Cadets 2017

13 hours ago, cadet93 said:

Definitely weird changes from last night with some of the same judges....hmmm they can't win for losing this year.  One step forward, two back.

I wish I could say I think the brass are being underscored, but honestly, they aren't.  Percussion I can't speak to.

remember the judging philosophy is show of the day. so what happened yesterday shouldnt have any bearing on what happens today. if anything, from following Hops social media statements, it's a consistency thing with the kids more than anything. performance order may have somewhat of an effect, but judges arent bound to use yesterdays numbers to get to todays results.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I'll take the under since I posted a 1,000 by Wednesday.

The one thing Cadets win Gold at 953 pages so far. By a mile. The Silver is Boston at 422 and Bronze is Crown at 308. Unfortunately (or not) BD is at 205. And rounding out the top 5 is Blooo at 176. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Those situations aren't that similar YET

Cadets are a large organization which just rented out Met Life Stadium for auditions 

27th was run off a kitchen table 

i guess we will know more by next Saturday. Last night they seemed like a lock for 7th or possibly sixth

tonights score looks like 7th is risky and a corps behind them could drop them to 8th or 9th

If the corps places 7th that's concerning

if the corps drops below that personally I think all alarms go off and there would be changes bigger than staff to the director and coordinator level

I'm not sure a director survives this regardless 

Perhaps a Hopkins type could survive as CEO of YEA but I would question the ability to survive as a director of the corps and in any sort of design capacity 

JMO as nothing but an outsider

based on my experience in business and organizations

in 2017 people want results and there is little patience frankly, just the nature of now. There's an inherent willingness to "try something else" if diminishing returns continue very long 

if he stayed as YEA CEO, I'm not sure who could last under him just running the Cadets. George is too hands on controlling of a personality to let go.

I expect some more staff leaving though

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

Why did Cadets stop knowing how to finish a season?  That used to be the thing for Cadets. Come out dirty because the show is ambitious as all get out, then clean up the last few weeks and pass teams left and right.  

2009 - Beat Crown last show before Prelims.  Lost to Crown all Finals Week

2010 - Beat Crown last show before Prelims.  Lost to Crown all Finals Week

2011 - That worked!

2012 - Beat Phantom last show before Prelims.  Lost to Phantom all Finals Week

2013 - Beat Crown last show before Prelims.  Lost to Crown all Finals Week

2014 - Dropped a spot to Bluecoats Finals Night

2015 - Dropped 2 spots Semi-Finals night (stayed the same Finals).

2016 - Dropped a spot to Cavaliers Semi-Finals night (stayed the same Finals).

2017 - :52_fearful:

15 IMO was on track til the uniform change. that show was all about speed, and the black hid that. Their drop can be seen tracking the scores from the night the uniforms debuted. 

but really when you keep adding. adding, adding, changing, changing, changing....you run out of time to clean. Sure 15 years ago it Cadets, BD and Cavies then mostly everyone else...well everyone else has gotten a lot better! Crown and Bloo, SCV usually in the mix but this year moreso...Cavies amking a comeback now, plus Boston charging up, and 8-10 no slouches either. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Tell that to Philly. 

their GM seems to have a better track record recently

2 hours ago, rmm155 said:

Board of Directors

Michael Kehoss, Minneapolis, MN | Chairman
David Satterfield, Morgantown, WV | Vice Chairman
Tim Smith, Pittsburgh, PA | Treasurer
Brian Setzer, Nashville, TN | Secretary
Dirk Bernold, Rochester, NY
Michael Chernow, Manalapan, NJ

Dr. Edward DiCarlo, New York, NY
Roger Floreska, Baldwin, NY
Howard Hoffman, Kendall Park, NJ
Dr. Ray King, Augusta, GA
Abbie Lampe, Orlando, FL
Donald Staffin, Bridgewater, NJ

hey i didnt know Jakey was on the board....cool!!

2 hours ago, msmoyercdcg said:

I agree. But they've made some changes in the last few days that I wish they hadn't. I wish they'd trust the process for real instead of just talking about it AND CLEAN!

