Cadets 2017

I thought Jim Prime Jr. was also arranger in 82, Concerto in F, Rocky Point Holiday, and Cuban Overture.

I started there in '77 so I will put my thinking cap on. Dennis Dewey and Frank Dorritee were there when I arrived.

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I thought Jim Prime Jr. was also arranger in 82, Concerto in F, Rocky Point Holiday, and Cuban Overture.

I started there in '77 so I will put my thinking cap on. Dennis Dewey and Frank Dorritee were there when I arrived.

1985 DCI Hall of Famer, Don Angelica ( Cadets and Cabs soprano soloist extraordinaire ) also was a brass arranger for the Cadets BITD.

Incidentally for history buffs here that might even remotely care about this stuff :  Leornard Bernstein and Don Angelica were personal friends. Angelica would take his Cadets to watch the NY Phil and introduce them to Bernstein back stage after performances or the practices Angelica would take them too there.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

The northern NJ arrangers were not many. While Larry Kerschner's name is remembered with The Muchachos and The Bridgemen, I think he did a bit gig with Garfield Cadets but my recollection is fuzzy.

Onceuponatime and MikeD would be your best DCP sources to check. I'll get out my Cadets book.

11 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Jimmer arranged '82 for sure.  I am pretty sure he also did '81 and possibly '80. 

Just now, BillH said:

Jimmer arranged '82 for sure.  I am pretty sure he also did '81 and possibly '80. 

That's what I've been thinking, Hope all is well with you and your daughter..

23 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Correct. Dennis Dewey started in 78. Frank Dorritee and Al Decroach (RIP) were the heads of that magnificent 77 Brass line.

16 minutes ago, xandandl said:

The northern NJ arrangers were not many. While Larry Kerschner's name is remembered with The Muchachos and The Bridgemen, I think he did a bit gig with Garfield Cadets but my recollection is fuzzy.

Onceuponatime and MikeD would be your best DCP sources to check. I'll get out my Cadets book.

Larry worked with Cadets before Muchachos and Bayonne.... maybe 73-74?

Its hard to mention the Holy Name Cadets and not mention the Mura Family.

Al Mura was the Cadets Brass Instructor from 1949 to 1954. The Mura family had well over a dozen Children, Cousins, Nephews in the Cadets. The Mura Family itself produced 4 Drum Majors at the Cadets over the years too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Its hard to mention the Holy Name Cadets and not mention the Mura Family.

Al Mura was the Cadets Brass Instructor from 1949 to 1954. The Mura family had well over a dozen Children, Cousins, Nephews in the Cadets. The Mura Family itself produced 4 Drum Majors at the Cadets over the years too.

There have been many iconic families associated with Cadets over the years. It certainly became a family affair for many families  there who often pulled the corps in an upward direction and kept the corps head above water. The Mura's for sure one of them

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

Larry worked with Cadets before Muchachos and Bayonne.... maybe 73-74?

He taught both Jimmer and Donnie in Muchachos and made some day trips to Cadets in the early years that both his students were teaching Garfield.