Cadets 2017

10 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

What's wrong to you is right to someone else. Some of those alum specifically chose to march Cadets because of that uniform, among other things. They were young as well and certain things have a special meaning to people of that age. In my opinion, that is neither wrong nor right. It is a matter of personal taste. 

But to then react in a manner like this when the uniform changes? To akin it to "the death of the Cadets" (an actual quote from an alumnus) and to go on as if none of the traditions or accomplishments of the corps matter anymore because of a uniform update? It's an almost hilariously disproportionate response, especially when you consider that by no means do the Cadets NEED to rely on the store brand uniform style as their identity with such a fabled history. I challenge anybody here to find a field uniform whose last overhaul was 83 years ago.

Edited by aLittleBird
  • Like 1

Well, all we can do at this point is wait and see what they do this upcoming season. I have noticed the radio silence in regards to show announcements - I recall that it has been this way before, but in the past couple of years, more and more has been leaked from certain organizations. Though the tides are turning in regards to personnel, I rather appreciate the wait for a show release from the cadets, or other organizations for that matter, as much the drum corps fan in me wants to hear recordings and show announcements. I noticed that the Stars took their video down of their brassline. Are the Cadets having some thoughts about licensing with particular music? Perhaps a filmscore or something?

17 minutes ago, aLittleBird said:

But to then react in a manner like this when the uniform changes? To akin it to "the death of the Cadets" (an actual quote from an alumnus) and to go on as if none of the traditions or accomplishments of the corps matter anymore because of a uniform update? It's an almost hilariously disproportionate response, especially when you consider that by no means do the Cadets NEED to rely on the store brand uniform style as their identity with such a fabled history. I challenge anybody here to find a field uniform whose last overhaul was 83 years ago.

That's just the point. Some people march there because it has lasted so long. It stood the test of time. It continued on when the corps was in danger of folding. That is one reason why it means so much to those who have marched there. A lot of the overreactions are completely uncalled for, but when you know the history behind the corps, the uniform has much more of a special meaning to many of those alum. It may be hilarious, but that's how they feel about it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, corpsband said:

there's nothing more hopkins would like more than to have 1000 kids at an audition/experience camp.  

he wants big turn outs.  just doesn't quite know how to make it happen.

if you know the secret you should definitely let him know.  

be more Bando? lol

tie into the Texas and/or IN marching band crowd?

there's a lot of ways to draw a 1000 - Cadets and/or BD will never be that corps. Both attract limited, but talented & hard-working and/or experienced canidates

Half the kids "cut themselves" before ever hitting a camp for Cadets and/or BD -- and THAT'S what really grinds Hopkins

and as you well know, those 1000 attendee multi-site "experience camps" are as much about raising funds (and delivering a good experience to the camp attendees hopefully!) as they are filling the ranks - a large percent of the membership are brought along from the staff (especially in guard and percussion where it may approach 90-100%)

6 hours ago, aLittleBird said:

What, in your opinion, makes the Cadets the Cadets?

Surely it's not so simple as a maroon top with white pants in the style of one of the most copied uniforms in history? The point I'm trying to make is that an organization shouldn't define itself with a particular jacket, even a particular color. I don't think the color combination of maroon, cream, and gold are what makes the organization worth the countless thousands of dollars in donations every year. When someone asks you "what are the Cadets?" Do you proudly reply "They're the ones in the burgandy!" or do you tell people what actually makes the corps special? That's what I'm getting at. This fixation on the uniform is unhealthy for the organization. It's a very pretty uniform that is very rapidly showing its age compared against others in the caliber it competes in. There's nothing wrong with that, It's almost a century old.

hard work in the pursuit of excellence, legacy/history, always running short on cash compared to the other top corps but still GETTING IT DONE, fantastic weight-loss program??

I'm fine with them changing the uniform - but you seem to imply (in your earlier post) that Boston's uniform was held in the same high regard as the Cadets M&G - and I'm sorry but I don't think that's the case at all; particularly outside the two organizations. I do think the Cadets classic uniform should be maintained as a second set of uniforms for parades, standstills and retreats at finals. But I've thought for a long time (long before Coats Patridge Family outfits) that Cadets should use a show-specific costume for the field show

Here's the thing - a corps can "buy" top staff by out-paying and out-promising the Cadets. It's been done before and it will be done again.

Edited by George Dixon
clarity

10 hours ago, aLittleBird said:

I watch lots of WGI clips and the things they're doing visually are amazing. I think the CADETS are correct in reinventing themselves and moving forward. I'll say it again, if they couldn't WIN in 2015 with a vet heavy magnificent brass, percussion corps, then it's time to realize the design approach has run its course and time to look forward and morph into a modernized version of yourself understanding your history and traditions but not being chained down by them. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BrassFan17 said:

I have no idea what is happening with the Cadets engine right now (apart from the change in staff) and have virtually dropped off the radar for the 2016 season, but as an alum I would love to see the traditional look come back. Before the flames arise, I am a fairly recent alum, but one of the last to wear a traditional looking Cadets uniform. As stated by another person who posted here, there is something behind wearing the uniform that those many, many years before you wore. In a chaotic transitional time, my personal view is that the members need right now is some sense of familiarity. I hope that the new incoming staff and design team can respect the traditions of the past whilst still being innovative, this is a difficult balance and a fine line to walk. 

The Cadets cadet styled uniform was no deterent  to their rise from non DCI Finalist positions to medaling, and winning DCI titles at several junctures in their DCI history. At each juncture, it would have been easy to chuck the traditional uniform, as LOTS of much higher placing Corps than the Cadets throughout several of the DCI eras were going " progressive " in their attire at different stages back then too. So this notion we often here that... " well, in order to be relevant to" the kids" of the time, and to " remain competitive ", the Cadets have to wear NON " Cadets " styled uniforms is certainly not a sentiment that I share. And the Cadets long and successful competitive history bears this out too. We also view this in the context that the Cadets current and future potential marchers have never been asked their opinions in an indepth manner on doing away with or retaining their 80 + years Cadets styled uniform. So this idea that most band kids of today won't march the Cadets in their classically beautiful, iconic, Cadet styled uniform is a real stretch, imo... with no evidence whatsoever to back up such sometimes heard observations. That said,  all Corps, the Cadets included, are certainly entitled to do as these adults choose, and to live with whatever good or bad consequences result from these adult made decisions.

Edited by BRASSO

If anyone can offer a real world solution to overcome the corps proper uniform's weakness in the choreographic and thematic requirements needed to score well in the visual and GE captions I would love to read it. Now, if alumni are happy with the corps being consistently in the lower tiers of the top twelve to keep the uniform then I can accept it; however, we are deluded to think it can currently compete with the push from other staffs. Maybe the trend will cycle back to the traditional, but I doubt it.

One of the tenets that formed DCI was creative freedom and innovation, and like it or not, innovation has defined the modern Cadets. In matter of fact, innovation has become one of the Cadets' hallmark traditions as much as its uniform. Can anyone honestly say recent iterations of our beloved corps have embraced innovation?

• Like 3

The great thing about The Cadets is that when they really innovate, in many ways, they redefine what "real drum corps" is activity-wide for half a decade and more. 

If going with a new uniform is identity-shattering to any degree, then the identity was pretty weak to begin with. Exactly no rational adult would say that about a corps like The Cadets.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1