Cadets 2017

7 hours ago, Jagula said:

I agree, I think my biggest gripe with the show design at this point is that there seems to be a lot more "telling" happening in regards to story/plot/arc than there is "showing." I personally feel like they should cut down the narration a bit and try to make more of the drama happen on the field. I think this would help their GE and also make the show run a lot more smoothly. Right now it feels to me like the narration kind of chunks up the show a little unnaturally and breaks the pacing/flow a bit too much for my liking, so if they could better integrate the narration into the show and make the visuals tell a greater portion of the story I think they'd have a much more effective design. 

It's from the original piece and perhaps an overreaction to all the feedback they got last year from judges not getting what was going on. Good thing is it is easier to lift some of that out easily 

4 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Seems I was in the minority on this one.......we'll see.  I'm attributing it to my personal taste.  

Everyone gets to have their own take lol. I want the show to lose some of the narration, keep that quieter and briefer. It's in the original so I know why it is there but it's just not necessary 

what else did you think? We have to remind ourselves it's June!

At this stage, this is my least favorite Cadets' show I can remember.  Just not doing anything for me... almost the opposite.  I hope that changes as the season progresses, but right now it's just sad face emojis for me.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyt said:

At this stage, this is my least favorite Cadets' show I can remember.  Just not doing anything for me... almost the opposite.  I hope that changes as the season progresses, but right now it's just sad face emojis for me.

They are doing (visually) what I said that corps wouldn't do... They are chasing others in their design.  They desperately needed to come up with something more uniquely clever (with respect to their appearance).

They really needed to give the people some RED MEAT... but this is catering to the artsy-fartsy ideal of excellence.  I love the Bernstein source, but if the goal was to be more clear, coming off of last year... then "West Side Story" would have been the better variety of Bernstein for this year.

I agree that they should dump large sections of the narration (in spite of it's source legitimacy).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I loved the Ventures

i miss the Ventures!

I loved the Ventures too. Then I saw Les Chatelaines.   Ooo la laah! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

They are doing (visually) what I said that corps wouldn't do... They are chasing others in their design.  They desperately needed to come up with something more uniquely clever (with respect to their appearance).

They really needed to give the people some RED MEAT... but this is catering to the artsy-fartsy ideal of excellence.  I love the Bernstein source, but if the goal was to be more clear, coming off of last year... then "West Side Story" would have been the better variety of Bernstein for this year.

I agree that they should dump large sections of the narration (in spite of it's source legitimacy).

Disagree on the visual aspect completely. Who are they chasing exactly with three full costume changes, the crazy visual staging and the very fresh guard stuff? 

If they are guilty of chasing it would be on the electronics side of things and Coats with the pit set up - but both came straight out of indoor so we all "borrow"

agree on the narration 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

Disagree on the visual aspect completely. Who are they chasing exactly with three full costume changes, the crazy visual staging and the very guard stuff? 

If they are guilty of chasing it would be on the electronics side of things and Coats with the pit set up - but both came straight out of indoor so we all "borrow"

agree on the narration 

Sure, but even if the fad is originating in the Indoor arena... it's still chasing.  If it's not chasing the style of the indoor scene, then it is certainly chasing the accused forerunners of chasing the indoor scene.  I'm not about to pick apart the costumes and the changes to bolster my point.  They just kinda followed something that they didn't have to.  I firmly believe that they can win in their classic uniforms.  The uniforms are not and never have been a problem until they were made a problem (IMO).

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FTNK said:

Concerns about the costumes. I don't think they'll ever get them to look well fitted/"clean" because of the 3 different layers. Sometimes it's hard to fit the corps in 1 uniform, especially as people lose weight, let alone 3.

You have not met or know the Cadets sewing crew. I'll just say your way off on the care and fitting of the costumes.  Costumes are not what Cadets are worrying about right now.  But you go right ahead.  I'll say Linda and her crew have done a fabulous job with the costumes considering how many changes the Cadets do.  I look forward to seeing this show grow because it will ladies and gentlemen.  Now....."let us pray".

Fan of the Arts