Cadets 2017

4 hours ago, candymancan said:

I know mamy of the current mm's and their mental health and stamina is just fine.  The laundry block this evening is to make up for the one they didn't get last week (and it will be a nice small break for them).  Those kids are loving their lives and the show this season.  They are somewhat frustrated and confused (as are many) as to why they aren't scoring higher.  (And no, before someone attacks me for this, they know the shouldn't be much higher).  Nonetheless, this is the closest the Cadets have been as a whole in quite some time and they are loving their time together and even more so, loving this show.  They read the hatred that is thrown on these forums and they don't understand it, but they truly believe in what they are doing and believe in themselves and the show.  It's truly heartwarming.  GO CADETS!!

it's interesting

when I've been at a rehearsal I've never felt such a positive vibe

and then I come here and watch the scores and I get sucked into the negativity

it is quite the disconnect 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it's interesting

when I've been at a rehearsal I've never felt such a positive vibe

and then I come here and watch the scores and I get sucked into the negativity

it is quite the disconnect 

Ah, that is the conundrum.

The facts point to a day off in Disney followed by a day at the beach at Daytona followed by laundry break. The result, not an invigorated corps but one more tired. That week the loss to a corps that hadn't beaten the Cadets in just about forty years. Yes, that BAC corps is well staffed, well trained, well motivated. Ours was still recovering from swimming in ocean salt water, something it takes two days for the best of mms to return to competitive form. None of this is said to take away from the great season Boston is having but to point to poor planning by the Cadets' staff. Boston, Cavaliers, and Blue Knights, all corps in the competitive cohort Cadets seek at least to maintain and hopefully progress, all three corps are practicing all day today and tonight. If the Cadets mms are too young, tired, and need to be tucked in early, then the story they are read at bedside better be about  reality not fantasy. They need to work their tales off the next few days to maintain where they are. The others are quite hungry. 

14 hours ago, 20XXMM said:

Jeez you people need to relax. The Cadets are doing fine. It's like a staff exodus wouldn't lead to some changes in placements, time doesn't regress, it moves forward(right?) so let's stop talking about past events and look forward to what could happen this week. They may drop a placement OR stay/move up. Who knows,who cares. It's not about the scores or placement, It's about how much the member's experience and perfecting what was given to them for the large crowds they perform for. I'm just astonished how much variety there is in everyone's show this year and the ridiculous talent.

Uhh yeah. I'm not going to relax. I'm happy that many people are happy with where the Cadets stand right now. But I am not, and will never be. My standards for Cadets have always been high and Cadets have had high standards themselves. If you all are happy with them getting beat all over the place and producing shows that don't garner half the same reaction as the top corps (notice I'm saying top corps and Cadets are not included in that statement surprisingly), then that's fine. But I'm not. I will not be happy until they come out smoking, drive the crowd nuts, and produce competitive shows that at least have a chance of coming from behind, like they have in the past. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Uhh yeah. I'm not going to relax. I'm happy that many people are happy with where the Cadets stand right now. But I am not, and will never be. My standards for Cadets have always been high and Cadets have had high standards themselves. If you all are happy with them getting beat all over the place and producing shows that don't garner half the same reaction as the top corps (notice I'm saying top corps and Cadets are not included in that statement surprisingly), then that's fine. But I'm not. I will not be happy until they come out smoking, drive the crowd nuts, and produce competitive shows that at least have a chance of coming from behind, like they have in the past. 

Unfortunately , unless organizational changes are made and made soon your wait will be a very long one. I for one am tired of 4th, 6th, and possibly  7th place finish. I am glad the kids are having a ball and enjoying what they have  worked so hard for but someone one has to have the guts to say "You're fired and thanks for the past decades success but time for you to leave, get out... and then change the locks. 2 more years of Bernstein will not guarantee a medal. Being innovative, imaginative, on the cusp of starting a whole new revival just might. I do not know Hop except for the few times we have spoken. I decided decades ago I could never work with or for him. Sorry to say my intuition was correct. Imagine if the Cadets staff was still composed of people that moved on to the bluecoats, blue devils, crown, the list is endless.

• Like 3

I am very happy for the members that they love their show, and are excited about performing it.  They should definitely be excited about the chance to perform each night and do their best.  That is what it is about for them.

The criticisms on here are not directed towards the MMs, but the management of the corps and design team.

Those areas are failing right now.  Most of us would not criticize if we didn't care.

There seems to be some Hopkinstown Cool-AId drinking going on.  

• Like 5

As a leader you always IDS the situation...this is identify Discuss Solution...to do this ask 3 questions...what should we stop doing, what should we start doing, and what should we keep doing. All answers are acceptable...the topics with the most responses are the ones addressed...and that process continues. This is not a negative process...it just is what it is. It's Agile leadership. 

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

As a leader you always IDS the situation...this is identify Discuss Solution...to do this ask 3 questions...what should we stop doing, what should we start doing, and what should we keep doing. All answers are acceptable...the topics with the most responses are the ones addressed...and that process continues. 

1.  Why has essentially the entire staff left in the past two years?

2. Why are there so many Cadets alumni teaching the top corps, and pretty much none teaching the Cadets themselves? (yes, Drew and Tom, but I mean visual)

3. Why is the Director also the program coordinator?

4. Why is a former Drum Major, Board Member, large financial supporter of the corps for decades now on the BAC board?

Lets start there LOL

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 3

So it seems to me that perhaps discussion of board issues/management issues should be held in a different forum. Not to be too literal, but Cadets 2017 should be about the show and what is happening this season.  As a long-time fan and donar, I feel like we should celebrate/enjoy/critique each season while it is happening and then undertake a "lessons learned" at the end.  The kids this year love the show (apparently), so let them.  And leave the needless intrigue for another space.  

So, most important on my list of show issues, are they planning to cut the absolutely insipid and totallly NON present in the original "can I get an amen".  This show needs less, not more.  And if you are going to be true to the Bernstein estate,  then I would think it best to NOT add text where it was not in the original.  

Just one fan's opinion.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

1.  Why has essentially the entire staff left in the past two years?

2. Why are there so many Cadets alumni teaching the top corps, and pretty much none teaching the Cadets themselves? (yes, Drew and Tom, but I mean visual)

3. Why is the Director also the program coordinator?

4. Why is a former Drum Major, Board Member, large financial supporter of the corps for decades now on the BAC board?

Lets start there LOL

All questions are welcomed and discussed. Then we solution from there. All have equal voice...its called servant leadership. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

All questions are welcomed and discussed. Then we solution from there. All have equal voice...its called servant leadership. 

Example? Steve Jobs...we don't hire good people to tell them what to do...we hire good people for them to tell us what to do. We work for them. Another example of servant leadership...The Concord Blue Devils. Command and control leadership is dead...and those who do not adopt are dying...and I'm speaking from a business stand point...last I looked, drum corps is a non profit business...the concepts directly apply. Things have changed...adapt or move aside. That's business, and high functioning organizations. Would you rather tell an employee how to walk around a chair, or would you rather just move the chair from their path and allow them to do the job hired for?...servant leadership. As an employee, would you rather work in an organization that told you how to walk around a chair or one who just removed that obstacle from you and allowed you to do the job you are there to do...

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 3