Cadets 2017

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

I understood that no further permissions for marching bands and drum corps were given after 2008; the nephew who held the estate was supposedly not pleased 

Cadets in 2009 had permission because of their previous use and permission which were well received. I can't speak of further specifics. Ask Hop to explain it all. He gives a short synopsis on the '17 show announcement.

1 minute ago, tesmusic said:

The Bernstein Estate made the official change in September of 2010.

I know there were programs licensed in 2010.   But September would be AFTER the MB season started so  that date makes more sense to me.

3 minutes ago, corpsband said:

I know there were programs licensed in 2010.   But September would be AFTER the MB season started so  that date makes more sense to me.

It's also never been impossible to get permission, but the hoops groups have to jump through deterred many I believe.

http://www.musicforall.org/resources/copyright/leonard-bernstein

4 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

It's also never been impossible to get permission, but the hoops groups have to jump through deterred many I believe.

good post. I knew I had seen it somewhere but couldn't quite remember where other than an article a few years back in the NY Times or some such. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

the "hoops" are really not that burdensome.  it's mostly a matter of getting arrangements done really early in your design process.  they actually do look at your scores -- it's not just a pro-forma "mail it in and you get permission".   

I suppose if your arrangements are not respectful of the original  -- it could be difficult.

Just now, xandandl said:

good post. I knew I had seen it somewhere but couldn't quite remember where other than an article a few years back in the NY Times or some such. Thanks.

No worries

Just now, corpsband said:

the "hoops" are really not that burdensome.  it's mostly a matter of getting arrangements done really early in your design process.  they actually do look at your scores -- it's not just a pro-forma "mail it in and you get permission".   

I suppose if your arrangements are not respectful of the original  -- it could be difficult.

I agree-but I could seem some groups not wanting to go through the process.

To be honest, I have issue with what they request, especially with keeping the integrity of the music.

17 hours ago, xandandl said:

reread again. John 13:27 has him leaving early.  You are correct that the Eucharist has its origin in the Last Supper. To consider the DCP ground rules, further discussion of this should send me a pm.

I think I found the Euchreist.

epc_Small.jpgimage0031-300x200.jpg

2 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I agree-but I could seem some groups not wanting to go through the process.

To be honest, I have issue with what they request, especially with keeping the integrity of the music.

I'm sure it filters out a lot of nonsense.  Maybe more composers should do that!  

• Like 1

Just now, corpsband said:

I'm sure it filters out a lot of nonsense.  Maybe more composers should do that!  

Exactly! Having judged countless shows over the last 15 years or so, I wish more would be done for musical accountable to insure quality writing.

• Like 1

Just now, tesmusic said:

Exactly! Having judged countless shows over the last 15 years or so, I wish more would be done for musical accountable to insure quality writing.

I can see issues with a hard and fast interpretation of what "respectful" means.  When someone does a masterful job of weaving two pieces together,  looking at the arrangement from just one composer's POV might be a problem.   Some of my favorite arrangements over the years involve a "re-imagining" which may go in a direction the original creator never considered.