Cadets 2017

14 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Try again.

It is a hold-over from the army corps. The Drum and Bugle corps all wear sashes on the left, whereas the rest of the army wears it on the right. Since the color guard commander isn't technically part of the drum and bugle corps, but rather part of the color guard, She wears it the way the rest of the army would have worn it, on the right.

Edited by Foef_Yet_Flalf

1999 rehearsal - everyone's favorite Cadets show :)

stay tuned until the end - Cadillac of the Skies in standstill encore performance

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

1999 rehearsal - everyone's favorite Cadets show :)

stay tuned until the end - Cadillac of the Skies in standstill encore performance

Man that playing of Cadillac of the Skies has me feeling so many feels that it's got me about to puke. That is some special writing and playing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

It is a hold-over from the army corps. The Drum and Bugle corps all wear sashes on the left, whereas the rest of the army wears it on the right. Since the color guard commander isn't technically part of the drum and bugle corps, but rather part of the color guard, She wears it the way the rest of the army would have worn it, on the right.

not the one I was thinking of

15 hours ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

I don't really know whether there is a distinction in sash placement between the drum and bugle corps and the rest of the army. I just kind of made it up.

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Ok... we give up.. whats the reason ?

50 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Ok... we give up.. whats the reason ?

Prior to WGI's early years when they dropped  the required military style  Manual of Arms/Flag Posting and Color Pre for indoor color guard contests, it was customary for all guard members who utilized sabers to wear a scabbard whenever in uniform no matter winter or summer season. Back in those days, simultaneously getting the sabers in and out of the scabbards was almost impossible and was considered a ecstasy moment for guardsters when it happened. Corps who wore drop sashes off the cummerbund made sure that their guard members on saber had the drop sash on the right leg so that the drop sash would never interfere with the scabbard; the scabbard  was worn on the left since most folk were right handed and could easily reach across the body to extract the saber. Cadets' uniform was identical but for colors with West Point; as West Point did, so did Cadets. Obsessive compulsives would go crazy seeing some in the same corps wearing drop sashes on different sides. With the elimination of the scabbard, all drop sashes were worn on the left side.

How does this relate now, 2017? Note the horn sgts;. (asst. DMs') shoulder patches. Even those who clamor for the "traditional uniform" have to admit that what that was was different depending upon the era and the useage.   In short, there have been changes even BITD.  What changes GH announces this weekend to donors will have to be taken in that context.

Please pay your course tuition at the door as you exit and collect your three history credits.:sigh:

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1