Cadets 2017

I want to say something about the theology of that Avon show, but it would offend DCP's delicate sensibilities. So, I guess I shall show a little restraint for a change.

10 hours ago, cadet93 said:

I was really hoping they would do "God Said", but Hopkins indicated they won't.  I loved Avon's take on it to win their first BOA Grand Nationals in 2008.  With the "saying flags".

I can't agree with you there - I feel that part of the music is grossly at odds with the better parts of the work stylistically, and in an 11 minute show would take the listener out of the moment like an ill-conceived comedy routine.

But to each his own!

40 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I can't agree with you there - I feel that part of the music is grossly at odds with the better parts of the work stylistically, and in an 11 minute show would take the listener out of the moment like an ill-conceived comedy routine.

But to each his own!

Given the long period between the Avon production and 2017 that the copyright holders withheld permissions to the marching arts to play Bernstein's music, will Dr. Jay Webb, former band director at Avon, be judging Cadets again this summer in DCI? He's a great judge and fine man, but it certainly has an awkwardness to it as the Cadets seek to maintain that positive relationship with the composer's legacy now and for the future and for the marching arts..

24 minutes ago, FTNK said:

It's all up to the arrangements and design now... I hope they keep the complexity and don't "drum corps" it up too much. Cautiously optimistic

I was kinda looking forward to destroying what I thought would be another of your negative comments (j/k), but I completely agree with you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Given the long period between the Avon production and 2017 that the copyright holders withheld permissions to the marching arts to play Bernstein's music, will Dr. Jay Webb, former band director at Avon, be judging Cadets again this summer in DCI? He's a great judge and fine man, but it certainly has an awkwardness to it as the Cadets seek to maintain that positive relationship with the composer's legacy now and for the future and for the marching arts..

He isn't "former"  quite yet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

Avon did material from Mass in 2008, right?  I'm positive permission was granted to programs after that.  When exactly was this copyright blackout?   

Edited by corpsband

8 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Avon did material from Mass in 2008, right?  I'm positive permission was granted to programs after that.  When exactly was this copyright blackout?   

I understood that no further permissions for marching bands and drum corps were given after 2008; the nephew who held the estate was supposedly not pleased 

Cadets in 2009 had permission because of their previous use and permission which were well received. I can't speak of further specifics. Ask Hop to explain it all. He gives a short synopsis on the '17 show announcement.

11 minutes ago, corpsband said:

The Bernstein Estate made the official change in September of 2010.