Cadets 2017

Just now, Eleran said:

Nah - he lacks belief as well.  We've both Fallen, and we won't get up.

well, having been to Lynn the city of sin, the way he came out might not be the way he went in.:lle:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, whitedawn said:

I'm really trying with this show but something about it just feels off.

it's so dirty and yes, lots of little things seem off - I'm thinking a couple weeks now of rehearsal and it will feel more locked in and "Steady" for lack of a better word. The potential is there.

19 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it's so dirty and yes, lots of little things seem off - I'm thinking a couple weeks now of rehearsal and it will feel more locked in and "Steady" for lack of a better word. The potential is there.

Nah, I think it's because to me the show doesn't feel "Mass-like." It feels like a religious show that misses the entire subversive point of Mass, which has very little to do with religion and more to do with anti-establishmentarianism, protesting wars, experimenting with the clash of musical genres (to ... widely varying degrees of success), and reflecting a mirror back at late 60s-early 70s America.

When we get to something that is even close to being on-point (Dona Nobis Pacem), we play it WAY too fast for it to land and I feel like it doesn't work. It should be utterly destructive and catastrophic. The Celebrant actually destroys the sacrament in the score. We play it because we need a swing section. Just my opinion.

Check out this Dona Nobis Pacem (should autoplay at 1:25):

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whitedawn said:

I'm really trying with this show but something about it just feels off.

To each his own but despite the dirt, it's the first Cadets show in many seasons that actually feels right. Work to be done, more clarity with refinement but :

1. Chaos to opening statement/simple song.. a visual and musical moment.

2. Brass center field body work and ends with pointing over to rifle line who's opening statement to us is wow... a visual moment. 

3. Tbone feature/Percussion/uniform change... a great shift in visual/musical mood... a moment and that's all in the first 2 minutes.

Ofcourse, how one interprets a 2 hour piece into 11 minutes on a football field requires artistic license but it's a step up from everyone else's chop/paste/GE moment constructed shows. Besides Cadets, everyone else seems so shallow and sterile. They run from one cheap GE hit to another. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Hopkins on the closing segment

DCP is mentioned and in a complimentary, engaging way.

Mms will have some hotel time in Orlando. Good for the body, good for the soul. 

• Like 3