Cadets 2017

27 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I get excited, but I dont think he is the best.

Ok, no problem. Who do you like as your favorite Brass Arranger ?

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Personally, I don't understand the "acrimony" between Cadets and Crown fans. I've always liked them both. What they both have been able to do over their history is fascinating to me. I have always held Crown as my second "Cadets" because I normally love their shows just as much as I love Cadets (probably moreso in specific years). That hornline sold me at minute one and held onto me as a fan forever (well, at least until their hornline starts to suck, which I hope NEVER happens). If I were 17 years old in this era, It would be a tough choice to decide to march between the two (although, the nod is closer to Crown given their relative success over Cadets over the past few years).

I agree with you.  I'm a big Cadets fan but I've certainly seen a lot of the acrimony by the Cadets borg.  Crown represented everything the Cadets  fan hated  -- moving strongly away from the military aspects of drum corps and  embracing dance in their movement program.  From the average Crown fans POV,  Cadets were simply a corps "in the way".   They were a perennial medal contender that needed to be displaced.  The fact that they were an East Coast corps meant that all those "automatic" early season wins for Cadets were suddenly being contested by the young upstart.

IMO Crown has always considered one corps their "rival" : BD.   (which probably just tic'd off Cadets fans even more).   It's never fun to be put in the "rear view mirror").  And even that "rivalry" was much more with fans than the corps. Crown internally has always been about going where other corps won't and can't go.  

Anyway here on DCP, most fans get along.  There are a few posters who like to constantly point out any connection between the two corps just to "little brother" them.  I don't think it's true (and certainly you never heard such comments before Crown started winning head-to-heads).  If Crown has any sort of inherited "DNA", it's from Star and brass program (with DVD being such a strong influence).  Certainly Star alums seem to have adopted Crown into their family.

As for what sold me -- I was sold on the hornline's movement program while continuing to play incredibly well. Crown embraced it like no one else.  Funny to see other corps now "prancing around and rolling on the ground".  Imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery.

47 minutes ago, corpsband said:

I agree with you.  I'm a big Cadets fan but I've certainly seen a lot of the acrimony by the Cadets borg.  Crown represented everything the Cadets  fan hated  -- moving strongly away from the military aspects of drum corps and  embracing dance in their movement program.  From the average Crown fans POV,  Cadets were simply a corps "in the way".   They were a perennial medal contender that needed to be displaced.  The fact that they were an East Coast corps meant that all those "automatic" early season wins for Cadets were suddenly being contested by the young upstart.

IMO Crown has always considered one corps their "rival" : BD.   (which probably just tic'd off Cadets fans even more).   It's never fun to be put in the "rear view mirror").  And even that "rivalry" was much more with fans than the corps. Crown internally has always been about going where other corps won't and can't go.  

Anyway here on DCP, most fans get along.  There are a few posters who like to constantly point out any connection between the two corps just to "little brother" them.  I don't think it's true (and certainly you never heard such comments before Crown started winning head-to-heads).  If Crown has any sort of inherited "DNA", it's from Star and brass program (with DVD being such a strong influence).  Certainly Star alums seem to have adopted Crown into their family.

As for what sold me -- I was sold on the hornline's movement program while continuing to play incredibly well. Crown embraced it like no one else.  Funny to see other corps now "prancing around and rolling on the ground".  Imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery.

As was I. SOOOOO many examples of Crown's hornline impressing me to no end. 2007 was the year that they gained my attention. The year with the space show (even though many people seemed to not think it was great) was one of my favorite especially in terms of the hornline. Last year was fantastic in my opinion, especially that first horn hit with the triple tonguing; something I've always wanted from Cadets.

While I would love the Cadets from the 90s to be in this era, I've accepted the fact that it is no longer feasible for that to take place. I do hope however that this year's show from Cadets will swing the pendulum of my heart 100% back into their camp.

9 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

He is an EXCELLENT writer.

He really has a way of transitioning chords from classical to jazz and its great.  He is the only composer next to John Williams imo who can almost write the emotion into the music.  The entire BD staff is stacked and are some of the best at their craft.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Wayne Downey, Im a HUGE BD fan.

Good choice. Personally, I much preferred the brass arranging from WD from earlier decades over most recent editions from him. However, I recognize that WD has had to modify his brass arrangements to accommodate the more visual designs of shows of today too.  He's bridged that remarkably well. and he's been aided by an influx of outstanding brass player talent to Concord, Calif. each season too that can handle his challenging arrangements that he writes these days now for BD.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

Personally, for this Cadet alum Crown has been my overall favorite corps of the 2000's up to now, as Phantom was the 1990's, Cadets the 80's, 27th Lancers the 70's and Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights the 60's.. Some years over others, of course. Cadets have had some of my very favorite shows in specific years as well, such as 1997 (on my all-time favorite list of any year going back to 1963), 2000, 2005, 2007 and 2011. Other corps have snuck in as well...such as 2012 BK "Avian", last year's Bloo and 2015 BD. So for me there is lots of room to like a wide variety of corps.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

He really has a way of transitioning chords from classical to jazz and its great.  He is the only composer next to John Williams imo who can almost write the emotion into the music.  The entire BD staff is stacked and are some of the best at their craft.

Okay..... hold on..... I'm not going to try and start a fight here but if the only two composers you can think of that write the emotion into music then you need to get around to more listening. I'm pretty sure most composer's intent is to write emotion into music. While they are both quality writers I think this is a weird comparison as the only two composers that compose emotion into music. I would suggest a little more Mahler, Copland, Shostakovich, who was being opressed and silenced by his government, maybe the Tchaikovsky symphonies 4-6 in your diet just to start. I would even say that both John Williams and Wayne while a fine composer and arranger respectively actually rely more heavily on compositional techniques to invoke effect than actual raw emotion. Again not picking a fight, I just am sad that you don't have a broader scope of emotional compositions than Wayne Downey and John Williams and hopefully this will turn you onto some other avenues because you're really missing out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

Wayne Downey, Im a HUGE BD fan.

Wayne is a great writer, but he has not been the sole writer since the early 2000's. John Meehan arranges a great of the shows over the last decade or so, and much of the brass book is written/arranged by Dave Glyde with orchestration by WD or Meehan.

Basically since 2004 it's been a team effort, with WD "creating" the least amount of each program.

• Like 4