Cadets 2017

27 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Goodness sakes...I guess I'm getting soft in my old age,  I felt bad about saying something about the Crown singer, bless her heart.  But I don't think I could work up the kind of vitriol for anything besides a terrorist perhaps, that I've seen on DCP.  Life is short.  And a lot easier if you accentuate the positive and keep a handle on the negative.  I'm not singling anyone out in particular but it's early.  Let's give them a chance. 

They're animals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

You're a glass half full guy. The older I get the more I like to hang around with people like you. Life is too darn short....

I know this was directed at George, but for me, I'm neither a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" kind of guy. I'm more a "why don't we find the right-sized glass for the amount of liquid we have" kind of guy.

As in, I don't say "Oh my goodness, wow, woweee!!!  Everybody better watch out because these guys are bringing it this year!!!" nor do I say "this is the most wretchedly designed show since that 1952 fiasco from X corps ... heck its even worse than that!!!"

I'm one of these guys who says:

• The gold ankh, with the red fill and blue stripe, on the white unitard aren't aesthetically pleasing or effective from the stands (or close up, for that matter) - the dark section in the midriff just looks like a blurry hole in the body.  It would probably be better if it was a solid white unitard with perhaps some gold splattering/rays threaded into the top portion, as if they were bathed in celestial light (heaviest on the shoulders, then tapering off down the upper torso).  You could also accent the form of the marcher with a rich velvety waist/drop sash. 
  • Given that the dramatics of The Celebrant are more particular to the full-length Mass, and not necessarily central or even necessary to the Cadets' abridged version, the reliance upon a line of dialogue in between each section of music could be trimmed or eliminated as unnecessary, and jarring.  Starting with "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirt" and ending with the "The Mass has ended; go in peace" would be sufficient, and more effective because of the reduced amount of lines.  If the confession idea is deemed integral, perhaps instead of the vocals a single marcher could approach one of the Drum Majors (still in cassocks) and penitently kneed before them, and with a hand placed on their head gain absolution during the Almighty Father choir section.

I could go on, but that's the type of post I wish there was more of here.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

There's so much misinformation in this thread I chalk most of it up to snarky 

so tom is back there writing the percussion, just like the 90s and 2s 

sully is there

arranger arranged cadets in 95

And yes Hop is there 

FYI Bocook arranged the Cadets in 95 and Drew Shanefield was the brass captionhead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

I know this was directed at George, but for me, I'm neither a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" kind of guy. I'm more a "why don't we find the right-sized glass for the amount of liquid we have" kind of guy.

As in, I don't say "Oh my goodness, wow, woweee!!!  Everybody better watch out because these guys are bringing it this year!!!" nor do I say "this is the most wretchedly designed show since that 1952 fiasco from X corps ... heck its even worse than that!!!"

I'm one of these guys who says:

• The gold ankh, with the red fill and blue stripe, on the white unitard aren't aesthetically pleasing or effective from the stands (or close up, for that matter) - the dark section in the midriff just looks like a blurry hole in the body.  It would probably be better if it was a solid white unitard with perhaps some gold splattering/rays threaded into the top portion, as if they were bathed in celestial light (heaviest on the shoulders, then tapering off down the upper torso).  You could also accent the form of the marcher with a rich velvety waist/drop sash. 
  • Given that the dramatics of The Celebrant are more particular to the full-length Mass, and not necessarily central or even necessary to the Cadets' abridged version, the reliance upon a line of dialogue in between each section of music could be trimmed or eliminated as unnecessary, and jarring.  Starting with "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirt" and ending with the "The Mass has ended; go in peace" would be sufficient, and more effective because of the reduced amount of lines.  If the confession idea is deemed integral, perhaps instead of the vocals a single marcher could approach one of the Drum Majors (still in cassocks) and penitently kneed before them, and with a hand placed on their head gain absolution during the Almighty Father choir section.

I could go on, but that's the type of post I wish there was more of here.

Well Stated.....I always get a kick out of the "No one is going to beat so and so this year".  "Wow x corps is definitely out for blood"  Oh, Y corps won the second show of the year by .8 no one will beat them again and they are gonna win the trophy.  This is the night Z corps passes x corps....

Don't get that attitude lol.....DCI Hype is certainly entertaining though.

• Like 1

Just now, StarWasOverrated said:

FYI Bocook arranged the Cadets in 95 and Drew Shanefield was the brass captionhead.

Oh gotcha that's right! I knew that lol