Cadets 2017

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I assume Mass got through because George was intrigued by the obvious push back that most would have, and felt he could thread the eye of the needle with cheese. Which is what he has almost always done. Choir robes was one thing. But Half naked Jesus? Seriously? I mean just drag the mannequins back out and build a big-### stage across the front. Heck why not add some sixth grade social studies narration, too? I'm sorry but this is Cadets. This is high school level band director decision making, not world class drum corps.

Cadets do not need heavy handed show designers leading them around the field by their respective noses. Give them a great idea and let them out perform everyone. Let the chips fall. 

Yeah like writing a show that is really pseudo-deconstruction about a football field (Crown).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I find it quite amusing that Cadets and Boston are sharing a housing/rehearsal site

irony can be a ##### LOL

14 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Anyone qualified enough to run Cadets won't work for George. Or with George. No offense but everyone knows that George will never be anywhere but in the drivers seat. And splitting the organization into Cadets/Cadets2 and everything else also won't work because you can't pay the guy to run everything else what you pay Hopkins.

actually he isnt very hands on with C2

3 hours ago, kkpjm16 said:

Hop said something about it in yesterday's FB Live post...that only Cadets fans know what that refers to, and it did nothing for the judges...so they canned it. Or something to that effect...

everyone in drum corps knows what that ,means

56 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Look, I always appreciate and respect commitment to a specific execution, no matter what the art form. I am a creative director by trade, so I know what I am talking about. But if you are going to choose to use scoring as a determining factor of whether your art is achieving its goals, then I would suggest you look at what is working elsewhere and adapt.

Cadets last won the gold with Angels and Demons, which to me is a more advanced version of Boston this year. Since that show, nothing they have tried to do concept wise holds a candle to that show. They just keep daring judges to not respect how fast and loud they play...or how well they can execute purposefully obtuse or on the nose ideas. Judges aren't buying it, and neither are most fans. I would guarantee you that merch sales bare this out in glaring clarity.

Cadets used to be able to medal regardless of show design because they had more talent than almost everyone else. They certainly had more institutional educational depth than any other corps save BD. That just is not the case anymore.

This. A hundred times over. 

Current exec's idea of design almost always more closely resembles inept, crass marketing than art.

When cadets have won the current exec has had a staff around him with a design too good to hamhandedly meddle with, I'd venture to say.  Sadly that kind of situation has been exceptional (2011 seems like ancient history), and in today's reality (sub par staff, young MMs after so many staff and vet MM defections after last years management disaster) they no longer have the creative or marching talent to compete for medals. 

Wholesale change desperately needed. 

Now.

This year was the last straw, the last gasp of this new "strategy" (if that word is even appropriate), and, I hope and pray, the necessary painful nadir of the Cadets organization. 

Unfortunately in organizations like this with entrenched longtime leadership, only repeatedly falling flat on your face enables some key people to see, understand, and act in concert to create fundamental organizational change. 

With current management, Cadets will never contend again and the entire organization's sustainability is threatened.

With a new exec and a coming home of key staff and new top notch talent, Cadets WILL contend for medals next year, and annually, and educate and innovate like no one else, which is who the Cadets always were, and always shall  be.

I call all in the Cadets family to come together, stand as a house united, give new pledges of support, and own the change. 

I'm so ready to stop pointing fingers and finally be able to roll up my sleeves to help  rebuild, but I will do nothing under the current management. 

"We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we will save our [Cadets]"

FHNSAB

58 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Hopkins tends to think "costumes" and "voice" are the waves of the future. I personally disagree.

To coin a descriptor that is popular on DCP, voice is a dinosaur sinking in the tar pits. It has failed miserably in most cases.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wallace said:

To coin a descriptor that is popular on DCP, voice is a dinosaur sinking in the tar pits. It has failed miserably in most cases.

And the irony is, Cadets have roundly proven it.

