Cadets 2017

Just now, BRASSO said:

it seems to make you say one thing, but claim another. Sure, that does seem a bit " odd " to some observers, George. I guess you don't see what you post on here as " odd " ( or on reddit for that matter ). But people do get to vote on comments on some other sites too. I don't think those folks that vote downvotes are " odd " either George, But who knows, maybe you think lots of Drum Corps fans both here and around are " extremely odd ". I don't think most Drum corps fans are ' extremely odd ". I think saying one thing but claiming another is rather " odd ". But thats just my opinion here too.

no pretty much just you :inlove:

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I wish I could! Moving into a new place this weekend so I'm busy busy 

hope the move goes well!! At least it's cooler than it has been in the DC area

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

no pretty much just you :inlove:

No. I don't think so. You made a comment that was so " odd " on Reddit this week that it generated more downvotes from Drum Corps fans there ( many young fans, by the way ) that it might have set a single day record for downvotes. So I don't think I'm as " odd " as you now claim I am George. Incidentally, I never claimed YOU are " odd " I replied to your claim that I am " odd ", with your intention to take credit today for something you never said at all... something that I find " odd " in your comments.. thats all. But I see no point in getting into a further back and forth on this with you ( I thought you said you had me on ignore ? ). I listed the page, date above to show that what you are claiming today was untrue. If anybody wants to go back and read what you actually said, its there. If not, its fine. We move on. Good luck to all the Corps performers tonite.

Edited by BRASSO

16 hours ago, jsd said:

Sorry, but it is terrible that we are discussing the Cadets as a mid tier corps as if it is a good thing. 

The concept of the show is on point; the performance of it is lacking, and that is disappointing. 

Last year, the kids were killing it, and the show was lacking in design. This year, the show is pretty slamming, but the execution is not anywhere close to where it needs to be. 

Again, DCI is better when the Cadets are in the mix to win.

I get that you love Cadets, but to say DCI is better off when they are in contention to win makes no sense.  With Crown and Bloo both with recent titles and SCV making their move this year and of course BD still in the top 2 for more than a decade, there is no room for Cadets unless they start making positive changes.  To think Cadets could get 8th place this year is shocking for my brain to comprehend, but once I saw their show I got it.  George needs to stop with the gimmicks and just put out a great product.  I know they have lost some people, but he needs to get things back in order.  I fell in love with Garfield in 83 (I marched Sac in 83), and from that year on until a couple years ago Cadets always had this mystique about them.  That mystique is now gone and it makes me sad.  I hope they can turn things around soon.  It is not bad to get 8th place.  I know what it is like, but for Freelancers it was our highest placement yet.  It is a different situation totally for Cadets.

Edited by jmc5682
grammar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I get that you love Cadets, but to say DCI is better off when they are in contention to win makes no sense.  With Crown and Bloo both with recent titles and SCV making their move this year and of course BD still in the top 2 for more than a decade, there is no room for Cadets unless they start making positive changes.  To think Cadets could get 8th place this year is shocking for my brain to comprehend, but once I saw their show I got it.  George needs to stop with the gimmicks and just put out a great product.  I know they have lost some people, but he needs to get things back in order.  I fell in love with Garfield in 83 (I marched Sac in 83), and from that year on until a couple years ago Cadets always had this mystique about them.  That mystique is now gone and it makes me sad.  I hope they can turn things around soon.  It is not bad to get 8th place.  I know what it is like, but for Freelancers it was our highest placement yet.  It is a different situation totally for Cadets.

They aren't 8th yet! And I seriously doubt they will be. Consistently, they have been close to Cavaliers in effect head to head, so that shows the judges think the product is in that same tie at leastr. The execution numbers are getting there, they were spectacular in San Antonio (frankly, I had them half a point over Crusaders, but I'm guilty of putting product over performance). 

I'm really pulling for them, to maintain 6th will definitely help them retention wise and they can come back with another incredible show in 2018!

3 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

Good comments. I agree.  With some of the downfall in show design, or cheesing up a show, from the past 3 years we were bound to see Cadets take a little plunge. It feels weird, but it happened. End of story.  Then things happened during the off-season. 

And as you said, nobody is guaranteed top 3.  Whether a person feels DCI is better off with Cadets in contention is a personal belief.  DCI does not feel that way.  Either you earn top 3 or not.  Bluecoats and Crown have done amazing things in recent years.  SCV is looking to finally grab a top 3 spot after something like 13 years. SCV is one of the all-time great organizations and it's been 13 years since they were top 3. That sums up how hard it is.  As we've seen from other corps, once you get knocked out of the box (top 3) it is tough to return.  I have no doubt Cadets will return, but it's not an easy task, especially with a very healthy and hungry (and talented) Boston Crusaders corps now in the mix on the east coast. 

I learned a long time ago to not make excuses for a corps (although I still do on occasion with my favs). If things go down hill, for whatever reason, then so be it. Deal with it. Identify the problem, move on, and fix it.  I think that is what Cadets are trying to do, but there is no simple solution. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 7