Cadets 2017

I must be the only Cadets fan that wasn't disappointed last year. The corps got a lot better the last 3 weeks and I enjoyed the show a lot more than any other than 2013 since 2011 (and 2013 I didn't like the closer)

I personally thought the season was a step forward, laying some good ground work for 2017

Oh, I enjoyed the show, a lot. The music especially was wonderful.

• Like 1

I must be the only Cadets fan that wasn't disappointed last year. The corps got a lot better the last 3 weeks and I enjoyed the show a lot more than any other than 2013 since 2011 (and 2013 I didn't like the closer)

I personally thought the season was a step forward, laying some good ground work for 2017

Sorry George, but while I was excited for the idea of the show in the beginning of the season, and while I did give them the benefit of the doubt during the season because of the staff changes, the end of the season was not what I like to see from them, in addition to the fact that every show above them was more entertaining. It absolutely sucked being live at finals and seeing Cadets not as competitive or as entertaining as they normally were. I am hoping 2017 brings us something to get excited about, but as I've stated before, I am to the point where I am annoyed at getting my hopes up only to be disappointed time and time again. Even when they weren't winning during the 90s, their shows were still entertaining (to me) and drove the crowd wild. Today it seems like it is more misses than hits. I hate to sound like FTNK, but there are only so much more disappointing shows I can take. So my best option at this point is to expect the worst and hope for the best.

• Like 2

Sorry George, but while I was excited for the idea of the show in the beginning of the season, and while I did give them the benefit of the doubt during the season because of the staff changes, the end of the season was not what I like to see from them, in addition to the fact that every show above them was more entertaining. It absolutely sucked being live at finals and seeing Cadets not as competitive or as entertaining as they normally were. I am hoping 2017 brings us something to get excited about, but as I've stated before, I am to the point where I am annoyed at getting my hopes up only to be disappointed time and time again. Even when they weren't winning during the 90s, their shows were still entertaining (to me) and drove the crowd wild. Today it seems like it is more misses than hits. I hate to sound like FTNK, but there are only so much more disappointing shows I can take. So my best option at this point is to expect the worst and hope for the best.

I'm in the same boat. Tired of thinking they will come out with something really awesome just to see other corps come out with innovative and entertaining shows. I will always like the Cadets but I am starting to think of them as a corps that will be good but just not in contention to be at the top. Hope I'm wrong but recent history is indicating something different.

I've been a fan of Drum Corps since I saw the Bridgemen on PBS in 1976.

I've been following this thread ,but I haven't read every post,so I don't know if this has been brought up here or somewhere else.

I never marched,so I don't know if the "attitude" of the staff ,as shown on the on the first 2 episodes of Clash of the Corps, is typical of all top corps.

It seemed to me,based on the first 2 episodes ,that the way they depict George and other members of the staff,especially the Visual Caption Head,that the show could hurt recruiting.

I spoke to a few of my friends who marched,or whose kids marched.They all thought the same thing.

Edited by rpbobcat

yeah - not really a "fact" - I personally enjoyed Cadets show more than 2 of the shows above them; and I certainly enjoyed it more than Cadets 14/15

show had some emotion, particularly the guard, that the shows for several years have lacked IMO and at least it was something different

frankly - a lot of this is personal taste so it is what it is

I'm sure we're all hoping for the same thing, a great show out of Cadets 2017; I think 16 was more of a foundation for 17 than is obvious right now. Of course, time will tell

Sometimes change is like a band aid - you got to just rip it off at some point, and it might hurt a little bit. For me - that was 2016 and this and last off season

yeah - not really a "fact" - I personally enjoyed Cadets show more than 2 of the shows above them; and I certainly enjoyed it more than Cadets 14/15

show had some emotion, particularly the guard, that the shows for several years have lacked IMO and at least it was something different

frankly - a lot of this is personal taste so it is what it is

I'm sure we're all hoping for the same thing, a great show out of Cadets 2017; I think 16 was more of a foundation for 17 than is obvious right now. Of course, time will tell

Sometimes change is like a band aid - you got to just rip it off at some point, and it might hurt a little bit. For me - that was 2016 and this and last off season

Well auditions will give us lots of info. Either it's business as usual for Cadets or they'll struggle with recruitment if the community feels they've lost their way.

Well auditions will give us lots of info. Either it's business as usual for Cadets or they'll struggle with recruitment if the community feels they've lost their way.

Audition reports from every corps are always wonderful -- just like retention seems higher than normal and returning members are excited to return and applications are through the roof. Camp reports can be interesting but camps are mostly attended by parents and loyal supporters. Maybe DCP needs to have it's own set of reporters visiting camps and making reports!

• Like 1

Audition reports from every corps are always wonderful -- just like retention seems higher than normal and returning members are excited to return and applications are through the roof. Camp reports can be interesting but camps are mostly attended by parents and loyal supporters. Maybe DCP needs to have it's own set of reporters visiting camps and making reports!

Correct. Ultimately, you need 150 motivated talented members to join. There are so many talented kids and only a handful of top WC corps so I don't think Cadets will have a problem.

Correct. Ultimately, you need 150 motivated talented members to join. There are so many talented kids and only a handful of top WC corps so I don't think Cadets will have a problem.

No they won't. The only WC corps close enough to have a big impact locally is Surf and they don't compete for the same performers. Cadet will be fine talent-wise.

No they won't. The only WC corps close enough to have a big impact locally is Surf and they don't compete for the same performers. Cadet will be fine talent-wise.

Thanks. Hopefully we can see the improvement talent wise from the staff. I'm comfortable with percussion and guard but still taking a wait and see with respect to brass, drill and show design. Edited by Tobias