Cadets 2017

18 hours ago, JoshClements403 said:

Thought I'd share again just so anybody who wants to see these gets a chance!

Here are all of my show photos from The Cadets this season! I joined the corps in San Antonio so all of my photos are from that show on.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2mY41x

Hi. Thank you so much for these. You captured some beautiful pics of my daughter. I created an account just to thank you for such wonderful pictures. You truly captured the beauty of the kids performances. They look like they love what they are doing. Again, thank you!  I can't wait to print these out and put them in my house. I am grateful. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

My wife and I watched the theater show last night.

Did we miss it,or did The Cadets.drop "For Holy Name,shall always be" ?

If they did,does anyone know why ?

Yes dropped it. No reaction from the crowd and it came apart a bit as pandering 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

They are above the OC.  Didn't you recently accuse a poster of whining George?  Haven't read all the posts about GH, but the ones read have a post 2016 season feel, especially after some staff departed.

No one is whining

38 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I'm totally engaged and impressed watching this Cadets production.  However, early impressions of judges and audience are very difficult to change. Cadets were already typecast as a struggling actor before the season even started.

Agreed. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

piggybacking on your "but then what do I know", it seems to me that fantasy and pop culture have become predominant in DCI such that the shows start resembling each other..particularly the openings..that's why I enjoy the Cadets and BD..If I never see a blooming flower or a waking from sleep scene again in drum corps, I'll be fine..but then again , what do I know 

I completely agree. Some of the other shows make me sleepy. Too much formula and sameness 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JoshClements403 said:

Thought I'd share again just so anybody who wants to see these gets a chance!

Here are all of my show photos from The Cadets this season! I joined the corps in San Antonio so all of my photos are from that show on.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2mY41x

Absolutely brilliant photographic work, Josh!

This is the still life beauty impossible to appreciate by a typical spectator witnessing DCI from a single seat anywhere in the stadium. Many different facets at this level of performance. All of them like fine crystal.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Agreed. 

Well, they were struggling early, and both Boston and Cavaliers were not. It seemed clear at that point where each of those three ranked relative to each other, and since then Cavaliers' guard has really progressed more than really anything else on tour from any corps.

This activity is changing and getting more complex, with more demand. And the top six corps are now doing very big, very complex, very compelling shows. All different, but each very polished. You can get a lot better and still not get ahead of the top six. No doubt Cadets have improved, and the ending is much better. But those improvements held off Blue Knights, otherwise Cadets would be sitting in eighth or even ninth now.

I really don't know how we can feel Cadets will return to medaling contention right now, if show designs continue to be what they have been, which imho are purposefully very literal and on the nose, and "music in motion" driven. There are just a lot more world class organizations that have perfected their direction and are hitting the ground running on day 1. No corps can play catch up all season long and expect to medal anymore.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

Waiting for the numbers to reward this corps- they deserve it! Not trying to diminish what the Crusaders are accomplishing, but Cadets have a show far ahead of it's time. The brass score and visual proficiency scores especially confused me last night. I majored in music education and trumpet performance and have been following the activity year round for a long time, and frankly I don't see how BAC, Cavaliers, BK, and PR outscored this hornline. But alas, these are just numbers, and what I witnessed in the theater is probably my favorite drum corps show in long time, maybe my favorite ever (I've been following since 2003). 

Congrats Cadets, keep pushing! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

and "music in motion" driven

Music in Motion is supposed to be the beating heart of DCI. I agree that one does not need a literal approach to entertain or be competitive. However, to suggest as you seem to that marching music should not be a driving force in drum corps goes a little too far.