Cadets 2017

A stellar visual program perhaps?...there is little downside to adding the singers from a competitive standpoint...hop's genius at work...he may just get a pass for singers EVEN if their sounding below par by the brass judge...LOL

The singers will, what, ruin the vis score?

I have a feeling you won't have to worry about Cadets vis this year. Members over there praise the current VCH as the savior as their season last year, and given the placement, that's really saying something about where they were before he stepped in.

Hard to be anything but skeptical about this. Cadets have a pretty poor track record when it comes to including voice, not to mention sound mixing in general.

Why is Hop obsessed with the "special guest star"? Singer in 2006, baton twirler in 2004, violinist and Adonis last year, narrator in 2014... they seem to struggle to integrate these elements in a pleasing way, but he seems to keep going to that well.

So much for not generating too much off-season controversy. At least people are talking, I guess?

• Like 2

Hard to be anything but skeptical about this. Cadets have a pretty poor track record when it comes to including voice, not to mention sound mixing in general.

Why is Hop obsessed with the "special guest star"? Singer in 2006, baton twirler in 2004, violinist and Adonis last year, narrator in 2014... they seem to struggle to integrate these elements in a pleasing way, but he seems to keep going to that well.

So much for not generating too much off-season controversy. At least people are talking, I guess?

When it comes to you, ANYTHING they do creates "controversy" so what difference does it make?

• Like 1

Is there any place on the sheets that a good vocalist would earn a corps points? Let's say the Cadets find the next Whitney Houston, give her the most ridiculous solos, and every crowd is in awe, 5 min standing O's everywhere they perform..... these performances start attracting thousands of non drum corps fans to shows just to see her.... would this vocalist affect the Cadets score at all?

It's not all about the scores, of course, but I do think the Cadets have to figure out how to place higher if they want to remain "The Cadets" and I'm not sure this helps. But I'm glad to be educated and proven wrong, if I'm wrong.

Nevertheless, I'm excited to see their show this summer, with or w/o vocalists.

Is there any place on the sheets that a good vocalist would earn a corps points? Let's say the Cadets find the next Whitney Houston, give her the most ridiculous solos, and every crowd is in awe, 5 min standing O's everywhere they perform..... these performances start attracting thousands of non drum corps fans to shows just to see her.... would this vocalist affect the Cadets score at all?

It's not all about the scores, of course, but I do think the Cadets have to figure out how to place higher if they want to remain "The Cadets" and I'm not sure this helps. But I'm glad to be educated and proven wrong, if I'm wrong.

Nevertheless, I'm excited to see their show this summer, with or w/o vocalists.

Ensemble Music and Effect captions would be impacted, IMO. Not sure if any of the field judges would be doing an evaluation. What has happened in the past with vocal, or other special elements like the violinist?

Troopers 2015 vocal soloist was a guard member plenty before the vocal idea. Staff found out she was a vocal major in college so they asked her to sing in addition to spin, etc.

If one considers the Troopers Music Coordinator and Brass Arranger as well as DCI Hall of Famer (not to mention her father) as "Staff", then yeah, "Staff" found out.

Regardless, maybe the young lady will find a home with Cadets this summer. Good luck to both!

Lol "popular culture" totally destroyed Cadets in 2006 when they had a singer.

The 2006 show.

Exhibit A of a "throw the kitchen sink at 'em" concept gone horribly wrong. :tongue:

• Like 1

A stellar visual program perhaps?...there is little downside to adding the singers from a competitive standpoint...hop's genius at work...he may just get a pass for singers EVEN if their sounding below par by the brass judge...LOL

Why do already pre-judge the ability of others, whether it be soloists/choir for Troopers, Crown, BAC, Cadets, Phantom, or others? Just being snide?.

Additionally, no where is it written/legislated/restricted that singing (choir) MMs are not able to add to visual program, confined to front sidelines, or not able to add to creative context.

Edited by xandandl