Cadets 2017

You are extremely disrespectful of countless people who have adorned a uniform in service and laid their lives on the line for their country...this is really not funny at all IMO...it's actually really quite despicable and I take offense by your comments calling a military uniform a costume. It is also disrespectful to The Cadets as well for that matter. I've said my peace and am not going to argue with you any further concerning this matter whether or not you choose to tear my comments apart or not.

Yeah - it is what it is. Some folks get it, some don't

The Cadets uniform is a unique thing in the activity. It should be cherished and respected

IMO a "Dress Uniform" with the classic Cadets M&G West Point style should be used at concerts, retreats etc if in certain years the "show" needs a "costume" - as long as it is revered and preserved, I'm find with it. Carry two sets in such years

I do get it that some fans of other, newer, less traditional corps don't "get it" - when your most successful uniforms are just knock offs of other corps uniforms it's not quite as special, let's face it. And when you just change it annually it truly is a costume for the show - which is totally fine as well

A real good friend of mine sat with me a few years ago (the year before the did away with the fan network 2013?) to watch drum corps videos in what could be considered a drum corps marathon...he had never seen ANY corps before but he was a military guy so drum corps had a bit of appeal...he wanted to see how drum corps progressed over the decades...so we watched several videos from each decade...I'd give him a little background of each corps...but other than that I kept mostly quiet for him to take in the entire experience on his own...It became quite obvious to him that corps from the 70's and 80's made less "errors" and as he put it...way better marchers...but I explained that focus as the activity developed was moving away from that aspect to allow for greater creativity in the activity to take place...it really was an observation more than anything else...not a like or dislike of either style IMO...we went to Allentown ( later that season) and his favorite show in 2014 was Oregon Crusaders...he couldn't understand why they didn't score better even...He also REALLY liked the Cadets as well...said they seemed to be the only corps out there who knew how to really march...not my words...I always find it interesting when non-drum corps people view shows...they see things from a whole different perspective it seems...

very interesting... I always find that perspective extremely valuable

Also - that Cadets 2014 corps marched FANTASTIC. Feet were so good. No wonder he was impressed!

It looks like you're in an echo chamber of one here. Have a nice day.

yep because that 'fashion show' comment drove the point right home didn't it. not much to say when actual military terns run right up against your outrage.

anyway it's apparently perfectly ok to call one corps uniform "onesies" and "pajamas"-- which is how the whole the costume thing got started in the first place.

i don't mind being the voice in the wilderness.

but it sure is interesting to see all those wielding such righteous outrage pass right over the insults. imo it speaks far more loudly than anything i could type here. i kind of hope the cadets wear onesies next season -- probably make a bunch of heads explode on here. and i'll enjoy the fireworks display.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

"You are extremely disrespectful of countless people who have adorned a uniform in service and laid their lives on the line for their country...this is really not funny at all IMO...it's actually really quite despicable and I take offense by your comments calling a military uniform a costume. It is also disrespectful to The Cadets as well for that matter. I've said my peace and am not going to argue with you any further concerning this matter whether or not you choose to tear my comments apart or not."

LOLO

• Like 1

no. It's a uniform. A revered one. It's a dress uniform.

My best friend AND my boss AND my nephew all went to West Point. They take a lot of pride in that uniform.

As do many Cadets who have marched over the years

Anyone who has ever served will tell you that any military dress uniform is absolutely a "costume". Hell, they're referred to that directly in some cases.

• Like 2

If I missed it I'm sorry, but what branch of the military, law enforcement, or sports team, at any level, have you been in no matter length of service?

Well, I served in the US Army for seven years including tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and he's absolutely freakin' right.

• Like 2

Well, I served in the US Army for seven years including tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and he's absolutely freakin' right.

meh -- it hardly matters.

this whole thing was just a detour because the OP didn't want to admit that he wants the Cadets to continue to win doing the old same drill and marching the same old uniform and that he finds those dancey-dance, onesie-wearing corps insulting to his sensibilities. it's fine. being able to post the exploding heads video made it all worth it!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

Thank you for your service and thank you for being a voice of reason in this strange conversation.

Considering that the military defends our freedoms, including speech, it's strange to me that people would wrap themselves in its righteousness in order to attack someone over relatively innocent choice of words.

• Like 2

Thank you for your service and thank you for being a voice of reason in this strange conversation.

Considering that the military defends our freedoms, including speech, it's strange to me that people would wrap themselves in its righteousness in order to attack someone over relatively innocent choice of words.

especially since i made it clear that it was just about meeting the definition and not actually using the word. heck they even tried going all amish on me with shunning! (which is hilarious since I'm in Amish Country, PA ) it's fine -- people like to pile on. (and i think george secretly enjoys taking offense at things.) anyway -- i'm wearing my big boy pants :-)

Edited by corpsband