Cadets 2017

4 hours ago, brichtimp said:

I wonder if it's the battery or the pit that is having a bigger impact on the low percussion scoring. In terms of battery staging, it was a similar issue in 2014, and that section ended up 4th (if I recall). I think the battery chops and writing are awesome this year, btw.

My sources say it's the pit that's dragging down the scores. I don't think the staging helps either.

2 minutes ago, Tobias said:

My sources say it's the pit that's dragging down the scores. I don't think the staging helps either.

But at the start of the season didn't GH say they were super talented?  In which case this comment is surprising?

17 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the judging, but as a spectator, The a Cadets show does not draw attention to the pit, the guard, or even (except when they are playing alone) the percussion. The focus seems clearly on the brass and choir. Contrast that to Cavs and Crusaders, where the guard is much more central to the experience. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing (guard on BD is not as noticeable either) - just an observation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brichtimp said:

I wonder if it's the battery or the pit that is having a bigger impact on the low percussion scoring. In terms of battery staging, it was a similar issue in 2014, and that section ended up 4th (if I recall). I think the battery chops and writing are awesome this year, btw.

IMO the chops are without doubt there, this group can play but unfortunately the staging looks to be a bit of what do we do with the battery. Most of the book is played on the move and far back field in one corner or another of side one and two. The side two percussion feature is so poorly stagged (too far to the right) it's not recognized or rewarded as it could be. The balance between the front ensemble and battery is very heavy up front. There are times I can't here how things line up front to back because I can't hear the battery. An overuse of amplification. It was an interesting idea (20 keyboards) that gets lost in a sea of graduation gowns. Tossing away of the graduation gowns would allow for more recognition and enjoyment of both the quality of coherence and intelligibility with respect to the split writting being demonstrated. If nothing changes, nothings going to change, so forget bout it too late, not even a prayer will save this percussion section from a likely 7th-9th placement. What a shame too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Icer said:

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the judging, but as a spectator, The a Cadets show does not draw attention to the pit, the guard, or even (except when they are playing alone) the percussion. The focus seems clearly on the brass and choir. Contrast that to Cavs and Crusaders, where the guard is much more central to the experience. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing (guard on BD is not as noticeable either) - just an observation. 

That may be your individual interest. The guard is certainly well staged. The intricacies of judging can baffle even the most experienced drum corps spectators. I'm baffled the Cadets are scoring as low as they are this season. Im baffled Crown is over Bloo. Im baffled Cavies are scoring where they are so I agree with your statement.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

IMO the chops are without doubt there, this group can play but unfortunately the staging looks to be a bit of what do we do with the battery. Most of the book is played on the move and far back field in one corner or another of side one and two. The side two percussion feature is so poorly stagged (too far to the right) it's not recognized or rewarded as it could be. The balance between the front ensemble and battery is very heavy up front. There are times I can't here how things line up front to back because I can't hear the battery. An overuse of amplification. It was an interesting idea (20 keyboards) that gets lost in a sea of graduation gowns. Tossing away of the graduation gowns would allow for more recognition and enjoyment of both the quality of coherence and intelligibility with respect to the split writting being demonstrated. If nothing changes, nothings going to change, so forget bout it too late, not even a prayer will save this percussion section from a likely 7th-9th placement. What a shame too.

I'm hoping Tom jumps in there and makes the adjustments needed. Some may be easy. Cadets should not be struggling in Percussion. My understanding from my sources inside is the judges just don't know how to judge the choir since it's a big portion of the show and it's adversely affecting both brass and percussion scores. Not sure why it's taking the entire season to adjust to who to listen to when. They've eliminated a lot of the simultaneous choir, brass, Percussion moments to make it easier. When Bloo did all the micing in Kenetic noise, judges seemed to learn who was playing when and adjusted. Not sure why a "live choir" which should be garnishing the corps points for their amazing talent/performance in effect is seen as a hindrance.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I'm hoping Tom jumps in there and makes the adjustments needed. Some may be easy. Cadets should not be struggling in Percussion. My understanding from my sources inside is the judges just don't know how to judge the choir since it's a big portion of the show and it's adversely affecting both brass and percussion scores. Not sure why it's taking the entire season to adjust to who to listen to when. They've eliminated a lot of the simultaneous choir, brass, Percussion moments to make it easier. When Bloo did all the micing in Kenetic noise, judges seemed to learn who was playing when and adjusted. Not sure why a "live choir" which should be garnishing the corps points for their amazing talent/performance in effect is seen as a hindrance.

I was pretending the chior wasn't even there in my assessment but they add to many of the balance issues up front. I would have placed the chior center field on risers with a few stained glass panes around them and integrate the entire visual around them.

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

I was pretending the chior wasn't even there in my assessment but they add to many of the balance issues up front. I would have placed the chior center field on risers with a few stained glass panes around them and integrate the entire visual around them.

(Note: the following is in jest.)

Because having a stage in the middle of the field with vocalists on it and building the visual around that has never gone poorly for the Cadets before...

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

That may be your individual interest. The guard is certainly well staged. The intricacies of judging can baffle even the most experienced drum corps spectators. I'm baffled the Cadets are scoring as low as they are this season. Im baffled Crown is over Bloo. Im baffled Cavies are scoring where they are so I agree with your statement.

We all have individual biases, to be sure. And if I specifically focus on the guard and block out the rest, I would tend to agree with you (and I guess that's what the judges are supposed to do).  But when I watch this show, my attention keeps being drawn to the brass and choir.

When they were having feedback issues I wondered if moving the choir back behind the pews would be a good move. But now I think that would not be a good idea because it would further draw attention away. In hindsight (which is easy for us since we can make statements with no consequences) and if it were technically feasible, I would have built a choir "loft" dead center in the back of the field. So as the attention was drawn to the choir, it would be right through the rest of the corps. I'm not sure the wireless mics would reach that far, or if it would require a Bluecoats situation with 15 speakers on the field.  But regardless of where Cadets place, this is not the last time we will see a choir - high schools are bound to try it when they have no limitation of 150 performers.  So people,will learn from what they see and figure out how to make it work. All great fun and great artistic expression. 

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

(Note: the following is in jest.)

Because having a stage in the middle of the field with vocalists on it and building the visual around that has never gone poorly for the Cadets before...

This.