Cadets 2017

lol. no one said it wasn't a uniform. :doh:

costume: a set of clothes for a particular occasion or purpose.

pretty much nails a dress uniform.

If I missed it I'm sorry, but what branch of the military, law enforcement, or sports team, at any level, have you been in no matter length of service?

no you didn't state those things.

For a reason. Because I don't believe them to be as black and white true as you make it sound like I do. If I did, I would have said so.

you just insinuated them. anyone who took the time to read your essay would not find it difficult to come to the same distillations which i posted in plain straightforward sentences.

You mean which you twisted through your own interpretation of things I never actually stated or believed.

I was astonished at some of the glaring errors I saw from performer to performer from the top corps this year on some pretty basic stuff -- non-matching foot positions, body line discrepancies, etc.

so this means top corps were clean , huh? ok

Please tell me you're not this obtuse. "Some of the glaring errors" does not equal "none of it was clean." Do you honestly not understand the meaning behind that? I'd like to think anyone who took time to read my essay would be reasonable enough to understand that.

...wearing the onesies or pajamas ....

It would be a crying shame if they felt they needed to resort to screen-printed leotards

and this means you just love those non-traditional uniforms? i see.

For the Cadets? The topic of this thread? Yes, I would not love to see them in non-traditional uniforms. And it they feel they are forced to go that route because that seems to be the only approach being rewarded. you better believe I have a problem with that. Which was the actual point of my essay, which you ignored completely and instead focused on putting words in my mouth and concepts into my belief systems that do not exist. For the record, there are many traditional uniforms I don't care for. And there have been some non-traditional uniforms that I'm perfectly fine with. It's this notion that we seem to be sliding down this path towards the non-traditional approach eventually becoming compulsory (while devaluing more traditional uniforms that in many cases are still every bit as effective as they've always been) that, again, is the point I was making which concerns me.

and instead of actually replying to any part of my reply and debating the points in a nice, rational fashion, you just complain that you didn't quite come out and say any of those statements. :doh:

Because I didn't say any of that stuff. And when I feel that someone is misrepresenting my thoughts and statements, then yeah, I'm going to some out and say so at that moment rather than waste my time replying to statements I never made or concepts I don't believe in.

thanks for clearing that up. good talk.

I do what I can. Besides, at least everyone now knows that YOU obviously hate all traditional uniforms and think that all moments of dance are inherently better and harder than any type of drill in drum corps because every single time a corps incorporates dance in their show, it's designed and performed flawlessly. Or do I misrepresent how you truly feel about the subject because you never actually said those things, probably don't believe those things to be 100% true, and are smart enough and experienced enough to have a variety of viewpoints (pro and con) about this topic which are more nuanced and complex than a simple generalization? Jeez man, I apologize for giving you that much credit. Now I know better. Good talk.

so basically you just repeated " i didn't say that" about 50 times. lol.

It's a uniform. And it's not a costume. I was in the US Navy. It might be a dress uniform, but it never was nor is called a "costume" by anyone in the military. Sometimes you people try too hard.

of course they don't call it that. but when you put clothes on for a "performance" it's a costume.

you're telling me THIS isn't a costume:

WTs3qxP.jpg

it doesn't make them any less of a bad ###. (in fact those swiss guards are extraordinarily well-trained soldiers. and lot of them are around NOT wearing the costume as well.) and i bet those guys have some pretty funny names for that outfit.

and no where did i suggest that THEY (the military) refer to it as a costume. but it meets the definition. and they DO use some other terms. ever hear of a fashion show in the Navy? is that where they put on dresses? um - no. pretty funny thing to say isn't it. guess those squiddies have no respect for the uniform.

ever heard the term 'monkey suit' ? guess that term must inspire some righteous fury too. :doh:

anyway the clothes that cadets wear? it's a costume for the performers. and yes it's still a uniform too. in fact bluecoats wore a uniform this year as well. of course some of you called them pajamas, onesies, and leotards (out of respect no doubt). DCP once again delivers!!

Edited by corpsband

If I missed it I'm sorry, but what branch of the military, law enforcement, or sports team, at any level, have you been in no matter length of service?

i've had to personally straighten up my gig line in my past. not any of your business though.

AND..

which is completely irrelevant to this thread AND to DCP since we don't require credentials to have an opinion on this board.

i think i know where you were going with that -- and yeah i do understand the whole tradition and respect thing with a uniform. i'll just point out (for the 100000th time) that i didn't say anyone in the military actually calls their uniform a costume. but everyone i've ever met who's served gets the idea that some times they need to "dress up" and "look pretty" for a "show".. guess what -- so do drum corps. and actors. and circus acts. when you dress up for a show, you ..... WAIT FOR IT .... put on a .... ALMOST THERE .. costume! so the term makes sense (even if it's never actually used in some situations).

anyway this horse is now Alpo -- so back to the Cadets.

Edited by corpsband

of course they don't call it that. but when you put clothes on for a "performance" it's a costume.

The Marine Silent Drill Team and marching bands do not perform in costumes and they have never been referred too as costumes.

it IS a costume just like every dress uniform is a costume. now -- if they were in their BDU's (and yeah -- i know all the branches now have their own version of BDU that are no longer called BDUs-- just because apparently) i would NOT say it's a costume. it's job appropriate clothing. nobody does their daily job in clothing anything like the Cadets / WP uniform. it's dress up clothing / ceremonial / aka a historical COSTUME. just like the vatican guards and the beefeaters. historically those costumes were once the real thing -- but not anymore.

and i know plenty of former military who'd agree :-)

in any case drum corps is live performance art so the word costume has always been appropriate!

btw here's what the WP kids actually wear day to day. doesn't look much like what the cadets wear!!

You are extremely disrespectful of countless people who have adorned a uniform in service and laid their lives on the line for their country...this is really not funny at all IMO...it's actually really quite despicable and I take offense by your comments calling a military uniform a costume. It is also disrespectful to The Cadets as well for that matter. I've said my peace and am not going to argue with you any further concerning this matter whether or not you choose to tear my comments apart or not.

The difference between a uniform and costume is that a uniform is a distinctive outfit that serves to identify members of a group while a costume is a style of dress, including garments, accessories and hairstyle, especially as characteristic of a particular country, period or people.

The Marine Silent Drill Team and marching bands do not perform in costumes and they have never been referred too as costumes.

and of course i have repeatedly agreed with you they that they don't use the term. oi vey!

anyway i like all styles of drum corps costumes -- traditional and modern :ninja:

Edited by corpsband

WTs3qxP.jpg

it doesn't make them any less of a bad ###. (in fact those swiss guards are extraordinarily well-trained soldiers. and lot of them are around NOT wearing the costume as well.) and i bet those guys have some pretty funny names for that outfit.

and no where did i suggest that THEY (the military) refer to it as a costume. but it meets the definition. and they DO use some other terms. ever hear of a fashion show in the Navy? is that where they put on dresses? um - no. pretty funny thing to say isn't it. guess those squiddies have no respect for the uniform.

ever heard the term 'monkey suit' ? guess that term must inspire some righteous fury too. :doh:

anyway the clothes that cadets wear? it's a costume for the performers. and yes it's still a uniform too. in fact bluecoats wore a uniform this year as well. of course some of you called them pajamas, onesies, and leotards (out of respect no doubt). DCP once again delivers!!

WTs3qxP.jpg

It looks like you're in an echo chamber of one here. Have a nice day.

Edited by HockeyDad