Wasn't sure to mention or not but....

this has nothing to do with the amazing performers on the field but...

okay here it is.

not a practicing Catholic, in fact far from it, but this show design is incredibly disrespectful to Christianity. In fact to the point of being offensive. Not to mention the waaaaay overdesign. People in the crowd around me did not stand. Another lady behind me was in shock when the Jesus character came on to the field. Another sat shaking her head. Don't get me started with all the dancing crosses and bibles.

this show is way overdesigned and tasteless. I'm sorry. Nothing against the talented hardworking members.

beautiful music from an amazing composer that was simply way over designed, sometimes less is more. 

Strsngely enough though, I do find it better then last years show lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Effect is absolutely the way dci is going. Blame the corps directors because they went whole hog into the whole dramatic arts/guard direction. Hand motions, bug squishes and scatter drills now very obviously bear more "difficulty" scoring as music in motion.

I would kill for some music in motion right now. I'm kinda tired of the whole form-scatter-form-scatter stuff. This is the first year that I have not been excited to see the Finals competition. I haven't even watched it. I'm not really drawn to it anymore. 

24 minutes ago, 87cadet said:

This. A hundred times over. 

Current exec's idea of design almost always more closely resembles inept, crass marketing than art.

When cadets have won the current exec has had a staff around him with a design too good to hamhandedly meddle with, I'd venture to say.  Sadly that kind of situation has been exceptional (2011 seems like ancient history), and in today's reality (sub par staff, young MMs after so many staff and vet MM defections after last years management disaster) they no longer have the creative or marching talent to compete for medals. 

Wholesale change desperately needed. 

Now.

This year was the last straw, the last gasp of this new "strategy" (if that word is even appropriate), and, I hope and pray, the necessary painful nadir of the Cadets organization. 

Unfortunately in organizations like this with entrenched longtime leadership, only repeatedly falling flat on your face enables some key people to see, understand, and act in concert to create fundamental organizational change. 

With current management, Cadets will never contend again and the entire organization's sustainability is threatened.

With a new exec and a coming home of key staff and new top notch talent, Cadets WILL contend for medals next year, and annually, and educate and innovate like no one else, which is who the Cadets always were, and always shall  be.

I call all in the Cadets family to come together, stand as a house united, give new pledges of support, and own the change. 

I'm so ready to stop pointing fingers and finally be able to roll up my sleeves to help  rebuild, but I will do nothing under the current management. 

"We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we will save our [Cadets]"

FHNSAB

You know, we can sit here and complain and call for GH's resignation all we want, but the truth is, if they come out smoking next year (which is highly unlikely in my opinion), all those calls will dissipate. I'm not sure with whom he'd be replaced with, other than Tom Aungst, which is what someone else on here suggested, but I don't really see that happening anytime soon. I really think Cadets need to let the music be the foundation and leave the gimmicks alone for awhile. No more singers, tarps, stones, naked Jesus figures, Americana, stages, etc. Hell, do a show based on the French revolutionary war or something powerful, and not pandering. Honestly, I see my fandom for Cadets falling off within the next few years, and that's really sad for me because I've always worshipped Cadets. Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

I would kill for some music in motion right now. I'm kinda tired of the whole form-scatter-form-scatter stuff. This is the first year that I have not been excited to see the Finals competition. I haven't even watched it. I'm not really drawn to it anymore. 

You know, we can sit here and complain and call for GH's resignation all we want, but the truth is, if they come out smoking next year (which is highly unlikely in my opinion), all those calls will dissipate. I'm not sure with whom he'd be replaced with, other than Tom Aungst, which is what someone else on here suggested, but I don't really see that happening anytime soon. I really think Cadets need to let the music be the foundation and leave the gimmicks alone for awhile. No more singers, tarps, stones, naked Jesus figures, Americana, stages, etc. Hell, do a show based on the French revolutionary war or something powerful, and not pandering. Honestly, I see my fandom for Cadets falling off within the next few years, and that's really sad for me because I've always worshipped Cadets. Time will tell. 

If the only thing that would get George replaced is the latest show performance, then guess what, get used to having George around for another decade. Because I've worked with plenty of George's in my lifetime and their only real skill is survival. 

Personally, I have been less active in and around cadets this year than any since ive followed them, because I simply am tired if the predictable angst and trumped up controversy. I'm really over Cadets now, and that sucks. If Cadets alums and backers are ultimately okay with the high school drama that has become their organization then that's their right. But I'm over it.