Cadets 2017

28 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I'm very excited for Cadets 2017. MAYBE it's the lack of transparency this off season so the reveal will be a surprise...MAYBE it's the new uniforms which I heard are very dramatic...MAYBE it's the new eyes designing and giving us a different presentation of Cadets/Bernstein. Just lots to take in for that season debut.

Gotta admit, I'm excited as well, but I'm more cautiously optimistic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

Given all the hurdles Cadets have gone through with the Estate for this 2017 show, I almost hope they stick with Bernstein for 2018 and do a whole show of On the Waterfront.   Dress all those guard members as longshoremen - heck the entire corps.

It's a three year deal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

Lol okay.  MM's are feeling the pressure to uphold the integrity of LB's legacy.    

(Of course it could just be a mind-game to try to motivate the MM's.  But no -- GH never does that with MM's.  Lol) 

Designers design.  Teachers teach.  And members try to march, play and spin the show they're given.  Honestly if a MM is worrying about letting down the LB Estate while standing at the gate,  someone is not doing their job.  

Agreed. The members want a fun and well received show to march, something they are proud of and enjoy perfecting and performing. They could probably care less about LB legacy. 

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Agreed. The members want a fun and well received show to march, something they are proud of and enjoy perfecting and performing. They could probably care less about LB legacy. 

Just to expand a bit.

Member buy-in is important.  They need to understand the production well enough to "sell it".

But I think it might be "stretching the truth" to say they are "feeling the pressure" to uphold the LB legacy.

Could I hear GH saying that to them?  Absolutely.  <hop>We are being trusted by the Bernstein Foundation to bring this important work to a new generation in way that would honor Lenny's memory.  So don't let him down!</hop>  

But their biggest pressures will be performing their best show at finals, getting enough sleep,  paying off their dues, and is that guard member really interested in me! 

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

IMO it's not on the MM's minds at all.  they just march, play and spin what they're given.  

In fact there's no more pressure on the designers (from the licensor at least).  They've complied with the requirements and have a free hand in creating their vision of the production.   

The big "pressure" for the Cadets is to "bounce back".   Would not be a good thing to continue a slide down the rankings.    

Corpsband, you know one down year for the Cadets doesn't mean they are out of things.  Heck, '90 -> '91 -> '92 is the last time I can remember the Cadets slipping.

Incidentally, was Dr. Shanefield the trumpet soloist in Short Ride in a Fast Machine in '91?

Cadets are going to make life miserable for a lot of corps this year, including my beloved Cavies and Crown.  I believe that it's going to be the "top 6" again (like it used to be) instead of the top 5 or top 3.

6 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Corpsband, you know one down year for the Cadets doesn't mean they are out of things.  Heck, '90 -> '91 -> '92 is the last time I can remember the Cadets slipping.

Incidentally, was Dr. Shanefield the trumpet soloist in Short Ride in a Fast Machine in '91?

Cadets are going to make life miserable for a lot of corps this year, including my beloved Cavies and Crown.  I believe that it's going to be the "top 6" again (like it used to be) instead of the top 5 or top 3.

Actually that's exactly what I said as well.  One year down means nothing -- just a bad design.    

It's only when you start stacking up "down" years,  things can start to take on a momentum of their own.

As for there being a "top 6", if you mean 6 corps contending for a medal -- I don't believe it..

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Actually that's exactly what I said as well.  One year down means nothing -- just a bad design.    

It's only when you start stacking up "down" years,  things can start to take on a momentum of their own.

Yea, I'm agreeing with you.  A couple of down years is exactly what happened to the Cavaliers, and that's what happened to SCV after '92.  SCV STILL hasn't quite gotten back the magic of '72-'91, BUT now that they have Gaines there, I'm thinking SCV is a lock for top 3.

The Cadets will have one heck of a show this year though, but I also love Crown's staff and knowing what they're playing they will be a ton of fun.

Sorry, I just started hyping the season for no reason...

Go everybody!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I believe that it's going to be the "top 6" again (like it used to be) instead of the top 5 or top 3.

I believe,, and predict.. that the ultimate top 6 finishers for 2017 will NOT be bunched together.  Also, there will be the Blue Devils once again on top in 2017. ( no repeat for ' Coats )

Then everybody else.

Edited by BRASSO

10 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Yea, I'm agreeing with you.  A couple of down years is exactly what happened to the Cavaliers, and that's what happened to SCV after '92.  SCV STILL hasn't quite gotten back the magic of '72-'91, BUT now that they have Gaines there, I'm thinking SCV is a lock for top 3.

The Cadets will have one heck of a show this year though, but I also love Crown's staff and knowing what they're playing they will be a ton of fun.

Sorry, I just started hyping the season for no reason...

Go everybody!

HYPE!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I believe,, and predict.. that the ultimate top 6 finishers for 2017 will NOT be bunched together.  Also, there will be the Blue Devils once again on top in 2017. ( no repeat for ' Coats )

Then everybody else.

Yea, we always have to think about the Blue Devils, and with what they're playing, it should be an interesting show for the Killer Bees...  The opener should be awesome.

I'm still most hyped for SCV though.  I'm thinking that there will be a scoring bunch at the top because everyone will be balanced this year.  The lower 7 or so corps are also having great off seasons too, so I guess it's up to how the judges are instructed to score.