Cadets 2017

3 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

No doubt WSS is one of the great musicals of all time, but Cadets did a wonderful job with it in 2009.

The ballad was perfection!

Overall, I enjoyed Cadets' prelims performance Thursday.

However... isn't there always a "however"?...LOL... the "dancing Jesus" thing.... yikes.  Just wrong.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I would like to see On the Town.

Mike

If I got my way they would do On the Town for 2018 and finish out with Candide in 2019

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Overall, I enjoyed Cadets' prelims performance Thursday.

However... isn't there always a "however"?...LOL... the "dancing Jesus" thing.... yikes.  Just wrong.

THAT and the "can I get an amen" have Hop written all over them lol 

so tacky 

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

THAT and the "can I get an amen" have Hop written all over them lol 

so tacky 

I hear ya, George.  Good stuff going on in the show.... liking it... than stuff like that happens. Instant buzz kill.  LOL

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

No doubt WSS is one of the great musicals of all time, but Cadets did a wonderful job with it in 2009.  

They did a pretty good job with it in 1984 as well as I recall...

• Like 1

I have not posted much if any here in the Cadets thread. It has been interesting reading though, that's for sure. I am just going to share my thoughts. Cadets to me have always been sort of the poster child of DCI.  Be it Holy Name, or Garfield Cadets or Bergan county or just The Cadets it never really mattered. Growing up a drum corps fan and mm(not of The Cadets) The cadets are just what you think of when you think of drum corps.  DCI is better when the Cadets are doing well, imho. This show may not place as high as some thinknit should and will place higher and others would have it. So be it. I make no qualms that I am a BD fan but have always pulled for the Cadets. When I saw this show at the Premiere in LOS I thought uhoh, Cadets are in trouble. It was a mess. I have now seen it live fhree times throughout the season, a few times on FLO and and last night in the Theater. I've gotta tip my hat to this corps and staff. They stuck with it and built on it and this show has grown into my favorite show this year. Yes, that said from a BD fan. From a fan perspective this year as a whole has been great but the two moments of the night that get me on my feet are BD's ballad and the Amen ending of this show. Despite all the negativity and distractions WELL DONE Cadets!  Thank you for the product you have put on the field for us to enjoy.   

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

If the only thing that would get George replaced is the latest show performance, then guess what, get used to having George around for another decade. Because I've worked with plenty of George's in my lifetime and their only real skill is survival. 

Personally, I have been less active in and around cadets this year than any since ive followed them, because I simply am tired if the predictable angst and trumped up controversy. I'm really over Cadets now, and that sucks. If Cadets alums and backers are ultimately okay with the high school drama that has become their organization then that's their right. But I'm over it.

I'm also really kinda tired of the whole idea of Cadets alum being a monolithic entity that just blindly accept what's been going on. You have seen many people complain about their direction here, and if you haven't, then open your eyes. And for someone who's been "less active" in and around Cadets, you surely have a lot to say about them as well as Cadets alums and backers. 

I think the show ended up being schizo, with three personalities:

Part 1: The "Zingali Cadets." The whole first section is great. Really interesting and intriguing mood created. Music is wonderful (though I preferred the horn solo to singer), pacing is good, robes work well. Lots of potential, simplicity, good motion. Then...

Part 2: The "Little Geoffrey Cadets." The middle section has a Very Important Message. What is the message? Well, that's not clear. It involves SIN, we know that from the flags, but there is a lot of general angst and mess. And they seem to only resolve the sin by removing....the closest look they have to the traditional Cadets uniform. (???). Lots of clothing strewn around and the kid made to strip as a rebellious statue returns as a stripped...Jesus (???). Message not necessarily communicated or received.

Part 3: The "Oprah Cadets." 2014-levels of excess slathered on. We've got huge crosses on props. Not enough? Well how about a cross in each hand on double flags. Not enough? Well how about more crosses on giant flags? Still not enough? Well, we'll drag a big actual cross around the field. This isn't trusting the process, it is being insecure about the core idea. 

The music of Mass is great, which was reinforced by the clips of its simple beauty and haunting nature from 1983. It just got buried under a heap of questionable choices. Whatever Bernstein they end up with next year, I hope they let the power of the music speak for itself, with restrained visual support. You don't need to obscure genius with layers of fabric and glitz. 

• Like 2