Cadets 2017

7 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

I don't think it's so much this thread. Bluecoats one had a little and opening night did too. People here seem pretty hopeful/supportive which we all should be for all corps with how much work they put in. Even if you don't enjoy the show.

That is true, this season will be an interesting one for The Cadets. 

• Like 1

Wow Cadets! Very pleased with the product I heard and saw tonight. Most mature design they've had in a long time. Drew Shanefield wrote a very enjoyable brass score. The costumes are pretty stunning, the maroon jackets especially. The gold shoes look a little more regal up top than they do down low. In terms of the season, this show had the most potential in my eyes. I was mesmerized! If the kids continue to clean, and the staff refines some of the rougher spots, I could see their roof being the bronze medal! Congratulations on a fantastic start to the season!

• Like 2

I think they should evolve to the point where the removal of a robe by one final individual or individuals becomes a moment in the show.  Make it less large groups and more indidual drama.  That is where the potential impact will be.  Make ot a point of drama rather than a simple task that is doen all at once.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tony L. said:

I think they should evolve to the point where the removal of a robe by one final individual or individuals becomes a moment in the show.  Make it less large groups and more indidual drama.  That is where the potential impact will be.  Make ot a point of drama rather than a simple task that is doen all at once.

That sounds like the "drum corps" thing to do, and for that reason I hope they don't

Just now, Tony L. said:

I agree, I think my biggest gripe with the show design at this point is that there seems to be a lot more "telling" happening in regards to story/plot/arc than there is "showing." I personally feel like they should cut down the narration a bit and try to make more of the drama happen on the field. I think this would help their GE and also make the show run a lot more smoothly. Right now it feels to me like the narration kind of chunks up the show a little unnaturally and breaks the pacing/flow a bit too much for my liking, so if they could better integrate the narration into the show and make the visuals tell a greater portion of the story I think they'd have a much more effective design. 

• Like 2

I like this show. Lots of potential. I hate the full robes - the corps looks like blobs blobbing across the field. I love love love the jacket/bodysuit combo, and very much wish they'd ditch the robe for those much earlier in the show. I don't like the staggered uniform changes, especially if you're not going to do anything visually with half the corps in maroon and half in white. I thought the choir was awesome, and hope they get even more to do in the show. I thought the drumline was fantastic. And I think this may be one of those "check back with us in August" sorts of productions.

Mike

• Like 2