Cadets 2017

23 minutes ago, Ghost said:

So, they might be dressed in religious type attire which is normally long?  

My opinions and not fact or an announcement:

The corps and guard are in choir type robes for a very short part of the show. They are more tailored so they don't fly around all over the place and look sloppy. They are practicing in these skirt things to control the knee and lower leg movement during this part of the show. Marooon for the brass and Gold for the guard. They have another layer underneath and they are quickly removed out of site from the audience. The guard is out of them after Simple Song after they have a dance feature with "Books" (Bible) at the pews. The dance is very effective moment. The brass has a feature in a block midfield and then the robes come off after Agnus. 

The costumes underneath are more like what several other corps are using, but these are more specific. Then they add a shako and an overlay for the closer

There are huge stain glass windows surrounding the sides and back of the field which look fantastic and provide a "backstage" for all this to take place out of sight. Written into the drill. 

The closer I'd expect a very white or cream color scheme for the "Forgiven" portion. 

• Like 2

anyone see the latest video blast from Hop? Other than throwing his staff/volunteers under the bus when it comes to having things ready, he mentioned that there is going to be a big medley closer with grand flags, etc. I hope it doesn't turn into another 2014 ending

• Like 2

On 6/8/2017 at 1:26 PM, 2000Cadet said:

I've always wanted to play tuba but I was 1. too short to carry that, 2. wasn't strong enough, and 3. couldn't generate enough air for that instrument. 

problems

44 minutes ago, FTNK said:

anyone see the latest video blast from Hop? Other than throwing his staff/volunteers under the bus when it comes to having things ready, he mentioned that there is going to be a big medley closer with grand flags, etc. I hope it doesn't turn into another 2014 ending

Rut ro, Shaggy...

58 minutes ago, FTNK said:

bf79f128135ebf4e852a63fece90c53c.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cadet93 said:

Thanks for the feedback!

So weird to think of a Cadets show "that is better than the last few years" having a placement cap of 4th place.

Do you say that because of the talent in the various captions, or mainly the improvement and strengh of other corps?

I guess that is where we find ourselves now.....

I think all the captions are totally fine, but show design wins. You can win with a great design but less-than-perfect performance (cough, Bluecoats, cough), but you cannot win with the cleanest performance possible of a show that isn't "great design," as defined by the judging community in any given year.

Everything about this show is "fine." I would have really enjoyed performing this show, but it isn't "top tier" design, in my estimation.

18 minutes ago, whitedawn said:

I think all the captions are totally fine, but show design wins. You can win with a great design but less-than-perfect performance (cough, Bluecoats, cough), but you cannot win with the cleanest performance possible of a show that isn't "great design," as defined by the judging community in any given year.

Everything about this show is "fine." I would have really enjoyed performing this show, but it isn't "top tier" design, in my estimation.

I can definitely recall years where the disparity between execution, GE and analysis cost people placements.  "Wow, that was really clean."  "Yeah, of course it was, they have the easiest book in the top 12."  I had someone who marched SOA in '79 tell me they were rewriting major parts of their drill the morning of Finals... and the DCI judges were helping the staff teach it!

BTW, this is actually a total flip flop from the situation the Argonne Rebels had in 1972 with their horn book.  Sandra Opie had them playing stuff that was in a class by itself as far as level of difficulty, but there was nothing in the field judging to take that into effect.  They finished first in music analysis but seventh in field brass.  It cost them at least a shot at making top 3.

Some of the comments in this thread are pretty ridiculous. Can we let them learn the show and at least perform it a couple times before we dismiss it as so-so 

• Like 9