Cadets 2017

22 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

Having watched the streamed show tonight, I am still liking my concept for the show (which was pitched many times before they ever announced they wer doing Mass this year) more.  I am still waiting to actually see them in competition before passing judgment, but I have three general comments.  First, they need to let the 12/8 section breathe and try to get a little more down and dirty bass sound under the whole segment.  Second, they can't possibly wear those full uniforms that long and be successful.  Third, they need to really not be so literal in costumes and in concept.  Not sure why the guard have to wear alter boy outfits?   Sometimes less is more and the fans can fill in the blanks.  But, like I said, I am not saying anything until I see them in person.  

Im with you on the first guard costume Tony.

Its funny on the "literal" issue.  Today on FB Hopkins said he was told that they have been too smart for their own good in show design recently.   I heard this and thought Really!?

Massive american flags, counting to 10, statues coming to life......uh ok.

I want to like them I really do...recently it has been hard.

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Yup!

Thank god they have two more days lol

They practiced coming on the field. They were cleaner than yesterday. Balance is still way off on the electronics. 

But it was much improved "performance" than Monday in terms of confidence etc. Which is huge.

They are about 3 points behind Cavaliers/Crown IMO. Maybe by Thursday night that can be 2.75 :)

Already have them 3 points behind Cavies and Crown--geesh!  Then thank God you're not one of the men in green judging in Indy.

i wasn't all that impressed with what I saw from Cavies and still don't with Crown.  But as you have said George, we'll see come Thursday night.

Fan of the Arts

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Its funny on the "literal" issue.  Today on FB Hopkins said he was told that they have been too smart for their own good in show design recently.   I heard this and thought Really!?

Well, by "smart" they probably meant overthinking things. Trying to be clever.  That sort of thing.  I don't know...just guessing. 

14 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Im with you on the first guard costume Tony.

The Cadets have designed the most "on the nose" shows in DCI the past 4-5 years. I've enjoyed some, not enjoyed some others. 

I agree that sometimes it's better to let the audience fill in the blanks rather than bludgeon them with the concept repeatedly. 

In other words, more nuance please. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tony L. said:

Having watched the streamed show tonight, I am still liking my concept for the show (which was pitched many times before they ever announced they wer doing Mass this year) more.  I am still waiting to actually see them in competition before passing judgment, but I have three general comments.  First, they need to let the 12/8 section breathe and try to get a little more down and dirty bass sound under the whole segment.  Second, they can't possibly wear those full uniforms that long and be successful.  Third, they need to really not be so literal in costumes and in concept.  Not sure why the guard have to wear altar boy outfits?   Sometimes less is more and the fans can fill in the blanks.  But, like I said, I am not saying anything until I see them in person.  

altar: the table of worship sacrifice

alter: to trim or change (and that is what they are doing.)

Edited by xandandl

Anyone know if the corps be in full altar boy costiforms tomorrow for the kick-off?

17 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

If GH BS was music he would be a brass band. Nothing about this show is special or original. 

Your consistently negative putdowns without any positive contributions ever live up to your screen name thoroughly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

If GH BS was music he would be a brass band. Nothing about this show is special or original. 

Poppycock.....this is the show that will surprise you come Indy in August.  Will you be ok if it places where you don't expect it to?

Fan of the Arts