Cadets 2017

3 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

That's great for Boston.  ...and yes, Boston hasn't always been a destination corps.  That being said, as the question went, I was more curious about members from Cadets and Crown going TO Boston.  I mean you were talking about hornline members and shared that you believe that only a few people moved over from Cadets and Crown to Boston's brassline.  I've heard that a BUNCH of Crownie guard people followed instructors to Boston.  I would also imagine that some Cadet percussionists would follow instructors to Boston as well.

I mean, when the Rennicks went to SCV from Phantom, a bunch of people moved with them.

I'm not passing judgement and I don't have an agenda.  People can march where they want and be taught by whomever.

I personally only care about this because I think it is interesting to know these things, and I wonder how the talent moving to Boston will affect their placement.

Other people from the Cadets or Crown may have emotion about the topic, and I understand that as well.

I'd prefer not to get into such numbers publically. For reasons that are of my own choosing. I hope you'll respect that choice.

Edited by BRASSO

Just now, George Dixon said:

absolutely not

a very small number of drummers, 0 guard (that I'm aware of) and 2 or 3 brass

As far as Crown guard I've heard about 15-18 left with the staff for Crown but they have another sizable set of vets plus some great folks at auditions

sounds like all 3 corps should be fine

Ah, ok. Well this sounds like what I've heard.  Yes, I believe that all three corps will do just fine this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

I dunno, I've heard a lot of information through the drum corps grapevine that has been proved true.  Some of the information is incomplete, but it's actually ALL been true so far.

go read the "bluecoats show is..." post in the Coats thread if you want to read an untrue "grapevine" tale lol

13 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Ah, ok. Well this sounds like what I've heard.  Yes, I believe that all three corps will do just fine this year.

18 guard vets went with the old staff (some of those got alternate spots) .  13 guard vets stayed at Crown.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Agreed. Transfers from one Corps to another, both staff and marchers, has gone on since the inception of DCI itself. To that extent then, there is nothing new under the sun in this respect. Besides, everyone seems to agree that all Corps have adjusted just fine with the staff and marcher transfers ( and retentions ) that took place this off season. Same as it ever was. So yeah, based upon all the off season reports, all Corps are happy with their staffs and their Corps upcoming prospects for the season. Once again, most DCI Corps have seemingly adjusted fine to their staff changes and the marcher changes that annually take place each off season in DCI. It looks like an intriguing season once again, and it will be starting soon!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, HBD said:

I've heard through the grapevine a sizable amount of Cadets brass (35) made the trek to Boston this off season, but who really knows???

that outrageous number is not true. That may be the number of eligible vets who did not return. The larger number are sitting out the season, even their age-out after last season;s so so tour. Some are doing academically required internships especially in engineering. Some are preparing for MCats for Medical school as well as other graduate schools. A few went to Crown, a few to BD, SCV.  But definitely not even a dozen followed Gino despite the money offers.

My sources are the mms themselves, their parents and music profs, and some drum corps faculty members who received them.  And of course, Brasso.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

go read the "bluecoats show is..." post in the Coats thread if you want to read an untrue "grapevine" tale lol

Ah, I didn't read that one.

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

that outrageous number is not true. That may be the number of eligible vets who did not return. The larger number are sitting out the season, even their age-out after last season;s so so tour. Some are doing academically required internships especially in engineering. Some are preparing for MCats for Medical school as well as other graduate schools. A few went to Crown, a few to BD, SCV.  But definitely not even a dozen followed Gino despite the money offers.

My sources are the mms themselves, their parents and music profs, and some drum corps faculty members who received them.  And of course, Brasso.

35 not returning is about right.   that number is split a lot of ways including just not marching.

7 minutes ago, corpsband said:

18 guard vets went with the old staff (some of those got alternate spots) .  13 guard vets stayed at Crown.  

gotcha - I knew it was something in that range

from what I've seen from the Crown vlog etc and heard from a couple folks I know Crown had a massive influx of top talent folks trying out at the last camp for guard - talent won't be an issue!