Cadets 2017

3 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Exactly! Having judged countless shows over the last 15 years or so, I wish more would be done for musical accountable to insure quality writing.

What I find unfortunate is when I hear music arranged by some of the current legends that sounds like (relative) crap because they have to conform to the arranging requirements.  -ie layering, chop and bop, et cetera.  I'm glad that the Bernstein estate doesn't like that to be done to his work.

• Like 3

Given all the hurdles Cadets have gone through with the Estate for this 2017 show, I almost hope they stick with Bernstein for 2018 and do a whole show of On the Waterfront.   Dress all those guard members as longshoremen - heck the entire corps.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Exactly! Having judged countless shows over the last 15 years or so, I wish more would be done for musical accountable to insure quality writing.

So the guts of all this as applied to Cadets '17 is that Dr. Drew Shanefield will be under pressure to present arrangements that don't "drum corps ize" the original while the rest of the design team is under pressure to give us something fresh, different, and more than a symphony hall semi-circle experience. The Cadets had played a variety of venues and audiences previously including the awesome Tanglewood experience last summer with Regiment, Bluecoats and BAC and the Boston Pops Brass. I wonder how this year's MMs feel about being under the microscope of NY Philharmonic, Estate holders, and alums plus the usual judges, audiences and DCP?
And of course, the kids pay money for this pleasure/pressure.:blink:

2 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Given all the hurdles Cadets have gone through with the Estate for this 2017 show, I almost hope they stick with Bernstein for 2018 and do a whole show of On the Waterfront.   Dress all those guard members as longshoremen.

oh it sounds like you are just waiting for that fisticuffs on the dock scene with the guardsters going at it. No wonder Guardling wants the make-up artists. it will make the Caps vs. the Pens look like pillow fights.

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

So the guts of all this as applied to Cadets '17 is that Dr. Drew Shanefield will be under pressure to present arrangements that don't "drum corps ize" the original while the rest of the design team is under pressure to give us something fresh, different, and more than a symphony hall semi-circle experience...

...I wonder how this year's MMs feel about being under the microscope of NY Philharmonic, Estate holders, and alums plus the usual judges, audiences and DCP?

If I had to guess, they're probably hyped, honored, and this will give them motivation to max out the show.

...to put the "ye old fart" hat on, the Cadets did pretty well with their decently faithful interpretation of "Appalachian Spring" back in '87.

I know it's a lifetime later and times have changed, but I have faith that the Cadets can pull this particular content off well.

Edited by jjeffeory

8 minutes ago, xandandl said:

So the guts of all this as applied to Cadets '17 is that Dr. Drew Shanefield will be under pressure to present arrangements that don't "drum corps ize" the original while the rest of the design team is under pressure to give us something fresh, different, and more than a symphony hall semi-circle experience. The Cadets had played a variety of venues and audiences previously including the awesome Tanglewood experience last summer with Regiment, Bluecoats and BAC and the Boston Pops Brass. I wonder how this year's MMs feel about being under the microscope of NY Philharmonic, Estate holders, and alums plus the usual judges, audiences and DCP?

IMO it's not on the MM's minds at all.  they just march, play and spin what they're given.  

In fact there's no more pressure on the designers (from the licensor at least).  They've complied with the requirements and have a free hand in creating their vision of the production.   

The big "pressure" for the Cadets is to "bounce back".   Would not be a good thing to continue a slide down the rankings.    

Edited by corpsband

8 minutes ago, corpsband said:

IMO it's not on the MM's minds at all.  they just march, play and spin what they're given.  

In fact there's no more pressure on the designers (from the licensor at least).  They've complied with the requirements and have a free hand in creating their vision of the production.  

I think you are well outside the Cadet family, Cadets alumni boards discussion, and camp discussions on this one.  Communications I have had from faculty, mms, and alums tell me otherwise. GH did not reveal every detail on his short show announcement vid.  There was a lot said in those five meetings and much anticipation for next year's deal with the Philharmonic and the third year as well. As you said you are giving not facts but your opinion.           

Edited by xandandl

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

Avon did material from Mass in 2008, right?  I'm positive permission was granted to programs after that.  When exactly was this copyright blackout?   

The band I arrange for got permission in 2009 to do Bernstein music.

We did parts of "Chichester Psalms" and "Mass".

8 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I think you are well outside the Cadet family, Cadets alumni boards discussion, and camp discussions on this one.  Communications I have had from faculty, mms, and alums tell me otherwise. GH did not reveal every detail on his short show announcement vid.  There was a lot said in those five meetings and much anticipation for next year's deal with the Philharmonic and the third year as well. As you said you are giving not facts but your opinion.           

Lol okay.  MM's are feeling the pressure to uphold the integrity of LB's legacy.    

(Of course it could just be a mind-game to try to motivate the MM's.  But no -- GH never does that with MM's.  Lol) 

Designers design.  Teachers teach.  And members try to march, play and spin the show they're given.  Honestly if a MM is worrying about letting down the LB Estate while standing at the gate,  someone is not doing their job.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I'm very excited for Cadets 2017. MAYBE it's the lack of transparency this off season so the reveal will be a surprise...MAYBE it's the new uniforms which I heard are very dramatic...MAYBE it's the new eyes designing and giving us a different presentation of Cadets/Bernstein. Just lots to take in for that season debut.

• Like 1