Cadets 2017

What I am saying is, and if I know what has been a standing philosophy in Cadets.  Yeah its nice to win, but its better to know you put the upmost effort and did the best you can do with the product you are given. Cadets are down because there are 6 corps that are executing, design and just taking it, You can not control what another corps does. Be the best you can be with the given product.

Things have changed in DCI over the last few years. For better or worse. I am an old school guy, but will say that this year BD and SCV are ones for the ages. Times change. I am a FMM of Cadets, but grew up a BD and SCV madman. 84 Cadets are m favorite show, but 1985 SCV and 86 Blue devils ....................wow.  Seems silly but what made me march Cadets was in 1985, at an encore in West Chester, SCV did an encore standstill. Got in an arc, I wen down to the sidelines, had a recorder, they blew me away in a way no  other corps has ever done. Kudos to ALL that do this activity

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

2 hours out of a 24 hour day to do laundry. You people need to give it a break. 2 hours will not make a difference. If anything, having clean clothes etc in mindset for the MM makes a difference. 

In my day we did 15 hour days, when we got to do laundry, a day at Seaside, or Disney, did more for morale . Hell we got a day off after a 20 hour session in Morgantown, back then the middle of butt f nowhere. Did laundry to walk 2 miles to the Laundromat.Then a 2 mile walk back, Trust me in the middle of nowhere. Ironically, us walking to the Laundromat we passed a creek. We had the night off. WE went back to the creek in the middle of nowhere and had a great time swimming etc. Made us a stronger corps if you can believe it. Sometimes downtime makes a corps closer. IT worked for us in 86.

The physical nature of the activity is different.  Compare the range of movement now vs. 20-30 years ago.  I watch the Bluecoats tuba line and wonder how any of those guys will have hips left at the end of the season, or shins from running down that ramp.  A college sports season is not that much different from a drum corps season, and look at the difference in the amount of practice time.  Now it's impossible to put a drum corps show on the field with only 2-3 hours of practice a day, but even so, overuse injuries are a big deal here.  The corps are going to have to figure out how to outsmart the physical limitations.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Icer said:

The physical nature of the activity is different.  Compare the range of movement now vs. 20-30 years ago.  I watch the Bluecoats tuba line and wonder how any of those guys will have hips left at the end of the season, or shins from running down that ramp.  A college sports season is not that much different from a drum corps season, and look at the difference in the amount of practice time.  Now it's impossible to put a drum corps show on the field with only 2-3 hours of practice a day, but even so, overuse injuries are a big deal here.  The corps are going to have to figure out how to outsmart the physical limitations.

I am not whatsoever disputing that. For sure it is a different environment. I even at my prime could not do what these corps are doing. But that was the 80's.  You bring up a good point, at what extent do you push the physical. The demand may come to a point that physically it may hurt.

I re watched 2016 Bluecoats today. I guess I never really noticed but it caught my eye.  And I have watched it numerous times. But the snares sliding down thewhatever it is................ dangerous.

I am all for pushing limits, whether I like it or not.

Not to disagree, playing college football is a hole lot different than marching DCI. If that is what you are referencing. it is not in the ballpark regarding physical.

Guess what I am saying is it is a sport, yes sport, that people have a passion for, and will do what they can do to be the best they can be at what they want to excel. Ill will leave it at, BE the best you can do, put it on the table, if you give your best, nobody can take that away from you. Scores..................................................................................................................... who cares

Edited by oldcadetsop
  • Like 1

Personally, when I marched or attended  a show, never gave a flip about scores, and marching on Saturday was cool, but it wasn't the justification of a successful journey. What 11 people think vs 20,000 yelling their butt off...honestly, the crowd was cool...but I didn't bust my butt for the crowd and especially the judges. I did it for myself. Regardless had we placed 1st or 40th...I learned, I grew, and I am a better person because of it. I'm not saying participation trophy at all..I'm saying do your best and all else...whatever. Do your absolute best...thrive to kick everyone's butt... always...feel accomplished in what you did if you did all the above...those are the life lessons to be had. My worth is not equivalent to a score. A score won't land me a job or teach me values. An attitude of relentless pursuit of perfection will. 

• Like 7

On 8/8/2017 at 8:15 PM, oldcadetsop said:

Let me preface, I am a FMM under GH. I have had business dealings with him after marching.  I marched in the 80's and subsequently , ironically, did business with Cadets and Mr. Hopkins.

That said, I learned ALOT by my time with the Cadets, and Mr. Hopkins. Shaped me as a person and for what I am now. Our Alum may be the tightest among the corps out there right now. Do I like the path right now, no.  Do I think, despite my  regard for Mr. Hopkins things need to change yes.  But I will say one thing, the current marching members are proud of their accomplishments this year. Young, talented and living a life experience they will never forget.

I get the placement, scores etc. From a fan perspective I can see the angst. These guys and gals are working their tails off. In this game, you do not control what another corps does. If they are better , so be it. I is not football where you go toe to toe with your rival. You control what you do and strive to be the best YOU can be. IF you do the best you can, you are a winner, 1st or 21st. Nobody can take that away from you.

