Cadets 2017

5 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I though the Rocky Point warmup (and also the more recent additions to it) were arranged by Jay Bocook?  

You may be right - perhaps I was thinking of the Mahler warmup.  I'll have to go back a check the music.

Edit:  @Tommeee, you are correct.  It was Bocook's arrangement of Rocky Point.  Cipriani's arrangements of Mahler's 2nd and Lincolnshire Posy.  Sorry about that.

Edited by Eleran

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

To the best of my knowledge, it has not been included in their repertoire for this season.

Wow.

That hurts more than the uniforms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

I thought the Rocky Point warmup (and also the more recent additions to it) were arranged by Jay Bocook?

The 2000 version was arranged by Bocook, but was almost 1983 verbatim.

2001 and 2002 version was slightly different. Didn't play it in 2003 (it was in the show).

2004-2016 was the 2001 version but they scrapped a couple of the releases at the end.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Rocky needed retired big time. Glad they did it. Can bring it back later.

False.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Rocky needed retired big time. Glad they did it. Can bring it back later.

To me, this is like saying BD needs to stop doing space chords. No lol.

• Like 6

At Cadets.

Fans of the corps have nothing to worry about. The 2017 Cadets won't be limping into finals, they should be building steam and gaining in score 

Staff is doing an amazing job. What an incredibly well-run ensemble. Positive, focused, fun and productive with great energy. It doesn't feel like just a different year, it's a whole new vibe!

Guard. Improving rapidly to say the least. They haven't had a guard potentially this good since 2005, going to be very interesting to watch it grow. Kristy on the field spending time with the weapons and some dance moments, her presence reminds me of April in the best possible way. I don't think I saw a drop the entire rehearsal. Last season every big moment seemed to suffer from a drop - mostly from a lack of confidence it seemed

Cadets "Team Vocal" simply sound amazing at moments woven into the ensemble. Might be the Cadets "secret weapon this season" & anyone thinking Cadets aren't innovative anymore see the HNCVE 2017 lol. It's a dynamic presence for this years production and quite possibly the best use of voice in drum corps yet. Time will tell. 

Battery sounding really good... a lot of ensemble rehearsal feedback aimed at the front ensemble and articulation in the vocalists. Dut levels, snare listening and attacks, lots of focus by the staff 

Brass has a much more 90s Cadets tone and sound. Blatissimo 24/7 wouldn't mesh well with the Bernstein score so this is a good thing.

Lots of work to do in the feet and individuals popping out dynamically. Need to build that projection to the box so it is hitting us in the chest. That will be their season-long task. The show needs a big brass sound at the hold of Simple Song, the end of Part 2 and of course in the shows big push finale where they intend to speed things up and pull the crowd out of their seats 

The rehearsal support level from visual  techs is significant. Either 4 or five of them with their dot sticks, out there right now drilling those feet. Feels like a finals week rehearsal in that aspect in terms of intensity of a desire and intent to improve

The rehearsal left me feeling both optimistic and impressed.

Those discounting the show design are simply wrong in my view, it's a top level design that will be refined and be layered all summer.

They are a tiny bit behind right now (imo) and their scores reflect such. This could turn into a 3 standing O' GE monster if elements fall into place and the workers are focused and diligent. 

The show requires some speed and sound offset by raw emotion when we slow things down and question faith. These are massive themes the members must understand and convey

The members clearly love the show and enjoy performing it.  That much is clear. Can they build its climax into a magical conclusion fitting to Mass? 

Finally a note: no competitive predictions here. In the oh-so-strong 2017 season it is quite possible to improve dramatically and fall in rankings.

Time to roll up ones burgundy sleeves and skirts and work it.  The task is right infront of them, and happily, the vision is clear

George

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

False.

It actually did need to take a vacation.

With Gino's departure it would be unfair in my view to ask the new brass team to follow in his footsteps in that manner, pick up right where he left off, and draw the obvious and immediate comparsions

Rocky won't be the same without Gino.

His energy was undeniable 

Let some time pass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

It actually did need to take a vacation.

With Gino's departure it would be unfair in my view to ask the new brass team to follow in his footsteps in that manner, pick up right where he left off, and draw the obvious and immediate comparsions

Rocky won't be the same without Gino.

His energy was undeniable 

Let some time pass.

I always thought of Rocky Point as a Cadet thing.

Not a Gino thing.

• Like 1