Cadets 2017

8 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

The OCD part of me is freaking out because of that crooked "With incidental material by..." line.

It's just musical phrasing to accentuate the mood of the show. Not to worry and Drew is amazing. 

11 minutes ago, Tobias said:

It's just musical phrasing to accentuate the mood of the show. Not to worry and Drew is amazing. 

I think CC was more talking about how the placement of that particular line on that picture is crooked while the rest is straight. I don't think anyone has an issue with drum corps people putting in extra contextual stuff to help connect stuff that wasn't written for a football field.

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

The brass choir part sounds really intriguing.

Where are you hearing this? I wanna hear some brass! Yes. I am no longer telling Cadets to shut up until June. It's June (almost).

20 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I'm tentatively very very excited about this show. It seems MUCH thought and MANY design meetings occurred this winter. I think 2016 was a serious wake up call about what NOT to do. Maybe that was needed to get them to push the Cadets in new directions effectively.

I hope this show gives me what I want; some crowds on their feet screaming.

George, I have a request to make. Would it be at all possible for me to copy your two Cadet Color Guard rehearsal shots you posted recently? They're such fantastic photos I think they would help to excite the corps' base. I would of course give you full credit. If you prefer to keep them frozen I completely understand. Thank you for your consideration.   

Dave Shaw

Edited by onceuponatime
spelling correction

6 minutes ago, onceuponatime said:

George, I have a request to make. Would it be at all possible for me to copy your two Cadet Color Guard rehearsal shots you posted recently? They're such fantastic photos I think they would help to excite the corps' base. I would of course give you full credit. If you prefer to keep them frozen I completely understand. Thank you for your consideration.   

Dave Shaw

They are from Cadets FB page, not mine, I just linked them here. Yes - they are great photos! Go CBCCG!! As they said "back in the day"

So - with the maroon costume for the corps proper and the the parts of the show in two different colors - I wonder if they first two parts they are in a maroon costume, open with shako then middle portion (the fallen) sans any headgear, then for closer they have a cream costume underneath and add a white shako back? 

Just a guess - but the show release photo hints at something like that IMO and the show would lend itself to that approach with the "three acts" and the music chosen

The concept itself doesn't scream "championship" to me, but in all honestly... concepts rarely do.  It does seem to be pretty heavy, and that worries me a bit as the Cadets (read: Hop) don't always handle heavy stuff with a ton of design sophistication.  I'm hoping that having Lenny's people tied to this forces smarter decisions in this regard.

If pre-season hype on brass and percussion holds true, it seems like they could be a possible dark-horse though.  My expectations for this corps have steadily waned over the past few years, and while I always hope for their competitive success, this year is firmly in the wait-and-see camp.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 3

Yeah, when you step back and look at it, great concepts rarely indicate success on their own. While it is a huge asset for the corps, the a lackluster or great initial concept does not always determine success. I remember thinking that Awakening would be a home run when it was announced.

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Agreed. Last season was awful. With people in one-zies sliding down ramps as the top corps and it quickly went down hill from there. 

Yes, going back to the future with singing and Bernstein is sure to fix it.