Cadets 2017

26 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Anything is possible, sure.  They certainly seem to be winning over some staunch critics already.  I just can't go blindly along with those assessments until I see the show for myself.  I don't doubt the positive energy, and I'm glad members and staff seem to be firing on all cylinders right now.  Really glad to see the guard doing well.

My primary struggle right now is their treatment of the source material as a soundtrack for a Catholic redemption tale, which was not Bernstein's MO at all.  If they can tweak that and make the show literally less preachy (#letusPRAY), then I'm sure I'll begin to come around.

Considering the source material (in my opinion) if the Cadets strive for mediocrity in getting across the show theme (without beating us over the head) they will target a larger audience.  You won't tee off the Catholics, the non believers, atheists or agnostics.  You can view the show for its pure beauty especially the last portion "the forgiven".  Which completes what the Cadets are trying to convey.  In my eyes, beautiful.  They will work it out especially if they are listening to the critique tapes from the judges.  The choir used as literally another voice is simply magnificent!

Fan of the Arts

4 minutes ago, wallace said:

Exactly! They could have used Peter in the windows symbolizing the theme. For example, they could have walking on the water for Faithful, denying Christ for Fallen, and the resurrected Christ thrice forgiving Peter for Forgiven.

OK, but if they add a rooster sound, I may have to bail.

• Like 4

Just now, skevinp said:

Well played, sir, well played.

10 minutes ago, skevinp said:

.....still laughing!!!

Fan of the Arts

2 hours ago, wallace said:

They should be made to have more context with the show. Stained glass in churches aren't there for decoration. They teach. Some churches use the Stations of the Cross. Others have the stories of the Church Fathers. It's really a missed opportunity thematically to have them in a random pattern.

For someone who's an atheist, what lesson would I learn from the stained glass? Serious question, not sarcasm at all. 

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

For someone who's an atheist, what lesson would I learn from the stained glass? Serious question, not sarcasm at all. 

Personally I think they just add a pop of color, create an environment for the show and are just predominately a place where members change costuming...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tobias said:

Personally I think they just add a pop of color, create an environment for the show and are just predominately a place where members change costuming...

That's what I got from them. I don't think they should be moved within the show. Cadets are not really good with that. Leave the props stationary. They don't move windows around in a church do they? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wallace said:

I never competed against myself. I always measured myself by my peers. What's the point of "personal perfection" if a competing corps puts a beatdown on my corps? Even worse, what's the point of it if my corps is beaten by hundredths of a point? THAT would drive me.

I don't really think you got the point. How can you personally affect someone else during the show to improve your corps score? You can't. All you can do is be the best you can be. As everyone does that, the corps score should obviously go up.

As I said before, some people use the competitive aspect of it a lot more to drive them. But the point is still the same. Instead of competing with yourself, you're using losing to someone else to drive you to have a better show next time so you win the next one. If your corps is dominating and you feel like you're only giving it 80%, do you have the motivation to keep getting better and getting up to 100%? You're already blowing everyone else out of the water so why put in the extra work in that case? That wasn't a mentality we had at Crown and I doubt any corps really run that kind of thinking.

31 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

That's what I got from them. I don't think they should be moved within the show. Cadets are not really good with that. Leave the props stationary. They don't move windows around in a church do they? 

Agreed

• Like 1