Cadets 2017

Most of the BD criticism was that Les Chatelaines All Girls from Canada had already done the chair thing back in the '80's. Nothing inventive in BD some claimed.

Not how I remember "most" of it being, but memory is pretty subjective. Lots of shrieking about chairs on the field at all is what I thought comprised most of it.

Troopers 2015 vocal soloist was a guard member plenty before the vocal idea. Staff found out she was a vocal major in college so they asked her to sing in addition to spin, etc.

I don't think that turned out well for them either. I know it's shocking, but asking someone to sprint 80 yards then sing a ballad results in an out of breath ballad.

If you're going to add voices, arrange it right, find dedicated performers and get them exceptional training. You know, like corps do with every other musician on the field.

Mike

• Like 1

I don't think that turned out well for them either. I know it's shocking, but asking someone to sprint 80 yards then sing a ballad results in an out of breath ballad.

If you're going to add voices, arrange it right, find dedicated performers and get them exceptional training. You know, like corps do with every other musician on the field.

Mike

Agreed. But when a marching member is jumping in to sing, you're getting a winded performer. Throw in various venues and acoustical variations, vocals are a challenge. Interested to see how Cadets design this...

Mike

I would agree she is not a great example of success for vocals/singing in a show. I could never evaluate her as a singer because she was always out of breath from poor writing and her mic almost always had issues.

A stationary dedicated chorus is a much more positive route to take. Though I need them to prove it's a good idea, I'll be a cynic until I see good integration.

I would agree she is not a great example of success for vocals/singing in a show. I could never evaluate her as a singer because she was always out of breath from poor writing and her mic almost always had issues.

A stationary dedicated chorus is a much more positive route to take. Though I need them to prove it's a good idea, I'll be a cynic until I see good integration.

Sacramento Freelancers Winter Drumline used a vocal group in the late 90's early 2000's at WGI competitions......they weren't marching or playing percussion, they were solely there to sing. I think they did a pretty good job of integrating it.

Edited by dbg
  • Like 1

...which is obviously subjective anyway since someone else may think it's good integration.

Not how I remember "most" of it being, but memory is pretty subjective. Lots of shrieking about chairs on the field at all is what I thought comprised most of it.

My problem with that show was not the chairs being used per se... a prop's a prop, no problem here with props being used in any corps' show...but that the entire show evoked nothing meaningful, to me at least, about the Great Depression years.

I've said this before elsewhere... my mom, dad, grandparents, plus various aunts and uncles, lived through that era. Trust me... they spent no time at all dancing on or around chairs. LOL. They were simply trying to survive. So... in that context... the chairs made no sense to me at all.

Thanks for Les Chats photo.

Heard a rumor that the choir sing-a=long from the design team was prompted by Aungst's great rendition en-tour showers and it's MoTown!

(I guess that way Hopkins guarantees there is "R-E-S-P-E-C-T!"

Camp will tell. Bring warm clothes. Low teens forecasted.

Got to update this uni; they're still in black & whites; that's so 2016. How about some maroon and gold?

singing.png

Edited by xandandl