Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

BK is fairly new with their current design team/stylistic approach. A bit early to be stale but agree his arranging at Cadets was getting redundant. Looking forward to some new energy.

I've noticed lately you have a tendency to minimize a former staff member's ability whenever Cadets get a replacement for said former staff member. I don't think it's fair to diminish his abilities especially since they won brass in 2015. I believe it has more to do with the constraints of the show design of the specific year. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, corpsband said:

If Crown drops to 6th this season,  I'll agree with you :-) 

And that's highly unlikely IMO. I predict Cadets and Crown will both be top 5.  If Cadets move back up, someone has to come back down though.  And I have no idea which corp that would be

Edited by Brass34

10 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I've noticed lately you have a tendency to minimize a former staff member's ability whenever Cadets get a replacement for said former staff member. I don't think it's fair to diminish his abilities especially since they won brass in 2015. I believe it has more to do with the constraints of the show design of the specific year. 

Aw come on, he wasn't exactly minimizing his ability, just saying that his arrangements for one corps have been more fresh than arrangements for another. If anything, I deserve that criticism, but corpsband made a good correction, it isn't exactly the fault of Bocook, but instead the constraints with which he was put within the Cadets.

12 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

This.

You've got all these talented educators, designers, and arrangers, and not just from the Cadets or anything like that, that are constrained by the initial design decisions.

Basically, you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

And that's highly unlikely IMO. I predict Cadets and Crown will both be top 5.  If Cadets move back up, someone has to come back down though.  And I have no idea which corp that would be

Honestly look at this list.  There are two new names on it.  I know a lot of people (esp. those in team Fla) would like to believe that KP./LM  constituted the entire Crown design team but it's just not true.   In fact it's going to be very interesting to see what that team does without the rest of the names here.   Music is a huge component to the visual design.  It's the canvas on which you write and can strongly affect all the visual captions -- esp. the guard.  

Design Team

• David Starnes (Design Coordinator)
  • Michael Klesch (Music Director / Arranger)
  • Jeff Sacktig (Visual Designer)
  • Rick Subel (Artistic Coordinator / Choreographer)
  • Ron Hardin (Visual Caption Supervisor)
  • Thom Hannum (Percussion Director / Arranger)
  • Jim Ancona (Arranger - Front Ensemble)
  • Frank Sullivan (Sound Design /Arranger)
Edited by corpsband

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

I'm not minimizing anyone. They were great but not gods. Cadets have slipped a lot in the past decade. Lots of falls in rankings at tail end of season. They lost their effectiveness vs the decades where a third place was considered a bad season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

Questions surround both teams?  Absolutely.  More for one than the other?   We will both chose to look at things half-full for one side and half empty on the other:-)  Crown lost visual design and guard.  We lost Tom but the rest of the perc team stayed.  OTOH Cadets needed to reload the entire staff except the guard  (who after last season have to be considered a big question mark).  Basically Hop and Kristy were left :-)  

Anyway I think both teams filled all  the vacancies well.  

If Crown drops to 6th this season,  I'll agree with you :-) 

I remain optimistic for Cadets as you for Crown. I think Crown comes out stronger than Cadets but I think Cadets design will be one that improves their rankings as the season progresses. (Finally).

8 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I remain optimistic for Cadets as you for Crown. I think Crown comes out stronger than Cadets but I think Cadets design will be one that improves their rankings as the season progresses. (Finally).

Like I said, we're both honking for our teams :-)  

• Like 1

'Ima honk for both teams! I think Crown got the better visual upgrade here, but Cadets' show is going to be really fun.

HONK, HOOOOONK!

23 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I'm not minimizing anyone. They were great but not gods. Cadets have slipped a lot in the past decade. Lots of falls in rankings at tail end of season. They lost their effectiveness vs the decades where a third place was considered a bad season. 

That they've slipped doesn't mean it's entirely THEIR fault. And none of us knows if the new staff will be the "savior" that we crave. 

• Like 2