Cadets 2017

Doubt it. By all indications (bumping up the number of tubas) they're going for a bigger hornline than prior. Maybe two horn spots here, a pit spot there, two guard spots here etc. Hard to imagine them just dumping 8 from any caption.

Folks, how often is the gripe that electronics take up time when we could be observing talented performers? I'll take this over a synth patch drum break any day.

how many performer spots from other captions are sacrificed for synth patches?

if it's even a real number, i'm betting it's a lot less than 8.

i'd love for the cadets to increase their hornline. saying they'll do that while also having a multi-member dedicated vocal ensemble is nonsensical. no way they're going to destroy their competitive advantage with percussion, CG, or pit/electronics.

sadly (for me, personally), brass is becoming more and more marginalized every season. i understand it's what the majority of fans want, but i find it a little sad, and yes, i'm being selfish.

https://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/1455-cadets-recruiting-vocal-ensemble-for-2017

I am auditioning for this. I'm sure some of you won't be super happy this is happening (which is fine, free speech is important), but I think it could be beautiful if done right! :)

Good luck with your audition!

I'm intrigued with this move. Could be a very interesting production fully utilizing some talented voice contributions.

how many performer spots from other captions are sacrificed for synth patches?

if it's even a real number, i'm betting it's a lot less than 8.

i'd love for the cadets to increase their hornline. saying they'll do that while also having a multi-member dedicated vocal ensemble is nonsensical. no way they're going to destroy their competitive advantage with percussion, CG, or pit/electronics.

sadly (for me, personally), brass is becoming more and more marginalized every season. i understand it's what the majority of fans want, but i find it a little sad, and yes, i'm being selfish.

80 horns + 18 battery + 16 fe leave 36 for the guard and vocal ens. I doubt they'll march 28 guard.

heck a lot corps march 72 now -- there's your 8 VE members right there.

• Like 2

https://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/1455-cadets-recruiting-vocal-ensemble-for-2017

I am auditioning for this. I'm sure some of you won't be super happy this is happening (which is fine, free speech is important), but I think it could be beautiful if done right! :)

Go live your dream!

• Like 1

80 horns + 18 battery + 16 fe leave 36 for the guard and vocal ens. I doubt they'll march 28 guard.

heck a lot corps march 72 now -- there's your 8 VE members right there.

I'll find out what's up but agreed. Not seeing them cut down on guard which is more important than brass with current system. One could win brass and still come in 4th at finals as Cadets did. Maybe 74 brass and -2 in front ensemble, Edited by Tobias

Good luck with your audition!

I'm intrigued with this move. Could be a very interesting production fully utilizing some talented voice contributions.

I agree... this could be very cool.

Gotta be honest... the DCI corps' (including Cadets) early attempts at use of vocals/singing in the early days after all that was legalized...well... too many of those attempts bordered on amateurish, sometimes pathetically so. Not all of them, but IMO too many of them. This I believe. :ninja:

But it seems the corps, for the most part, have now figured it out and are making much better use of the audio tools available to them. Hopefully, what the Cadets have planned for 2017 fits that "better use" category.

I'll find out what's up but agreed. Not seeing them cut down on guard which is more important than brass with current system. One could win brass and still come in 4th at finals as Cadets did. Maybe 74 brass and -2 in front ensemble,

Cut 8 tubas. Go with the synth. Boom

• Like 1

Cut 8 tubas. Go with the synth. Boom

Ive argued that in past. Get rid of the contra line altogether since you can't hear half of them anyway, and modern audiences and members would rather hear/feel theater boom anyway. Sure you'd still have crown, cavies, Bloo, scv and phantom, but the rest may as well get rid of them.

Sounds like they got the rights to the music they were hoping for

If nothing else this will be interesting

I'd expect numbers to look something like:

70 brass

3 DM

8 choir

14 FE

17 battery

38 guard

If they drop to 64 brass those would go to guard but I would expect 70 brass with 12 to 16 tuba