Cadets 2017

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

my understanding is after teaching/designing at a corps one must wait an "off season" prior to being eligible to judge

OK no one  that is involved this year should be teaching Cadets.  Nothing that is going on will  with the remainder of the the season should change the judging of Cadets shows.

26 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I've always pictured an On The Waterfront production for Cadets in a black and white color scheme (like the movie) with pops of orange and red during specific parts

Massive scrim backgrounds of the NYC waterfront - old B&W photos blown up or  stylized and mounted on scaffolding. As big as possible to give the production a very dramatic and theatrical feel. These would be stationary but turn around during the "ballad" and be all white with couple levels male/female guard members could couple dance against the big white background

Corps could be in black and white as well - guard maybe in gray. Story line non literal but have a boy/girl kind of playoff ala WSS - from different sides of the tracks. 

It's a very dramatic piece of music with long percussive sections - a larger brass line is required IMO and a full size battery and pit. So maybe 80 brass...

Find black-and-white photos of the classic uniform (stripe and shako and all). Make the uniforms to match.

I'd personally be a fan of a straight New York show, using Fancy Free and On the Town. In terms of matching/respecting the original intent of the composer, On the Town was a Broadway adaptation of the original Fancy Free ballet, so should be fairly straightforward from that standpoint. And using both of those means you get one of the three best slow songs he wrote ("Lonely Town" is up there with "Somewhere" and "May Our Garden Grow," imo, even though it's somewhat more obscure).

• Like 3

Just now, DrumManTx said:

You're on the road with The Cadets this summer?  Nice!

I've been doing their photography since San Antonio! Taking over some other media responsibilities here and there as well haha

• Like 5

from Hopkins FB page - interesting:

CADETS and C2 FIRST ROUND AUDITIONS TO BE HELD AT MET LIFE STADIUM 
November 11, 12 in East Rutherford, NJ

The Cadets and C2 will hold their first round of auditions at MET LIFE Stadium, home of the Giants and the Jets.
Details are still coming into view but there will be a 
- one day option, for Sunday, November 12th 
- a weekend option for November 11-12

Some details …

- Sleep will be at a local hotel not far from the stadium
- Food will be provided 
- rehearsals will be inside stadium clubs and on the field ( weather permitting)

And everyone will leave the weekend with an evaluation, a rating , and a look into the possibility of a 2018 season with either of the Cadets Corps!

Information and registration forms will be forthcoming.
For now ..

Go here to sign up !!

http://www.jointhecadets.org/

See you soon and as we approach the DCI Championships — GO CADETS!!!

https://www.facebook.com/ghopcadet

3 minutes ago, JoshClements403 said:

I've been doing their photography since San Antonio! Taking over some other media responsibilities here and there as well haha

Very cool!  I know you were with Seattle Cascades at one point, that must be fun.  Have a fun rest of tour.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Find black-and-white photos of the classic uniform (stripe and shako and all). Make the uniforms to match.

I'd personally be a fan of a straight New York show, using Fancy Free and On the Town. In terms of matching/respecting the original intent of the composer, On the Town was a Broadway adaptation of the original Fancy Free ballet, so should be fairly straightforward from that standpoint. And using both of those means you get one of the three best slow songs he wrote ("Lonely Town" is up there with "Somewhere" and "May Our Garden Grow," imo, even though it's somewhat more obscure).

Why not take a page out of the Angels and Demons book, have half the corps in all white and the other half in all black. Let the guard wear colors that change with the telling of the story.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Very cool!  I know you were with Seattle Cascades at one point, that must be fun.  Have a fun rest of tour.  

Thank you! It's been a good summer!

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Why not take a page out of the Angels and Demons book, have half the corps in all white and the other half in all black. Let the guard wear colors that change with the telling of the story.

yup. Anyway - I do love the OTWF idea.