Cadets 2017

I've been hoping a corps would try adding a choir. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. (And as a drummer, even I would drop the timpani these days)

Mike

That's fascinating. I wouldn't. Why add a choir? As the argument seems to be made that electronics can handle the tuba and timpani parts, they certainly can take care of a choir part as well.

• Like 2

That's fascinating. I wouldn't. Why add a choir? As the argument seems to be made that electronics can handle the tuba and timpani parts, they certainly can take care of a choir part as well.

The same reason I oppose all of them. It's not authentic, it doesn't sound quite the same, and it just seems like the easy way out. I understand the logistical side of the argument...but that is pretty much it.

A live choir is much better than a synth patch,Tekk.

I agree...

In reference to this choir...Why get a separate choir?...why don't you just use horn, guard, percussion players to do double duty for the choir stuff??...much like crown did with their vocals many years...

Edited by Liahona

I agree...

In reference to this choir...Why get a separate choir?...why don't you just use horn, guard, percussion players to do double duty for the choir stuff??...much like crown did with their vocals many years...

Same reason they didn't use a trumpet player for the solos last year or a pit member for the violin or a guard member for Adonis

I agree...

Would you hand choir members horns and have them do double duty? Of course not. So do you think singing well can be done by anyone? No. Singing in drum corps has been abysmal. Flat. Unsupported. Thin. Just no. If you want to add singing, use voice majors.

Same reason they didn't use a trumpet player for the solos last year or a pit member for the violin or a guard member for Adonis

Same dumb reasoning you mean? The trumpet player on the wedding cake was stupid...and the Adonis as well....as far as the violin player...that was the only role that made sense IMO...

• Like 1

1) A real choir has WORDS (we're not talking patched ooohs and ahhhs here)

2) Popular culture LOVES good, meaningful (words) singing

3) It's totally new, if it's done well (although Crown was very good a cpl years ago with it...there's still way more to do)

It's going to have to be something dazzling and central to the show, especially if they're looking for "vocal majors." If it turns out to be merely another rendition of Hallelujah...no one will care. I want to hear and see the vocalist's personalities come through. Think Bloo trumpet soloists but voices instead. And if it's mixed right (not a given at all) that difference between voices and the rest of the ensemble can be maxed into something very fresh.

Would you hand choir members horns and have them do double duty? Of course not. So do you think singing well can be done by anyone? No. Singing in drum corps has been abysmal. Flat. Unsupported. Thin. Just no. If you want to add singing, use voice majors.

dude...most of these horn players today are WAY more talented than you think and can do BOTH...I know that for a fact from several horn player that I've heard sing...and a few I was surprised they liked to do corps as well...and they are really very good...so I disagree...