Cadets 2017

Interesting, the speculation was that it was a more "modern," staged concept rather than run and gun, but now we're hearing (from people who are seeing--where are you seeing??) that it is "run and gun." At the very least the members will get an amazing amount of cardio (that sounds sarcastic but isn't--mastering the physical demands of shows gave me one of the biggest senses of achievement I've ever experienced).

Star Wars was overrated

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Interesting, the speculation was that it was a more "modern," staged concept rather than run and gun, but now we're hearing (from people who are seeing--where are you seeing??) that it is "run and gun." At the very least the members will get an amazing amount of cardio (that sounds sarcastic but isn't--mastering the physical demands of shows gave me one of the biggest senses of achievement I've ever experienced).

Star Wars was overrated

I mean, Dona Nobis Pacem is kind of "staged," in that the hornline is mostly scattered and then when the shout chorus comes around they all wander slowly to the front of the field.

Other than that, it's mostly fast drill between the 30s. It's a little disconcerting because it's so not Jeff. Not bad, just not Jeff.

3 minutes ago, whitedawn said:

Other than that, it's mostly fast drill between the 30s. It's a little disconcerting because it's so not Jeff. Not bad, just not Jeff.

That's too bad, I always liked how Cadets/Sacktig drill covered so much field--their shows looked like widescreen IMAX compared to the rest

13 hours ago, whitedawn said:

This show is very fun to watch and to listen to. Lots of running and gunning, which I enjoy. The drums are playing a ridiculous quantity of notes. The guard's work is very ambitious. The horns are aggressive but maybe a little sloppier than you'd like. As expected, it's a trainwreck so far, which is Standard Issue Cadets on June 11 or 12 of any year.

If we're interested in competing for a medal, we're doing it by making this statement: "We do what we do better than anyone else could possibly do it, and what we do is barely humanly possible."

My sense is that this doesn't win like it did 20 years ago, but who cares? It's just band and it's a lot of fun to watch.

That’s about the best I could hope for as I love Cadets doing Mass but want them to do Mass as Cadets

On 6/7/2017 at 11:42 AM, George Dixon said:

This year 8 corps will tour with 3 tractors and 3 trailers.  Last year was 7. Five years ago it was 0. The normal kitchen truck and normal equipment truck plus a prop truck as a rented tractor/ trailer. 

3 of those 8 own the third trailer. 5 rent. Most rent all the tractors

5 years ago and prior a few corps each season used a 24' rented truck for "props" - there isn't a huge difference in expense between that set up and the 3 semi set up

if anyone has more specific questions let me know

5 years ago the Cavaliers most definitely had a food truck, equipment truck, and Audrey. So the number definitely wasn't 0 five years ago.

Edited by littlejaw
Not trying to sound like an ########, trying to be informative.
  • Like 1