Cadets 2017

gotta have something besides excellent brass and percussion for music to score well now. i think we'll see more experimentation like the cadets are doing from a lot of corps. tip of the iceberg, imo, and definitely a result of what judges chose to reward this past season.

gotta have something besides excellent brass and percussion for music to score well now. i think we'll see more experimentation like the cadets are doing from a lot of corps. tip of the iceberg, imo, and definitely a result of what judges chose to reward this past season.

This.

You make the (erroneous) assumption that such people aren't already marching in a drum corps performing in an alternate discipline. Plenty of vocalists who might dance, spin a flag or play an instrument simply because they just enjoy the activity. (Think woodwind players who pick up a horn just to march in the summer.)

If there are they haven't been used because the vocals have been bad. So, you won't convince me.

If there are they haven't been used because the vocals have been bad. So, you won't convince me.

Troopers 2015 vocal soloist was a guard member plenty before the vocal idea. Staff found out she was a vocal major in college so they asked her to sing in addition to spin, etc.

A live choir is much better than a synth patch,Tekk.

As is a live Tympani and whatever else people seem to be proposing to get rid of.

1) A real choir has WORDS (we're not talking patched ooohs and ahhhs here)

2) Popular culture LOVES good, meaningful (words) singing

3) It's totally new, if it's done well (although Crown was very good a cpl years ago with it...there's still way more to do)

It's going to have to be something dazzling and central to the show, especially if they're looking for "vocal majors." If it turns out to be merely another rendition of Hallelujah...no one will care. I want to hear and see the vocalist's personalities come through. Think Bloo trumpet soloists but voices instead. And if it's mixed right (not a given at all) that difference between voices and the rest of the ensemble can be maxed into something very fresh.

Lol "popular culture" totally destroyed Cadets in 2006 when they had a singer.

• Like 1

Exactly this

A stellar visual program perhaps?...there is little downside to adding the singers from a competitive standpoint...hop's genius at work...he may just get a pass for singers EVEN if their sounding below par by the brass judge...LOL