I have upmost respect for the MM of Cadets as they have had an incredible season.

I think a change is needed tho.  The activity has changed, for better or worse. I do think it is time for Mr. Hopkins to step down. Tom is a worthy candidate to take over the reigns as director, BUT not under Mr. Hopkins. It has been a fun filled ride. But times need to change.

FHNSAB

This.  

ZAG!

FHNSAB.  

On 8/8/2017 at 8:33 PM, MikeRapp said:

Barring an historic drop again next year, which I highly doubt, I think Hopkins will be running Cadets for the next decade. Very clear the leadership at Cadets is not willing to make a change for whatever reasons, the very least of which is likely the dci placements. People like Hopkins fundamentally know one thing, and that is how to survive. Unless someone on the board demands a change, or else, get used to the current situation.

For a corps that was a leader before DCI, and an innovator without peer after DCIs formation, any tepid resignation or acceptance of the status quo or continuing excuses for mediocrity and mismanagement I find to be so pathetic, so uncharacteristic of who the Cadets always were, I simply have no words. 

What Cadets DO is like create, innovate, and embrace change. 

• Like 3

I have read a lot of the comments here from very disappointed people who want to see change at the Cadets, but no one has laid out what type of change they want to see other than see GH resign. What show concept or design do you sincerely want??? I think if the expectation is to win every year, then it could be an unfulfilled one. Change of the one many on this thread are suggesting will not immediately help the Cadets if the change is even warranted. I don't know enough about the entire situation to say more, but I'm not sure how GH resigning would fix all of the problems with the Cadets.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Just Here said:

I have read a lot of the comments here from very disappointed people who want to see change at the Cadets, but no one has laid out what type of change they want to see other than see GH resign. What show concept or design do you sincerely want??? I think if the expectation is to win every year, then it could be an unfulfilled one. Change of the one many on this thread are suggesting will not immediately help the Cadets if the change is even warranted. I don't know enough about the entire situation to say more, but I'm not sure how GH resigning would fix all of the problems with the Cadets.

I mean with the upmost respect To Mr, Hopkins. Personally when I see him, I call him George, But with respect he is MR. Hopkins. He taught me a lot. I don't pull punches. I call it as I see it, right or wrong.

Remember a few things, Mr, Hopkins has made a corps from 82 to the current day. How many people here can say they have run a successful business/company etc for 30+ years. Times change. Thre creative staff is there, Members are there. I truly believe Mr. Hopkins runs the business (which he is extremely good at) well, But as for the creativity. leave it to the current  talented staff. It is a slippery slope. I know people that have worked for YEA. Mr, Hopkins is tuff, That aint gonna change.  Mr. Hopkins has done beautiful work. Let Tom take over. FHNSAB

• Like 1

One of my biggest misses from the show is the use of "God Said" at the point they do.  Starting a show that is about to beat you over the head with crosses (without any other moments of criticism/humor) should not begin with the key line "Godd @&# good!"   I had hoped they would have played with speakers and use of the field a la Bluecoats to capture the actual beginning of the original work.  Something thwy could have used throughout as well.  Oh, there is more.  But those are the ones that occur to me based on the discussion earlier in the thread.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Just Here said:

They should hire a full-time dedicated program coordinator, and construct a show that is entertaining and has a broad appeal. Put concept first and music second-- Hopkins is still in the "Music in Motion" paradigm (which Cadets created in the 80s), where you find source music and construct a visual program that conveys its mood.

They should fire their drill writer and get a better one; I think their drill is incredibly generic and medicore this year, battery staged poorly, muddy and muddled forms. 

Create a simple, but good-looking costiform that conveys athleticism, speed and power--the Cadets trademarks. I wouldn't mind something somewhat like the last suit this year, but with more definition around the waist. I mean, this was the corps with the flying soprano logo, right? I don't think it should be all run and gun, but they should pick their battles and have a couple of really athletic drill moves. 

I think shakos are necessary; I know ditching headgear is en vogue, but BD is doing ok... I think they should go between two modes--"in the zone," fast, precise, interesting drill, field coverage, athleticism etc., and a more "participatory" mode that emphasizes groove and audience connection. ~cough 2000 cough~ Right now there is way too much earnest acting, posing, emoting. 

OK, props are basically a Compulsory Element at this point, but-- pick one you can do, not a whole bunch that you don't know what the hell you're doing. Design a simple thing that can be moved easily by one member without being tiring. I am thinking of maybe small boxes that could be set up and then be used to elevate soloists and sections, that sort of thing. Is it innovative? No, but it works, and I think Cadets need a show that works right now.

If hypothetically Hopkins was out of the picture, the designers wouldn't have to worry about including Hop's obsession--the "special guest star" (dancer in 87, baton twirler in 04 (remember that??), singer in 06, narrators in 08 and 14, the violinist and Adonis, the choir this year). More often than not, more trouble than it's worth.

A concept and look that works and generates goodwill with fans, and a solid teaching staff, would go a long way toward stopping the competitive downturn. Then they can start building back up and taking risks.

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 1