Cadets 2017

I agree uniforms need to be more modern but there's no reason for spandex. Bluecoats... ok, they slid down ramps.. I'll give them that.

How about modern like how Crossmen have been the past few years

Maybe Cadets with black pants and a maroon top with some gold accents in places would work depending on the design

I agree uniforms need to be more modern but there's no reason for spandex. Bluecoats... ok, they slid down ramps.. I'll give them that.

How about modern like how Crossmen have been the past few years

Maybe Cadets with black pants and a maroon top with some gold accents in places would work depending on the design

I think the traditional colors are back. I shouldn't have said spandex... I meant a lighter form fitting material that breathes and is flexible.

"Spandex" has been the gallows humor among many Cadets for what they believe/fear is inevitably coming in drum corps.

I don't, however, believe the 2017 Cadets uniform will necessarily be actual spandex, though it will likely be something other than the traditional in material/weight/design.

Those Under Armour shirts are not at all expensive, and they are *much* more comfortable than any cotton t-shirt. Neither of those two facts are myths, though the wicking thing may be. Additionally, since they are form-fitting, they don't show under thin material (like corps bibbers/pants). I just switched my marching band to them for those very reasons, and it they look better, are more comfortable, and are no more expensive than other options.

in 2006 and '07, when he aged out, they were pretty expensive.

Has the C2 staff for '17 been announced yet?

I asked because I see that the November auditions in Pennington are maintaining the style of the previous years with C1 and C2 auditions held jointly while also initiating a new faculty for C1.

That the chosen school is "Hopewell" seems a most appropriate pun (hope well I make it.)

Just noticed that, while Dr. Jeremy Earnhart is introduced in the new designer press release with Sal Salas on the YEA Website, his name is not included in the 2017 Cadets staff list. What's up with that?

Just noticed that, while Dr. Jeremy Earnhart is introduced in the new designer press release with Sal Salas on the YEA Website, his name is not included in the 2017 Cadets staff list. What's up with that?

Good catch.

Perusing the percussion staff, that's not complete and up to date. I suspect the whole staff listing is still awaiting postings to move from someone's desk to computer list.

I also suspect that Dr. E. is in the throes of Texas MB season.

Edited by xandandl

@Tobias: I have no problem with a Blooesque type uni; however, part of the visual problem with the Cadets' GLORIOUS traditional uni was, honestly, it looks terrible during body movement segments.

It looks no less terrible or ridiculous than if you're wearing a mini half-skirtlet and a huge two-foot long feather sticking out of your head, or if you wear garishly-colored pajamas or screen printed onesies. The issue for me is that it's now more or less compulsory to add all that body movement, regardless of whether or not it's appropriately choreographed to the context of what's going on in the show. The basic vocabulary for brass and percussion body movement is limited to begin with because of those pesky and cumbersome instruments in their hands. So if a corps makes the design choice to use that stuff sparingly, even it makes sense to do so, they'll probably wind up suffering when the scores are tabulated. Not because what they presented wasn't necessarily extremely well thought out, constructed, coordinated, and performed, but because they didn't do as much squatting and lunging or rolling around on the ground as the other team, even if THEY looked just as ridiculous as you do. There simply is no room in DCI right now for more than one design approach when it comes to this thing, and that's a problem for me.

So all the sudden, after decades of excellence, if the Cadets decide to pare down the body stuff to something more "appropriate" to their look and identity (whatever people think that means), they lose. Yet if they play the body squat game like everyone else, people will complain that it doesn't look good with their uniform, no matter how well it's actually performed underneath, and they lose. It saddens me that there no longer seems to be room for more than one approach.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 2