I agree! Those diagonal lines behind the pews in the beginning of the show and the next 16 maybe 24 counts are just not cadet razor clean. How can they not see that? It's where my eyes go every show and it has yet to be perfect.  Come on Cadets--dig deep and make it happen.

Fan of the Arts

2 hours ago, ndrudy2013 said:

This show is better live but it really lacks excitement until the very end, they need to build some kind of excitement to draw the crowd in before the ending. Also, you kinda forget about the Cadets after you see the corps in front of them, especially the top 4 and then you realize how far Cadets are behind them. It's kind of sad to see, but it's the reality of the state of the Cadets today. I hope they can change it around sooner than later, see you in Indy. 

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

Many point out how corps such as Crown, and now Boston, resemble the Cadets of the past. Alums, and other influential people, have done something... gone elsewhere. It sounds like there is a brick ceiling at the GH Cadets that only allows others limited influence over the product. Resisting change comes with pain... GH is resisting the inevitable, and pain is being felt across the extended family. Fortunately, it sounds like the current MMs are the most isolated from feeling it. 

I have seen the show a half dozen times now from the box and from percussion fan level as well as in between. The kids are definitely working the hardest although it seems that some lack focus for that long. It was never politically correct to ask in previous seasons who had ADD or were in specialized one on one classes. Today it is a necessity given the multi-layering of demand required of the performer and for the safety of other performers. Who can stay focused and on spot for the longest especially as shows have now been increased in timing as well (from first sight by the audience and judge to last sight by audience and judge, not just when Tony DiCarlo flips his wings)??? 

The sad measure of reality is the recaps of the COMBINED Allentown score sheets which John Donovan posted here on DCP.

It's not the GE which is sagging (no that is rating 5th or so.). It is the music scores and subcaptions which are the downfall. NINTH and sevenths in totals, and the culprits are both content/rep. and performance/achievement issues. [Guard scores are most subjective of all so I don't worry about that judging, not until we get two judges for Guard at Regionals and Championships.] But the music scores (both brass and percussion) reveal the lacking of proper training in the winter, the development of teaching over the season, and the type of preparation in the lot. Some might erroneously put it all at the feet of young Michael Terry who's going to hit thirty at his next birthday. He had little (no pun intended) effect on percussion scores. But where are the phenomenal techs hired to replace those who went to Boston?  Drew and Tom Aungst have been around the track a few times; did we get the best replacements?  Why wasn't this preparation better?  

Chip Crotts now handling SCV brass could just as easily have been landed at Cadets if the corps was still a priority at YEA not just what we do during the months that aren't band season. John Bilby has done wonders with pulling the marching program up in his few weeks here; Bobby Jones wrote a fine drill that is quite doable to the music. But the extended training and growth of the music lines haven't met the task while the corps takes extra break days at the beach in Daytona. It is an oddly written tour schedule without extended times for practice. Sure once upon a time the Cadets did as many as 41 shows in one season but never with a rookie filled line. I don't fault the kids. It's always the adults who are the problem. End of Rant.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

15 IMO was on track til the uniform change. that show was all about speed, and the black hid that. Their drop can be seen tracking the scores from the night the uniforms debuted. 

but really when you keep adding. adding, adding, changing, changing, changing....you run out of time to clean. Sure 15 years ago it Cadets, BD and Cavies then mostly everyone else...well everyone else has gotten a lot better! Crown and Bloo, SCV usually in the mix but this year moreso...Cavies amking a comeback now, plus Boston charging up, and 8-10 no slouches either. 

Adding is one thing, changing is another. Almost every corps adds to their show, but the essential bones of the design remain.

The fundamentals of what makes a "good" show seem to be the issue here. I get that alums want they traditions maintained, just as Cavaliers, Madison and other corps do. To me it has almost nothing to do with what color the uniforms are. It's what the arc of the show needs to be. We have maybe the widest variety of shows ever fielded in world class this year, and the top six will each be fundamentally unique. But all six are fundamentally great shows.

Great shows are more than a sum of their parts. I dare say there isn't a corps out there who could medal with the three cadets show concepts.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1