Cadets 2017

It sounds like from some of the reports that it's the same story as the last few years: Cadets will not be improving enough to overtake their closest competition that's already ahead of them and may even slip.  Kind of tired of hoping that they will return to the "glory days."  They have lost their way.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

as far as Cadets they are flat out dirty and they really need to take a lot of things out of the show to allow one to focus, narration can go, robes for brass can go, some of the electronics can go    less is more especially when the more is pretty dirty 

I was hoping that the changes would have made a difference, but my ancient brain can't sort them out.  One might think GH is heavily involved again, verbally or idea wise, and throwing stuff out there to see what sticks.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I was hoping that the changes would have made a difference, but my ancient brain can't sort them out.  One might think GH is heavily involved again, verbally or idea wise, and throwing stuff out there to see what sticks.

I was in DeKalb and Cadets are not very engaging. IMO Don't see it above 7th and it might take a miracle to stay there because here comes BK. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I must be the only one utterly bored by SCV, other than impressed by their percussion and guard. It has zero heart 

It is sterile, but performed well, loud, and fast.  I also search to find an emotional connection in their show.  You arent the only one.... I think some of it is sentimentality.

50 minutes ago, sched88 said:

It sounds like from some of the reports that it's the same story as the last few years: Cadets will not be improving enough to overtake their closest competition that's already ahead of them and may even slip.  Kind of tired of hoping that they will return to the "glory days."  They have lost their way.

No Glory Days again until a top shelf visual and guard staff are hired, and I dont see how that will happen...

If you are going esoteric, you better be off the charts in complexity...a la ReWrite of Spring. This show is just boring. I don't really know what George is thinking and feeling when he starts dreaming of show concepts. Hey let's do a show with deep catholic undertones where we have heavy handed narration and our members are marching in robes for half the show.

I mean, really, show me a high school or college band person who would get excited  about this?

And it's not going to hold up in complexity when compared with many other corps. Cadets either have to compete on show design, charts or GE. Personally I don think this show is top seven in any of those categories. Heck Mandarins gets bigger crowd involvement than Cadets. I love the idea behind Bernstein but if you are going to go Bernstein you'd better not be marching in choir robes with big stained glass window props in the backfield.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

I don't know what you all are talking about, when I saw them live in Lexington I was surprised with how much I enjoyed this show. It's not scoring well but it's pleasing some people.