaled in how long let alone won but still get talent. I think caption heads still pull kids and the style of a corps attracts kids. Agreed Cadets are not as consistent but if you ignore last year which was a design train wreck, they still remain a top 4 group which is pretty impressive.

Ghee..how many corps would love to suck that bad.

I hear ya... with the local-circuit junior corps where I marched, there were times when we would place fifth at a four-corps show!!! LOL

Legit question--do people think Cadets still attract top talent/experience? A decade of inconsistent and sometimes embarassing show designs and declining competitive success must be taking a toll. Sure, they won in 2011--but that was 5 years ago. When I marched in 2004 the 2000 shows seemed like forever ago (because I was 18)

And since then they won a Sanford (2013) and an Ott (2015.)

No matter how good the designer/arranger, caption head or tech, those awards require excellent native talent to attain such excellence (even if there is some politics and subjective judging.)

And since then they won a Sanford (2013) and an Ott (2015.)

No matter how good the designer/arranger, caption head or tech, those awards require excellent native talent to attain such excellence (even if there is some politics and subjective judging.)

There are still a lot of band kids who grew up idolizing Cadets. Does the experience match their expectations? For some, clearly, yes. For others, no, but that's true everywhere.

This is a tough gig. Expectations are so high at almost every WC corps.

• Like 1

here is 97 in standstill at end of July - nice recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjZ9yp53o8

There have been some stand-still performances I've been more impressed than the show...that year I LOVED both of them...

Short answer to your question IMHO is that they still attract "some top talent" particularly in the drum line. As far as guard, I would say they don't anymore. Brass I think they took the talent they got and have maximized it over the past 5-10 years.

Frankly, it has taken longer for them to diminish in talent/quality than I thought it would. When Carolina Crown rose to fame, esp with their 09 show "Grass is Greener" I foresaw many kids going there that would have gone to Cadets in earlier years. Then after Bluecoats "Tilt" show this was magnified further as Crown and Bloo pumped out crowd pleasing "trendy" shows and were seen as "cool" by high school kids, while Cadets fielded high quality but emotionally removed, dare I say "boring" shows, see 2013, 2014, 2015 that were not memorable to the age trying out.

With this past year's design mess, and the staff exodus to Boston, they are at a tipping point. We will see if they emerge as a phoenix from the ashes, or if they go into a Cavaliers type funk for several years. I, of course, hope for the phoenix version, but I honestly have my doubts.

I just don't see kids lining up to try out for Cadets. I think they will get a bunch of C2 folks moving over into Cadets, but is that going to produce a Chamionship level Corps? probably not.

Want to be positive, but it is really hard.

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 2

Cadets will have a more vet corps in 2017 than 16. Retention looks strong so far

That is encouraging George. 2017 will definitely be an interesting year in DCI.

• Like 1

Short answer to your question IMHO is that they still attract "some top talent" particularly in the drum line. As far as guard, I would say they don't anymore. Brass I think they took the talent they got and have maximized it over the past 5-10 years.

Frankly, it has taken longer for them to diminish in talent/quality than I thought it would. When Carolina Crown rose to fame, esp with their 09 show "Grass is Greener" I foresaw many kids going there that would have gone to Cadets in earlier years. Then after Bluecoats "Tilt" show this was magnified further as Crown and Bloo pumped out crowd pleasing "trendy" shows and were seen as "cool" by high school kids, while Cadets fielded high quality but emotionally removed, dare I say "boring" shows, see 2013, 2014, 2015 that were not memorable to the age trying out.

With this past year's design mess, and the staff exodus to Boston, they are at a tipping point. We will see if they emerge as a phoenix from the ashes, or if they go into a Cavaliers type funk for several years. I, of course, hope for the phoenix version, but I honestly have my doubts.

I just don't see kids lining up to try out for Cadets. I think they will get a bunch of C2 folks moving over into Cadets, but is that going to produce a Chamionship level Corps? probably not.

Want to be positive, but it is really hard.

New blood should help invigorate the style but respect the tradition. After last season, I suspect this winter the design team will be really digging in to get it right.