Cadets 2017

13 minutes ago, Tobias said:

They were thin in the visual design catagory but beefed that up a lot. The guys that were responsible for the 2nd place guard from 2014 are back along with last year's group. Also Craig Sellers is heading up cleaning. He arrived the latter half of July and really helped clean up the drill which was taught to them in mid July. Should be a much better constructed and performed show. 

Visual visual visual. It's been the Achilles heel the past couple of seasons. Fix it and they should be in medal contention. Music certainly doesn't seem to be the problem. I always seem to enjoy listening to the CD more than watching the DVD. Would love to see Cadets have a top 3 colorguard again. And clean feet please :)

Edited by Brass34
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Visual visual visual. It's been the Achilles heel the past couple of seasons. Fix it and they should be in medal contention. Music certainly doesn't seem to be the problem. I always seem to enjoy listening to the CD more than watching the DVD. Would love to see Cadets have a top 3 colorguard again. And clean feet please :)

Agreed and that's all possible. 

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm optimistic that this years' Cadets will have more energy. Call me crazy but I found Bocook's arrangements to be getting very stale, I'm excited to see some new blood in the corps. 

What do you think the arranging at Blue Knights?  Stale?  

26 minutes ago, corpsband said:

It's been a bit repetitive stylistically (I'm guessing that has more to do with the ethereal feel they've been going for more than the arranging itself) but not sure about stale. He seems to mesh with BK's style more than he did with the Cadets. 

But what do I know

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

It's been a bit repetitive stylistically (I'm guessing that has more to do with the ethereal feel they've been going for more than the arranging itself) but not sure about stale. He seems to mesh with BK's style more than he did with the Cadets. 

But what do I know

yeah it would be hard to call BK stale.  

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

BK is fairly new with their current design team/stylistic approach. A bit early to be stale but agree his arranging at Cadets was getting redundant. Looking forward to some new energy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tobias said:

BK is fairly new with their current design team/stylistic approach. A bit early to be stale but agree his arranging at Cadets was getting redundant. Looking forward to some new energy.

I guess the point i'm making is that arrangers work within the constraints of the design.  Perhaps the design choices were  poor but I don't think I'm ready to point the finger at Jay for that (and his work elsewhere supports this).   IMO Sacktig/Bocook were the absolute best team in drum corps.  But the supporting cast of creatives on the design team all left (for whatever reason).  

BK is doing what many consider cutting edge work.

And we Crown honks anticipate amazing stuff from Jeff Sacktig at Crown.  

Because there's a great team surrounding each of them. 

Will the new team at Cadets produce great work?  Anxiously awaiting that answer.  

Edited by corpsband

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm optimistic that this years' Cadets will have more energy. Call me crazy but I found Bocook's arrangements to be getting very stale, I'm excited to see some new blood in the corps. 

Totally agree. I think Bocook was hindered by the sheets, so to speak.  His early and mid DCI work has been fabulous.

He's been doing stock marching band arrangements forever.  So his ability certainly isn't the problem.  Oh well. I hope he arranges again somewhere in DCI ( maybe he is and I don't know about it).  He's a Hall of Famer.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, corpsband said:

I guess the point i'm making is that arrangers work within the constraints of the design.  Perhaps the design choices were  poor but I don't think I'm ready to point the finger at Jay for that (and his work elsewhere supports this).   IMO Sacktig/Bocook were the absolute best team in drum corps.  But the supporting cast of creatives on the design team all left (for whatever reason).  

BK is doing what many consider cutting edge work.

And we Crown honks anticipate amazing stuff from Jeff Sacktig at Crown.  

Because there's a great team surrounding each of them. 

Will the new team at Cadets produce great work?  Anxiously awaiting that answer.  

I think there are as many questions about Crown as there are for Cadets. Great brass and drill as I said before may get you 4th but a great visual design and guard pops you into top 3. When cadets had a top 2 guard, they had a pretty successful season in 2014. Once that guard slipped even with an OTT award Brass line, the story changed in 2015. 

2 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I think there are as many questions about Crown as there are for Cadets. Great brass and drill as I said before may get you 4th but a great visual design and guard pops you into top 3. When cadets had a top 2 guard, they had a pretty successful season in 2014. Once that guard slipped even with an OTT award Brass line, the story changed in 2015. 

Questions surround both teams?  Absolutely.  More for one than the other?   We will both chose to look at things half-full for one side and half empty on the other:-)  Crown lost visual design and guard.  We lost Tom but the rest of the perc team stayed.  OTOH Cadets needed to reload the entire staff except the guard  (who after last season have to be considered a big question mark).  Basically Hop and Kristy were left :-)  

Anyway I think both teams filled all  the vacancies well.  

If Crown drops to 6th this season,  I'll agree with you :-) 

• Like 1