Cadets 2017

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

yeah we are only a couple years apart - I personally do not consider myself "old" 

Old is only whatever you make it 

Just now, oldcadetsop said:

Old is only whatever you make it 

well I'm not old but you seem to speak from experience so I will take your word for it! 

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well I'm not old but you seem to speak from experience so I will take your word for it! 

Lol

19 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

Well you are a bit older obi wan 

I was born in '67 too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Saw my first show in 1967, when my older brothers got involved with a local NJ corps.

If some of you guys are "old school"... then I'm "one-room schoolhouse."  :tongue:

At least you HAD a schoolhouse. Mine was pounding rocks and painting on cave walls.  :8_laughing:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

that's amazing - I'm jealous. (not about the extremely old part, about the seeing 60s drum corps)

There were some great corps I used to watch back then, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights were my personal favorite growing up through the 60's, but I also used to see St Lucy's Cadets (loved their 66 show), the Bon Bons all girl  corps, St kevein's, St Joe's of Batavia every now and then, and a bunch of others. Good times, for sure.

Saw my first championship in 1969 at VFW Nats in Philly. Saw the Troopers, Kilties, Cavies, Des Plaines and others for the first time.  

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I was 9 that summer of '67. Really scary that it's been 50 years around drum corps for me. LOL.

The first corps I remember as being "wow, they're really good" was the Riversiders from NY City, in 1967.

My brothers' corps was in the Garden State Circuit, and the Riversiders dominated the circuit that year. They were #### good for a local corps.

Also remember seeing Blessed Sacrament here and there... and Garfield Cadets.  Good times.  I wonder where the time has gone.

Riversiders had a heck of a good corps in the GSC. I competed in that circuit in 68/69, and they were excellent, esp in 68.They did fade fast after that season, as many GSC corps used to do.

21 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

That's not at all surprising, since DCI has been assimilated into and taken over by BOA.

It's just too bad so many are being turned away based upon their inability to fit in a ballerina leotard, rather than their musical aptitude.

never thought about the possible problem a marcher might have with wearing a garment that made them more self conscious about how they looked...and I guess an argument could be made for staying in shape but maybe the marcher spends more time on their instrument and perfecting it than in the gym...The uniforms of old  helped mask our imperfections ..LOL

2 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

never thought about the possible problem a marcher might have with wearing a garment that made them more self conscious about how they looked...and I guess an argument could be made for staying in shape but maybe the marcher spends more time on their instrument and perfecting it than in the gym...The uniforms of old  helped mask our imperfections ..LOL

and it also made our corps look more.......uniform......in appearance.

All it is today is play-acting and trying to get the most face time on camera.  The opposite of uniformity.