Cadets 2017

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

You have to look pretty hard for it (page 4)

I'll go look right now.

• Like 1

Just now, corpsband said:

35 not returning is about right.   that number is split a lot of ways including just not marching.

Yup I heard 32. A typical year that number is about 20. A couple went to other corps and mostly they aren't marching for various "life" reasons

Just now, George Dixon said:

gotcha - I knew it was something in that range

from what I've seen from the Crown vlog etc and heard from a couple folks I know Crown had a massive influx of top talent folks trying out at the last camp for guard - talent won't be an issue!

yeah vets from all over showed up.  staff was super pleased with talent added and the talent returning.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Yup I heard 32. A typical year that number is about 20. A couple went to other corps and mostly they aren't marching for various "life" reasons

Cadets brass non-returns were offset somewhat by a sizeable group of folks moving up from C2 plus fewer actually ageouts than years past - they often turnover about half the brass line (even after a top year) either with ageouts or departures. Each year maybe 25-40 new members in the line

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

great story -- talked to someone while they were walking around looking at things at the last cadets camp and they were freaking out. "OMG the guard looks so young. like they are all middle schoolers".  turns out they were peeking in at the C2 guard.   cracked me up.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets brass non-returns were offset somewhat by a sizeable group of folks moving up from C2 plus fewer actually ageouts than years past - they often turnover about half the brass line (even after a top year) either with ageouts or departures. Each year maybe 25-40 new members in the line

considering there was no guarantee that it would happen,  the upward flow of talent from C2 to C1 has been pretty impressive.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

Just now, corpsband said:

great story -- talked to someone while they were walking around looking at things at the last cadets camp and they were freaking out. "OMG the guard looks so young. like they are all middle schoolers".  turns out they were peeking in at the C2 guard.   cracked me up.  

C2 practiced at my local HS this past summer and my friends went and watched them all day and then bragged to me they watched the Cadets all day - I broke the news to them that the Cadets were in TX at the time :)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Did you never see what George Zingali did with St. Anthony's, Revere, Mass. indoor guard which was basically a bunch of fifth and sixth graders?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

Did you never see what George Zingali did with St. Anthony's, Revere, Mass. indoor guard which was basically a bunch of fifth and sixth graders?

great instruction can trump inexperience :-)   teaching matters.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, corpsband said:

considering there was no guarantee that it would happen,  the upward flow of talent from C2 to C1 has been pretty impressive.  

Building a great farm system is always good.  (My Cubbies):thumbup:

• Like 1