Cadets 2017

While I don't mind a little more discretion with regard to public announcements, I do hope the members will get some information at camp.

Well I'm almost absolutely sure that will happen. I just kinda want GH to keep his mouth shut about what the show will be about. Let the show generate hype, not the words.

And that probably had nothing to do with their shows and final placements.

no not linear result but a consequence of diverted energies other corps used toward better performances and design.

Now time to bury the dead on Poor Souls Day and to move toward the 2017 season, the corps' 83rd.

Edited by xandandl

Well I'm almost absolutely sure that will happen. I just kinda want GH to keep his mouth shut about what the show will be about. Let the show generate hype, not the words.

Agree 100%. Hype builds more with less info not more. Hype builds excitement. If I'm a judge watching 100 vid clips from Cadets off season, I'm already "familiar" with the sound before I even see them. The honeymoon is already over!

With short seasons, you need to create "interest" in a show from day one of the season. The premise of coming out weak and ending strong maybe worked in the tic era when a dream team staff could clean the crap out of a show, but today it's about effect and too much off-season info deflates that. Judges are human too and want to be wowed and entertained. Early season momentum baby. (And ofcourse a design that carries you to finals).

Edited by Tobias

Agree 100%. Hype builds more with less info not more. Hype builds excitement. If I'm a judge watching 100 vid clips from Cadets off season, I'm already "familiar" with the sound before I even see them. The honeymoon is already over!

With short seasons, you need to create "interest" in a show from day one of the season. The premise of coming out weak and ending strong maybe worked in the tic era when a dream team staff could clean the crap out of a show, but today it's about effect and too much off-season info deflates that. Judges are human too and want to be wowed and entertained. Early season momentum baby. (And ofcourse a design that carries you to finals).

This all ado about nothing. There is ZERO evidence that either keeping a show under wraps, or putting out as much information and videos as possible, has any bearing on how a corps places during the season. There just isn't.

• Like 2

This all ado about nothing. There is ZERO evidence that either keeping a show under wraps, or putting out as much information and videos as possible, has any bearing on how a corps places during the season. There just isn't.

I think familiarity breeds boredom. Interesting that the top three corps of last year were the last to announce shows, very few vid clips of show in off season etc. Also keeping things under wrap until obvious flaws in design are worked out certainly isn't a bad strategy.

I would tend to agree with that.

What really matters is show design and performance, bottom line. Pretty much has been that way since Day One in drum corps.

Of course, nonstop hype/seemingly nonstop outright changes or minor modifications to show ideas/rampant speculation/musings/hints about why things are being done the way they are being done, etc., does keep some folks here on DCP busy during the offseason months. All that stuff, plus a few dollars, will get you a subway ride. :tongue:

Cadets 2016 performed well, but the show design... they've had better years. LOL

I think familiarity breeds boredom. Interesting that the top three corps of last year were the last to announce shows, very few vid clips of show in off season etc. Also keeping things under wrap until obvious flaws in design are worked out certainly isn't a bad strategy.

I would tend to agree with that.

What really matters is show design and performance, bottom line. Pretty much has been that way since Day One in drum corps.

Of course, nonstop hype/seemingly nonstop outright changes or minor modifications to show ideas/rampant speculation/musings/hints about why things are being done the way they are being done, etc., does keep some folks here on DCP busy during the offseason months. All that stuff, plus a few dollars, will get you a subway ride. :tongue:

Cadets 2016 performed well, but the show design... they've had better years. LOL

My post had absolutely nothing to do with the placement of the corps. I was speaking more about the opinion that there is just way too much information being put out in the offseason about what their show plans are. Sometimes it is better to keep the cake in the bakery until my birthday actually arrives.

On another note, someone has a mind like mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlCAib0mvj0&index=48&list=PLioqbXBV3YXHyxoz0JA1dRAjg7aljbvzT

• Like 1