Cadets 2017

Well I appreciate this forum more now:  I feel like a youngster!  My first live show was 1988 (and it was an amazing lineup that included Madison, SCV, Phantom, Cavaliers and Spirit).  But, I know the importance of history, so I bought and watched/listened to the entire Legacy Collection DVD and CD collection.  You have to know where you've been to know where you are going.  And some things like the great hornlines at Argonne Rebels, or the Tiger of San Pedro year or the Colts old riverboat gambler uniforms are just gems that must be witnessed and remembered!    And to tie it back to this thread, by watching the stuff that came before the Cadets took over in the '80s helps explain why they were as unique and different as they were.  

3 hours ago, candymancan said:

Wrong.......he was representing being late to Mass.......I just don't understand ho people didn't get that.

But if you're late for mass you often are forced to sit in the dreaded first row. This guy slid into the back pew. They're always filled up by the time mass starts. They should have made him slink up to the front haha. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

But if you're late for mass you often are forced to sit in the dreaded first row. This guy slid into the back pew. They're always filled up by the time mass starts. They should have made him slink up to the front haha. 

He barely got to the formation in time before they started moving!  LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Riversiders had a heck of a good corps in the GSC. I competed in that circuit in 68/69, and they were excellent, esp in 68.They did fade fast after that season, as many GSC corps used to do.

Heh... my older brothers' first two corps, both in the GSC, both had their last season on the field when my brothers were there.  LOL.

Raiders of 88, Highland Park, NJ... 1967. (Their only year on the field before disbanding. Why they broke up is a story for another day. Not the usual "we ran out of money" situation.)

And Little Falls Cadets, Little Falls, NJ... 1968.

The Raiders of 88 in particular... all the "what if" scenarios if they had kept going. They had a good amount of talent for a local corps... many members went on to bigger and better things with junior and senior corps... and Tom Swan as the brass instructor. He had a great track record when it came to helping startup/neighborhood corps move up the competitive ladder.... Bridgemen, Saints, and later Black Watch (NJ), among others. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... my older brothers' first two corps, both in the GSC, both had their last season on the field when my brothers were there.  LOL.

Raiders of 88, Highland Park, NJ... 1967. (Their only year on the field before disbanding. Why they broke up is a story for another day. Not the usual "we ran out of money" situation.)

And Little Falls Cadets, Little Falls, NJ... 1968.

The Raiders of 88 in particular... all the "what if" scenarios if they had kept going. They had a good amount of talent for a local corps... many members went on to bigger and better things with junior and senior corps... and Tom Swan as the brass instructor. He had a great track record when it came to helping startup/neighborhood corps move up the competitive ladder.... Bridgemen, Saints, and later Black Watch (NJ), among others. 

Little Falls folding in 68 led to their guard becoming the first girls in the Garfield Cadets in 69. 

Having Bucky Swan as brass instructor was nothing unique...I think he taught EVERY GSC corps at one time or the other...often simultaneously. He taught the GSC corps I marched with in 68/69 and taught in 76, the Livingston Imperial Guardsmen. He a real unique ability to take a young inexperienced hornlinie and make them sound better than they should.

12 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Little Falls folding in 68 led to their guard becoming the first girls in the Garfield Cadets in 69. 

Having Bucky Swan as brass instructor was nothing unique...I think he taught EVERY GSC corps at one time or the other...often simultaneously. He taught the GSC corps I marched with in 68/69 and taught in 76, the Livingston Imperial Guardsmen. He a real unique ability to take a young inexperienced hornlinie and make them sound better than they should.

I hear ya... I wondered at times if there were several Tom Swan clones.  LOL. He was everywhere!!!

Helped build the Bridgemen into a national force... took the Saints from a neighborhood corps to a solid regional one with a great horn line... and helped take Black Watch from a middling Eastern States corps to a DCI Class A champion. Not too bad!!! 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear ya... I wondered at times if there were several Tom Swan clones.  LOL. He was everywhere!!!

Helped build the Bridgemen into a national force... took the Saints from a neighborhood corps to a solid regional one with a great horn line... and helped take Black Watch from a middling Eastern States corps to a DCI Class A champion. Not too bad!!! 

He was the one responsible for the Bridgemen triple-tonguing features. I think his often-co-instructor Gus Wilkie may have worked with St Andrews with him.

• Like 1

This is my post=Communion after Mass thanksgiving for the members and tour volunteers who did such a great job with the program they were given and never ceased to grow. I particularly appreciated the growth of the visual program, the artistry of the choir, and the many nuances members and faculty added to respect and make readable and accessible the Church tradition and liturgy within a drum corps show about Bernstein's interpretation.

Through the kindness of several friends acknowledging my mom's recent death , I was able to see Prelims, Semis, and Finals seated exactly at the 50 in the upper deck where nothing could be missed. The sincerity and effort communicated "to the box" rung loud and clear. Thank you for a wonderful season.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, xandandl said:

This is my post=Communion after Mass thanksgiving for the members and tour volunteers who did such a great job with the program they were given and never ceased to grow. I particularly appreciated the growth of the visual program, the artistry of the choir, and the many nuances members and faculty added to respect and make readable and accessible the Church tradition and liturgy within a drum corps show about Bernstein's interpretation.

Through the kindness of several friends acknowledging my mom's recent death , I was able to see Prelims, Semis, and Finals seated exactly at the 50 in the upper deck where nothing could be missed. The sincerity and effort communicated "to the box" rung loud and clear. Thank you for a wonderful season.

Glad you enjoyed the show & were able to enjoy the championships from such a great vantage point

Members did a terrific job - they really matured as performers and a corps as the season progressed - bodes well for the future!

Hope you're doing good,

G.